Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB 2 port behaving as 1.1

USB 2 port behaving as 1.1
eme
Aug 28, 2007, 07:35 PM

Hi all,
I have a Macbook 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo supposedly with two USB 2.0 ports, but i'm starting to feel they are running at 1.1 speeds.

To my knowledge USB 2 devices should work at around 480Mbits/s (60MB/s) and 1.1 at 12Mbits/s (1.5MB/s).

I have an iPod Shuffle with 1GB and it takes around 6 minutes to transfers 850 MB and about 4 minutes if i try to transfer a ~700MB file.

So my question is how much time does it take for you to trasfer ~800 MB to a usb 2 device?
Or how much time it takes to fill your iPod Shuffle?

And if it is behaving as 1.1 anyone knows how to fix it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 07:45 PM

Keep in mind those values are theoretical maximums; in reality you can get up to about half that. You're getting 19Mbps (850MB in 6 min) to 23Mbps (700MB in 4 min), which is well above the capability of USB1.1. I'd guess Apple's just using slow/cheap flash memory in the shuffle. 20Mbps is about 17X on the flash memory speed rating scale (same as CDROM drives), which was good a couple years ago but kinda pokey today.

FWIW, it takes me about 30 seconds to transfer 800MB over USB2 to an external hard drive.

eme  (op)
Aug 28, 2007, 07:51 PM

That is what i mean it should take secons not minutes, with other usb drives i have the same low speeds, so i don't think it is the shuffle

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2007, 08:20 PM

Your time sound close to what it takes me to transfer that kind of data to a USB 2.0 flash drive connected to my MBP C2D.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by eme View Post
That is what i mean it should take secons not minutes, with other usb drives i have the same low speeds, so i don't think it is the shuffle
Or you buy cheap USB drives.

OS X's USB drivers aren't known for being the speedy, but they shouldn't be that bad. Try a USB hard drive, preferably 3.5" instead of 2.5".

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 10:06 PM

Alternatively, if you have an old USB 1.1 hub you could try routing the shuffle through there and see if the speed has noticeably declined from being plugged directly into the computer.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2007, 11:22 PM

kinda off-topic somewhat but I do not want to start another thread for this question:

I have a PB G4 with 1.1 ports, if I purchased a 2.0 USB hub would that work or create a bottleneck as the hub itself?

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2007, 11:29 PM

It wouldn't give you USB 2 speeds between your computer and your devices, if that's what you're asking.

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules