Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > save memory to disk on sleep?

save memory to disk on sleep?
njf_osx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 10:04 PM

Is this some sort of new feature but is not working yet? I found this when i got my new g4 quick silver with 9.2 is it a 9.2 feature?

Look at this picture of what im talking about.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by njf_osx:
<STRONG>Is this some sort of new feature but is not working yet? I found this when i got my new g4 quick silver with 9.2 is it a 9.2 feature?</STRONG>
Its been there since 9.0, iirc, but it's only enabled on the portables. I'd love to see a hack to activate this on the desktops; I'm guessing its probably not a hardware issue, instead just a gestalt thing. (Ain't nothin' but a gestalt thing.)

KBase #60429
Enabling the "Preserve memory contents on sleep." feature tells the iBook to write the contents of system RAM to a file on the hard drive as a safety measure in case of a complete loss of power during sleep.

The system software creates a file duplicating the contents of the computer's memory (RAM) and stores it on the hard drive. The iBook takes a few more seconds to wake up from sleep during which it is reading the file from the hard drive.

The saved file, which is invisible, is called "Memory Contents" and occupies space on the hard drive equivalent to the virtual memory size. The file is used even when the "Preserve memory contents on sleep" option is unchecked, protecting your data in case battery power is depleted while you are using the computer.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2001, 11:41 PM

I thought it was deactivated (grayed out) on portables as well because of a bug with the process. Or did they fix it?

And yes it would be cool to have the feature on desktops...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>I thought it was deactivated (grayed out) on portables as well because of a bug with the process. Or did they fix it?

And yes it would be cool to have the feature on desktops...</STRONG>
yea it was deactivated on all machines because some bug prevent some comps from waking up properly from sleep

MacsKickAss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 07:17 AM

It was worse than that if memory serves me correctly (I'm really tired so I could be thinking of something else, but I don't think so). It corrupted the entire hard drive resulting in data loss and the need to reformat.

Worse then just a failed feature. Apple's fix was mearly to disable it.
"All good things must come to an end."

Forum Links
Forum Rules