Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strange Mac Problem

Strange Mac Problem
MacPC
Forum Regular
May 16, 2009, 03:33 PM

Hi,

I have a G4 iMac running 10.4.11. The lamp shape one. Recently something strange happen to it, that's really driving me nuts!!

When I right click, the menu comes up with strange names like N156, N156.1...
I can't figure out what is wrong and how to fix it, can any of you gurus help me?

Thanks in advance.

Cold Warrior
May 16, 2009, 03:45 PM

have you done anything to your Mac -- installed, reinstalled, updated, etc? Any other weird behavior like increased hanging or increased beachballs?

Those N designators are part of OS X's method for default text names.

My recommendation is to boot from your OS X 10.4 restore/install DVD and repair your system and hard drive, if necessary. If that doesn't help, download and reinstall the OS X 10.4.11 combo updater.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 17, 2009, 05:11 AM

Hi Cold Warrior,

thanks for the reply. The Mac otherwise works just fine. No hanging or beachball. I have tried to repair the the volume with the install DVD, I have tried OnyX, I have tried repair permissions, and I reinstalled 10.4.11 combo, none of them help. I really want to avoid a full reinstallation because the DVD is 10.4.5, it will be a long process to update to 10.4.11, and, I have tons of applications.... I took a look at the link provide, even tho it doesn't help in this case it does shade a light, it looks to me the XML file (Localizable.strings) somehow has a missing link to something, I wonder if there is an easy way to fix it? I wonder how this could happen in the first place?
( Last edited by MacPC; May 17, 2009 at 05:21 AM. )

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2009, 05:12 AM

Do you have a time machine backup?
Early 2008 Mac Pro 4gb RAM
iPod Classic 160gb/iPod Video 30gb
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 17, 2009, 05:22 AM

Hi, hatehereyes

unfortunately Tiger 10.4.x doesn't have time machine.

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2009, 05:35 AM

Oh I see, I didn't know that.

Maybe make a list of all your apps so it's easier to reinstall them?
Early 2008 Mac Pro 4gb RAM
iPod Classic 160gb/iPod Video 30gb
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Cold Warrior
May 17, 2009, 07:14 AM

10.4 does have 'archive and install', which is a good way to reinstall your OS while preserving users, network settings, and most applications.

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 17, 2009, 05:07 PM

Yippy!! Fixed!!

I dug into this directory: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lpoj, the file Localizable.strings is all wicked. Luckily I have another G4 mini running the same 10.4.11, I copied it to the iLamp, Everything is back to normal.

I am a happy man again!! Too bad for some reasons I can't upload file on Macnn, I wish you guys can see how wicked it is!!

Thanks all for your inputs.
( Last edited by MacPC; May 17, 2009 at 05:27 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2009, 04:32 AM

Umm, and what managed to screw that file up in such a wicked way?

A regular user should never have to touch anything in /System. And AFAIK any app that tries to screw around in there needs admin authorization too. So, what happened?

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2009, 11:27 PM

I really have no clue how this happened. This is a mystery to me too. The Localizable.string file is a totally different file, don't know how it gets there, I have no idea where it came from. I am the only user of this Mac and I had not temper with it. Prior to that, I ran OnyX, it said that the disk needed to be repair so I did just that. Weird!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules