Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini media center

Mac mini media center
MacPC
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2009, 07:01 AM

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my media system, right I have a laughable 22" clunky CRT TV with cable connect. What I like to do is to get a 32" HDTV with HDMI input and get a Mac mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo so that I can watch Netflix movies and many other videos. I understand that Apple made a DVI-HDMI converter, I am wondering if the HDMI is pretty much a universal standard? And also on the Apple site, it says the mini has combined optical digital audio output/
---------------------------
Audio Built-in speaker, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
---------------------------

Does this mean I can have a 5:1 audio if I get a speaker system with a 5:1 decoder?

I am not familiar with the audio specification so I will appreciate if someone can help.

TIA.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 08:49 AM

The Mac mini comes with Mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort. A Mini-DVI to DVI adapter is included with the mini. So you can either use that together with a DVI->HDMI adapter or you can get a MDP->HDMI adapter from a third party.

HDMI can include audio signals, but the Mac mini will use separate outputs for audio. If you get a speaker system or amplifier with digital input you can connect the Mac mini through that and have the mini output 5:1 audio through it's 'headphone' port.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2009, 09:50 AM

Hi thanks for the reply.

>>HDMI can include audio signals, but the Mac mini will use separate outputs for audio. If you get a speaker system or amplifier with digital input you can connect the Mac mini through that and have the mini output 5:1 audio through it's 'headphone' port.

That's what I am confused about, so are you saying that the headphone port not only provide analog audio but digital 5:1 audio as well?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 09:58 AM

Exactly. It's a combined port. You can use an adapter like this one to go to TosLink.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 10:05 AM

Note: the optical will support full-resolution stereo, or 5.1 (but only in AC3 or DTS compressed formats - as on Dolby Digital DVDs).

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2009, 08:19 PM

Don't forget to download Plex.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
That's what I am confused about, so are you saying that the headphone port not only provide analog audio but digital 5:1 audio as well?
Yes, but it's either / or.

TOSlink is the right choice to go into a A/V receiver.

-t

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2009, 01:37 PM

Whoa, thanks guys. I always know the mini is a a great little guy with a lot of power and hidden potentials for the price. Love the mini.

Apple should promote it more!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules