Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs this week?

New iMacs this week?
GoDucks
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 02:43 PM

All the local retailers in my area (Toronto) have big sales on iMacs this week. $200-300 off all models. Seems to me they might be clearing out stock before new models come out this week?

ooninay
Mar 18, 2007, 03:50 PM

I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing... any sales going on in other cities?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say this week. The platform Apple is likely to use (Intel's Santa Rosa mainboard and CPU combo) isn't set to launch until April, maybe even May. But I do think retailers are looking to clear out existing stock in advance of new models.

From what I've seen, it looks as though Apple is whittling down supply from the outside in. Europeans were the first to report low supply, and that may be the case soon here in Canada.

Originally Posted by GoDucks View Post
All the local retailers in my area (Toronto) have big sales on iMacs this week. $200-300 off all models. Seems to me they might be clearing out stock before new models come out this week?
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 09:57 PM

This is new. But then wouldn't you see stock decline in MacBooks and MacBook Pros?
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 08:10 PM

But Leopard hasn't come out yet and I don't think they would waste money on advertising new imacs now before Leopard arrives.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 04:52 AM

AppleInsider | Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

I doubt however we'll see new iMacs before Santa Rosa ships. So even if Apple introduces new iMacs in April they probably won't ship until May.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I doubt however we'll see new iMacs before Santa Rosa ships. So even if Apple introduces new iMacs in April they probably won't ship until May.
More like a WWDC introduction I would say.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 08:09 AM

I just wonder when Apple will relent to demand for a mini tower.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2007, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I just wonder when Apple will relent to demand for a mini tower.
Before asking this question again, let's wait and see what the new iMac will be exactly. The chances to be surprised (get a more modular machine) are low but you never know.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
AppleInsider | Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

I agree.

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
More like a WWDC introduction I would say.
You could be right, but then again, I don't think there's really anything stopping Apple from shipping new iMacs in May with 10.4.9 or 10.4.10.

Before asking this question again, let's wait and see what the new iMac will be exactly. The chances to be surprised (get a more modular machine) are low but you never know.
I'm still betting on another all-in-one design.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 12:57 PM

I can't wait to see what the new design is.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I agree. I'd be pretty surprised to see a mini tower or pizza box as a replacement for the current iMac.

Although I would like to see a 'Yikes' style MP be introduced, I doubt the iMac will become a HEM anytime soon.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 03:45 PM

You could be right, but then again, I don't think there's really anything stopping Apple from shipping new iMacs in May with 10.4.9 or 10.4.10.
Actually, they could also release it with Leopard 10.5 in May too. Remember, Tiger was released in April, despite the predictions it would be released at WWDC in June. The updated G5 iMac was released days later.

That makes sense actually, since it gives time to the developers to chew on the OS guts for a bit before attending the conference sessions.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2007, 07:55 AM

Perhaps I am wrong but I think Santa Rosa was postponed to May. In this case I see it difficult for Apple to have ready the new systems the same month. And I don't believe Apple would rush a new generation of iMacs with the old technology, when the new one is so close to availability.

Well, this has a chance perhaps above 99%, but I have no reasonable guesses as to what this may be. Apple has tried basically two different designs: standalone display-computer (in two versions, cathode tube and flat panel) and the heliotropium design (my favorite actually). I don't see Apple ressurecting the last one for cost and serviceability reasons, so it should be some variant of the first option. Or something else. But what?

P
Mar 22, 2007, 10:01 AM

We don't know for sure Apple will move to Santa Rosa for the next iMac revision - it just seems like a logical continuation of the current model. For one thing, they could do an interim update now - maybe just the 17" and 20", or just combine them into one 19" model considering how cheap those displays have become - and add Santa Rosa in the next update. My favorite option is that they move to Conroe/965P with some intelligent throttling to keep fan speeds civilized except when running at max.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
We don't know for sure Apple will move to Santa Rosa for the next iMac revision...
No , but I think that my argument still stands.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2007, 12:19 PM

Perhaps I am wrong but I think Santa Rosa was postponed to May. In this case I see it difficult for Apple to have ready the new systems the same month. And I don't believe Apple would rush a new generation of iMacs with the old technology, when the new one is so close to availability.
I think you may be right about May. This article states that Santa Rosa is coming May, with some saying May 9. However, you can be 100% sure that Apple has had Santa Rosa test equipment for many moons now. I would not be surprised to see new Santa Rosa iMacs in May, shortly after Santa Rosa is officially released.

This does give more ammo to those predicting a June WWDC iMac launch though.

That article also states a max 2.4 GHz clockspeed, as the mobile T7600 part at launch. However, we suspected as much.

We don't know for sure Apple will move to Santa Rosa for the next iMac revision - it just seems like a logical continuation of the current model.
Not for sure, but I'm confident they will. There is no real reason not to go to Santa Rosa, at least for a flagship consumer model like the iMac.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 12:20 PM

We don't know for sure Apple will move to Santa Rosa for the next iMac revision
Apple Moving to Santa Rosa

Well, it'd be a bit of a pain to get their buildings over the Golden Gate bridge, but I'm not really sure what they'd hope to gain from it.

"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules