Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 7)
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
One of the defining features of netbooks is low cost.
They still cost too much for what you get - cheap hardware and a cheap OS.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Yes, up till 1-27-10.
I'm just saying it's incredibly unlikely that a tablet produced by Apple would fall into the same category as netbooks given that low cost is a defining feature of netbooks.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
They still cost too much for what you get - cheap hardware and a cheap OS.

-t
Perhaps. In any case, it's unlikely that Apple could produce a netbook.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perhaps. In any case, it's unlikely that Apple could produce a netbook.
Didn't Steve Jobs state that Apple wouldn't be able / willing to compete in the cheap netbook space, because it was not possible to build a good computer for that little money ?

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm still confused by the central problem of network connectivity. A tablet that can't connect to the internet for email, web etc is to crippled to work and while wireless connection is a no brainer it still needs to connect when out and about. This would seem to mean 3G. But I already pay per month on my iPhone. Another monthly payment for my tablet is pushing it.

I can see the cell carriers offering subsidised tablets in the way that they now offer "free" laptops but it's still two data plans. I'd love it if they allowed you to run it off your iPhone data plan, but judging how the cellco's treat iPhone tethering they are going to be looking to gouge hard on any tablet data plans.

How Apple resolved this is going to be key to the success of the tablet.
As long as they allow you to tether your iPhone to the tablet there is no issue. If there is a built-in 3G option (which I hope there is) you could chose to activate it; if you don't think the expense is worthwhile based on your usage pattern, tether whenever you want the mobile interweb.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 01:39 AM

Tablet is a an anagram of battle. I think the new product will be for military purposes.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Tablet is a an anagram of battle. I think the new product will be for military purposes.
That, or it could be a metaphor for medication, symbolizing the sedative powers of technology on an increasingly tech-saturated society. Crap.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Except if you fly RyanAir, where they also demand that you turn off your iPod. (Or at least they have, both times I’ve flown with them, even though both times it was an iPod Shuffle which doesn’t have any kind of non-wired connectivity capabilities)
Most airlines I fly with ask passengers to turn off all iPods and any other kind of audio/video device during taxi, climb, and decent (in the US usually whenever you're <10,000 ft). This pertains to all such devices regardless of radio transmission capabilities. The airlines aren't worried about interference (note there's already in-flight wifi), so the fact that it's an iPod and not an iPhone is irrelevant to them. The real reason for such rules it passenger attentiveness. The idea is that during critical periods of the flight passengers should not be distracted and should be able to hear crew instructions at all times. Hence newspapers/magazines are allowed, but a walkman or iPod isn't.

The exception is the personal entertainment system which on some airlines works during all phases of the flight. The airline can pause that program in case of a PA so they don't consider that a problem.

During cruise flight OTOH it's really unnecessary for an airline to ask people to switch off their iPhone. Obviously there are enough idiots who don't want to engage airplane mode or for some reason cannot do it, but if you're able to show that little airplane symbol, they should be ok with it. Note however that if they insist, regardless of how unnecessary such a measure might appear to a passenger, the crew request has to be followed. Not complying with such a request could get you into serious trouble (especially in North America and the UK).
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 19, 2010 at 05:40 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 05:51 AM

Didn't Steve Jobs state that Apple wouldn't be able / willing to compete in the cheap netbook space, because it was not possible to build a good computer for that little money ?
Steve also once said they'd never enter the cell phone market.

Just saying. However, I don't see such a tablet coming in below $1k either.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 05:53 AM

If the tablet turns out to be coupled to some kind of e-book service, I wonder what chances there are of this service also being made available to the iPhone/iPod touch.

Sealobo
Jan 19, 2010, 06:05 AM

it better has a proper 3.5mm stereo jack.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 07:33 AM

899€ for the MacBook in France, 1149€ for the cheapest MBP. How are they going to price this thing?
( Last edited by mattyb; Jan 19, 2010 at 07:48 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
899€ for the MacBook in France, 1149€ for the cheapest MBP. How are they going to price this thing?
It's not even certain if they'll sell it in Europe.

Speculation: Apple tablet may be US-only on launch | 9 to 5 Mac

As or the US, the present product families and price structure point at a price somewhere between ~$500 and ~$900. However, there's a lot of speculation abut ~$1k. Skeptics will point out that with the 13" MBP so close in price, that won't work. The fanbois OTOH wager the device will be so cool, everybody will gladly pay more for this tablet than for a real notebook. And then some. We'll see after Jan 27.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Most airlines I fly with ask passengers to turn off all iPods and any other kind of audio/video device during taxi, climb, and decent (in the US usually whenever you're <10,000 ft). This pertains to all such devices regardless of radio transmission capabilities. The airlines aren't worried about interference (note there's already in-flight wifi), so the fact that it's an iPod and not an iPhone is irrelevant to them. The real reason for such rules it passenger attentiveness. The idea is that during critical periods of the flight passengers should not be distracted and should be able to hear crew instructions at all times. Hence newspapers/magazines are allowed, but a walkman or iPod isn't.
This I know, and I’m perfectly fine with it (though on RyanAir, they told me to close my book during taxi/take-off/landing, too, which I found a bit unnecessary). It’s when they tell you to keep all electronic devices, including an iPod (Shuffle!) turned off for the entire flight that I start to question their training and/or motives.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 09:31 AM

-t
That's pretty much exactly the statement I was thinking of.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 10:31 PM

maybe they did manage to develop a compelling product for that little money ? (ie it wasn't possible back then, but it is now possible ?)

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Covert shallow water inland opps?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 11:09 AM

Only a few more days until the rumourmill can stop churning.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:20 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

^^^ Ironically, I am a lot less interested in this than I really should be as an Apple geek.

I know something's coming, but curiously I have basically no want for it at this point. Perhaps that will change next week once I actually see the thing though.

Meanwhile, there seems to be many people who are convinced this is going to be second coming of iPod or something, despite the fact they've never seen any specs or lists of media partners for it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 12:28 PM

More like the second coming of the iPhone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:34 PM

OK, third coming of iPod then, since come to think of it, iPhone was the second coming of iPod.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 12:36 PM

Was it? I wasn't around for the first coming of the iPod and I don't remember much other than the "cures cancer" jokes about the iPhone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:40 PM

Well, I personally felt the iPhone was going to revolutionize smartphones while keeping the spirit of iTunes and iPod... and it did. So yes, I think the iPhone was indeed the second coming of iPod. It was actually a smartphone that wasn't a complete PITA to use, and broadened the already huge reach of iTunes.

(They sort of tried with AppleTV, but that didn't pan out.)

The key with an iTablet is to further extend the impact of iTunes, both for software and for hardware sales, while maintaining ease of use and portability. However, I am having a very hard time seeing it being an instant success like the iPhone was, and like I said, I have no pre-release desire for one. In contrast, I had been salivating for a hypothetical iPhone for years before it was released.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:43 PM

Still not interested in it. The concept of carrying a tablet around is slightly intriguing, but if I'm near a PC/Mac anyway, what's the point?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Still not interested in it. The concept of carrying a tablet around is slightly intriguing, but if I'm near a PC/Mac anyway, what's the point?
Doesn't that argument apply to laptops as well?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Good point, and one I thought of. The thing about a laptop is that it has a tactile keyboard and it doesn't cover the screen. I thought about if I'd like a tablet as a replacement, and it really comes down to ergonomics. If I'm sitting, I have to hunch over more to type. It's as simple as that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 12:50 PM

Good point, and one I thought of. The thing about a laptop is that it has a tactile keyboard and it doesn't cover the screen. I thought about if I'd like a tablet as a replacement, and it really comes down to ergonomics. If I'm sitting, I have to hunch over more to type. It's as simple as that.
I think that's one of the largest points of contention about the iPad. My concern is I'd need to type one handed since the other hand would be holding the tablet up (like a piece of paper).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:51 PM

It does, but the question (as mentioned in different forms already in this thread) is if you're going to be carrying an iPhone and a laptop, why buy an iTablet?

Can the iTablet replace the iPhone? No, at least not if it's any bigger than an iPhone.

Can the iTablet replace a laptop? Possibly, but I do not think it's likely, for those who really need a true laptop. Maybe yes for some others. Personally, I might rather just have an 11" netbook with full sized keyboard, decent CPU, and Bluetooth... at least initially.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It does, but the question (as mentioned in different forms already in this thread) is if you're going to be carrying an iPhone and a laptop, why buy an iTablet?
Perhaps my continued interest in the iPad could be explained by the fact that I don't have an iPhone, nor interest in getting one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 12:59 PM

Do you have a cell phone, and do you access the net on it, or at least use it for personal organization?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:00 PM

There would have to be a *MAJOR* shift in how text is input into the iPad before I can believe for a nanosecond that it can replace a laptop. How would you use it on a plane? In the car? What's great about laptops is that they have built-in stands.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:01 PM

Do you have a cell phone, and do you access the net on it, or at least use it for personal organization?
Yes, I have a cellphone (a flip-phone), and I use it mostly for text-messaging and occasional calls. No personal organization.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 01:01 PM

Can the iTablet replace the iPhone? No, at least not if it's any bigger than an iPhone.

Can the iTablet replace a laptop? Possibly, but I do not think it's likely, for those who really need a true laptop. Maybe yes for some others. Personally, I might rather just have an 11" netbook with full sized keyboard, decent CPU, and Bluetooth... at least initially.
I will get an iTablet/iPad for travel only. Much more convenient for checking email/web surfing than carrying around a laptop. Plus, if I can load several movies on it it will be much better than watching movies on the small iPhone screen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:03 PM

There would have to be a *MAJOR* shift in how text is input into the iPad before I can believe for a nanosecond that it can replace a laptop. How would you use it on a plane? In the car? What's great about laptops is that they have built-in stands.
I've never used a laptop in a car, but if I were going on a place, I'd opt for one over the other depending on what I was planning to do. I don't think there's much question that a laptop would be better than a touchpad for getting any serious work done. But if you're going to watch movies, tv shows, listen to music, organize pics? Wouldn't the tablet be a better choice on the plane?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:08 PM

I've never used a laptop in a car, but if I were going on a place, I'd opt for one over the other depending on what I was planning to do. I don't think there's much question that a laptop would be better than a touchpad for getting any serious work done. But if you're going to watch movies, tv shows, listen to music, organize pics? Wouldn't the tablet be a better choice on the plane?
Only if I'm not going to write anything, which I do.

I guess a tablet's good for MINIMAL text input.

Let's take travel out of the equation for a second. Let's say you carry this thing around with you. If it's flat on the table, your hands have to be on it to type, and you have to bend your neck and back more to read with it. You can't add a keyboard to it because then you might as well have a laptop, and you can put a stand on it because then you can't type.

Am I missing something?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:09 PM

Only if I'm not going to write anything, which I do.

I guess a tablet's good for MINIMAL text input.

Let's take travel out of the equation for a second. Let's say you carry this thing around with you. If it's flat on the table, your hands have to be on it to type, and you have to bend your neck and back more to read with it. You can't add a keyboard to it because then you might as well have a laptop, and you can put a stand on it because then you can't type.

Am I missing something?
No, you're not. I heard once a rumor about some kind of kickstand. I think this is one of the bigger questions to be answered when its unveiled.

But for participating in these forums I think it'd be good enough.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I will get an iTablet/iPad for travel only. Much more convenient for checking email/web surfing than carrying around a laptop. Plus, if I can load several movies on it it will be much better than watching movies on the small iPhone screen.
Exactly.

I have to travel for business, and need to bring my company-issued Dell (aargh, I know).

So I would never bring along my MBP as a second laptop. The iTablet/iSlate/iPad however might be an option.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 01:11 PM

No, because that Mac/PC I'm near to is in fact a notebook. OTOH I'd never ever give up my MBP for some tablet gimmick. I need to get work done. Not fool around.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:13 PM

No, because that Mac/PC I'm near to is in fact a notebook. OTOH I'd never ever give up my MBP for some tablet gimmick. I need to get work done. Not fool around.
I don't think anyone is claiming the tablet will be some kind of productivity tool. Its more targeted at your downtime.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:14 PM

Totally agree. I love my MBP and although it's heavy, it gets done what I need done. I can't see developing an app on the road, or doing a blog post with a tablet.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:14 PM

I think this is *exactly* the point of differentiation Apple will (want) to make:

MBP: getting work done
iTablet: fooling around (as in leisurely surfing, watching movies, listening to movies, iChat...)

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:15 PM

Well the forums seem to be agreement on that point.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 01:16 PM

Its more targeted at your downtime.
My iPhone and my g/f are just fine for my "downtime".

And if I want to watch a movie I'm doing it with my bad ass projector, definitely not on some 10" screen covered in finger grease.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:17 PM

I don't think anyone is claiming the tablet will be some kind of productivity tool. Its more targeted at your downtime.
Maybe. I'm thinking along these lines:

remember how the Newton worked in markets where you needed something portable and networked, and it doesn't weigh a ton? I can see a tablet filling that need.

Also, and maybe I'm a little off here, but there are a lot of places where you see tablet-like devices in science fiction, and even though the actors aren't really USING these devices, on screen they look rather impressive. The problem is that they're seen with minimal input. A user pushes a few buttons and that's it. I suppose in the medical field, all the information would be done at a workstation, and the tablet would be for visualization.

Or just movies.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:17 PM

My iPhone and my g/f are just fine for my "downtime".
Then don't buy it? Personally, I'm curious how Apple will sell this to iPhone users. Perhaps this is targeted for everyone who didn't decide to pick up an iPhone?

And if I want to watch a movie I'm doing it with my bad ass projector, definitely not on some 10" screen covered in finger grease.
I'm sure that'll work great on an airplane, or on vacation, or on the subway.

I don't get people who are snarky about a product just because it doesn't appeal to them personally.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 01:22 PM

It's an iPhone for the older, blinder (richer) generation. The boomers.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 01:23 PM

Dakar, I believe you're reading too much into this. None of that was supposed to be snarky. I'm just explaining why all the stuff that has so far been mentioned as possible iSlate features sparks next to zero interest on my behalf.

And I'm betting that once Apple also overcharges for it many others will gladly pass too. However, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong about this. As a stockholder I'm all in favor of Apple making lots of profit. I just have my doubts this is the way to achieve that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 22, 2010, 01:24 PM

Dakar, I believe you're reading too much into this. None of that was supposed to be snarky. I'm just explaining why all the stuff that has so far been mentioned as possible iSlate features sparks next to zero interest on my behalf.

And I'm betting that once Apple also overcharges for it many others will gladly pass too. However, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong on this though. As a stockholder I'm all in favor of Apple making lots of profit. I just have my doubts this is the way to achieve that.
I'll put it this way: I don't see how it isn't a luxury item for someone with an iPhone and a MacBook.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2010, 01:27 PM

I don't get people who are snarky about a product just because it doesn't appeal to them personally.
I don't think he's being snarky, I think he's just making a point that the hype isn't living up to the obvious perks that this device can give. I have to agree. Will the iPad make calls? No? Then why buy one?

The iPad's problem is that it falls between a phone and a laptop without any legs for it to stand on by itself (no pun intended). It's ergonomically awkward as a typing device and and impractical for portability for a mobile device.

I'm sure Apple will make it do amazing things, but there are some very basic features that any device needs, and I can't see the iPad working in two of them.

Unless Apple is going to do something that nobody's seen before, but I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules