Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 in powerbook battery

12 in powerbook battery
rowelld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 11:22 PM

for those who own a powerbook..12 in. how long does your battery last? mine seems to suck 1% every minute or 30 secs. sucks

dennis cheung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 01:16 AM

hi, i just got a 12 inch powerbook and absolutely love it to death. The battery lasts quite a while with the energy saver stuff turned on. I have contrast set to around 4 dots, speakers off, and airport on the whole time and i'm getting an easy 3 hours with surfing, installing (not compiling), and basic ssh type stuff.

This is exactly what I wanted in a laptop, small, semi-powerful, reliable, and 3+ hours of battery life!

Right now for instance i have around 66% of my battery left and I'm seeing a 2:13 hour battery life.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 02:01 AM

I am in my house surfing the net (wirelessly), chatting on iChat and with the screen on about half-brightness I am reporting a time of 3 hours 8 minutes with 92% battery remaining.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

blase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 04:53 AM

I began developing a bad battery about 5-6 months in to my ownership. As it wasn't a priority, I prolonged calling Apple about it...big mistake.

According to multiple levels of techs and frustration, cajoling, you name it. Their bottom line to me was "batteries are a consumeable, and after 6 months we will no longer cover them." End of discussion.

I was unhappy to say the least, nowhere in their 1 year warranty do they mention this limitation, and while Li-Ion batteries have their pros and cons I'm well versed on treating rechargeables right...bottom line: it's a bad battery, and Apple should cover it.

Fortunately they operate an Apple store in my state, so there's a registered agent, off to small claims court we go I 'spose.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2004, 06:04 AM

With 2-3 bars brightness (I work at night), AE on, 20ft away from Basestation and a brick wall in between. I get around 4:10 when just browsing, browsing and ICQ at the background.

This is much better compare to 3:30 before the Battery Update 1.1.

Oh, Reduced CPU setting for Battery.
( Last edited by phantomo; Jan 18, 2004 at 10:35 PM. )
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules