Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I thought white spots were a problem of the past?

I thought white spots were a problem of the past?
booshi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 01:58 AM

I bought a 15" AlBook on January 3rd, and got it a few days later. It has been great until recently, when I noticed a white spot. It isnt several, just the one round one in the top-center area of the screen. I just find it weird because people who have gotten computers around the same time haven't had any problems. I guess I need to send it back to Apple, unless anyone else is STILL having this problem.

ablao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by booshi:
I bought a 15" AlBook on January 3rd, and got it a few days later. It has been great until recently, when I noticed a white spot. It isnt several, just the one round one in the top-center area of the screen. I just find it weird because people who have gotten computers around the same time haven't had any problems. I guess I need to send it back to Apple, unless anyone else is STILL having this problem.
Booshi, maybe you got one of the early batches. Whats your serial number?

booshi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 02:25 AM

It's V7402XXXXXX.
( Last edited by booshi; Feb 17, 2004 at 11:52 PM. )

booshi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 07:36 PM

Is this even fixed yet? I thought it was fine to order when I ordered mine, but now I want to know if I should even send it in now.

ulmer
Feb 17, 2004, 08:58 PM

I got mine in October, sent it in for white spots in December, and just sent it in this week for a white spot on the replacement screen that appeared a couple weeks ago. It's in the same location you mentioned. I'd definitely send yours in for repair.

Good luck,
Brian

ablao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by booshi:
It's V7402117NRX.
Mine's V7352XXXXXX. And my screen's fine (knock on wood).
I'd return it or get it fixed. Hoe are you handling it? Is it in a bag? What setting is your brightness on?

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 10:07 PM

Hmm. If it is a large white spot, then try this:

Turn off all the lights and make sure the room is pitch black. Then set a black screen on your powerbook and turn the brightness up all the way.

If you see a gray spot on the black screen where the white spot is on the white screen, then you have what I have. In this case it might be difficult to get them to actually believe it is there, because it isn't caused by spacers, but by tension.

If you have just a black area there, then call up and get it repaired.

Edit: I should probably say, you should send it in no matter what. There is no excuse for such a blemish when you paid so much for the machine.
( Last edited by BearOso; Feb 17, 2004 at 10:18 PM. )

booshi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 11:54 PM

Yeah, I'm calling Apple tomorrow. I just hope there isn't a long turn around time. I'm sick of being computerless when I use one a lot (Computer and Electrical Engineering Major). I spent all of November and December without a computer because my old PC laptop died.

Forum Links
Forum Rules