Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBooks?

New iBooks?
mikeini
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 09:18 PM

Whats up guys.
I was workign with my buddy on sat who had to show off his brand new 15" al PB (from his old ti). anyhow, i am still waiting for the right time to get my ibook and he said to wait (which i was for the update). .but he heard a rumor that they were reportedly going to scuff the iBook line and start a new with another replacement.

have you guys heard anything? i have done a few searches and couldnt find anything.

anyone?

mike

g4baker
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 09:20 PM

I don't think they're going to replace the iBook, nor do I think they're going to be updated anytime soon. As someone said on another forum, the PowerBooks are long overdue for a redesign/speed bump, etc. If they updated the iBook before the PowerBook, it would further close the small gap between the two models.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and buy now. It's a great laptop! I'm very happy with mine .
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 12:51 AM

yea i know they are. and i also expect a pb update very soon .. prob within the next few months.

it just threw me off guard. now it comes down to teh age old decision - pb vs ibook. while my heart has always been set on teh ibook, i gotta go to the apple store tommorrow and play with the pb.. i just dont need the extra's.... although it is .3 lbs lighter

g4baker
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 11:00 AM

I haven't personally checked recently, but is the Apple refurbished store still selling the PowerBook G4 867 MHz for $1099? That was a good deal....

I hope you find one you like.
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Apr 6, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by g4baker:
I haven't personally checked recently, but is the Apple refurbished store still selling the PowerBook G4 867 MHz for $1099? That was a good deal....

I hope you find one you like.
If you think about it, the new iBook G4s is basically using the same technology as the older PB tiBooks, with the exception of the newer video card.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 06:20 PM

Hold your horses. According to macrumors buyers guide, an iBook upgrade can't be *that* far away since it's some time since the last update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I am also in the marked for a new Mac. Perhaps I am going for an iBook this round as well. They are the abselute best offer Apple has in the lower segment these days. (I am not in the marked for an all-in-one desktop )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 06:40 PM

yea i feel ya. i guess its just a wait and see kind of response.

but now its just back to the age old decision - pb vs ibook

ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 08:16 PM

Yeah I'm trying to decide whether to get a refurb. iBook (G4/800) for $950 or a refurb 867mhz pb for $1100. I wanna go with the iBook and save some money, but that "having a powerbook" factor is making me lean toward the powerbook.

Whats more worth it? USB 2.0, Extra battery life, cheaper; or just the fact that you have a powerbook?

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by ww2junkie42:
Yeah I'm trying to decide whether to get a refurb. iBook (G4/800) for $950 or a refurb 867mhz pb for $1100. I wanna go with the iBook and save some money, but that "having a powerbook" factor is making me lean toward the powerbook.

Whats more worth it? USB 2.0, Extra battery life, cheaper; or just the fact that you have a powerbook?
you get morke batt life out of the ibook? they arent "equivilant"?

and i thought the ibook came with usb 2.0 .. but thats not that big a deal unless you have an external hard-drive and will be transferring a lot of info ...

am i right?

but i feel your dilema

ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 01:36 AM

Sry my post was a little confusing. Yes you get more battery life out of the ibook and the ibook has USB 2.0

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 04:01 AM

I dont think they''ll get rid of the iBook's...I would get one now,I got mine Saturday and couldnt be happier!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2004, 09:28 AM

I've been saving for an iBook too...but now I'm thinking I might go the extra bit further and save for the powerbook. Whatever happens, I'm going to save until something new comes out - from either end. Because they both are due to be updated.

I think we'll see something this summer at MacWorld.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
I've been saving for an iBook too...but now I'm thinking I might go the extra bit further and save for the powerbook. Whatever happens, I'm going to save until something new comes out - from either end. Because they both are due to be updated.

Well here's teh thing. Everyone wants laptop updates but the iMac and eMac are the oldest of the Mac line right now. We will probably see them updated/upgraded first. Before we see a G5, iBook and Powerbook update.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:

Same here. I am expecting to have enough money for a new machine in the summer sometime. I can't wait! Hopefully there is a new revision(s) around that time. *drool*

Sniffer gone old-school sig

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 06:04 PM

Apple won't be at Macworld in the summer, so I wouldn't hold out hope for anything there. If anything is to be released at a show in the summer it would be at WWDC (June 28th?).

The iBook can't be updated before the powerbook, as they are already too close together. Watch for the release of new powerbooks, THEN new iBooks.

The desktops need refreshed soon, but they are done by different development teams than the laptops so I can't see them effecting the laptop release dates too much.

Incidently, Apples next "Keynote" show will be in less than 2 weeks, on Sunday the 18th at the opening of NAB.

Cheers,

James

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:12 PM

I believe your friend is quacking out of his ass.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules