Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New to the ibook, any suggestions?

New to the ibook, any suggestions?
orlando12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 03:28 PM

Hey all,

Longtime viewer and mac enthusiast.

I recently made the switch and bought a 14in 1.2ghz ibook w/ superdrive, and couldn't be happier.

The computer is lighter than my old dell inspiron 1100, and is 10x more visually appealing to me.

A few questions I have(sorry if it has been covered) are as follows:

1. Anybody know from personal experience or word of mouth, about a good ibook backpack that has a removable sleeve in it for protection?, I ve seen threads on sleeves and backpacks, but not combo's.

2. I haven't used the superdrive yet, however, I keep reading that Toast is the standard for burning backups of your dvd movies... is that true, or is there an inherent program in OSX that lets you back up your movies on dvd more easily.
Sub question: Ibooks only take dvd-r, correct?

Thanks for all your responses/any other general ibook tips would be apprecaited!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 03:08 PM

Question 1) I have no idea but I am in the same market.

Question 2) I use Toast with my desktop and I love it but there are alternatives. There are a number of share/freeware programs that you can find at macupdate.com or other places and the Sep. Macworld mentions a program that will copy DVD's in just one click, but the issue is in my car and I can't remember the name of the program. I am pretty sure the superdrive in the ibook is -R only.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 03:47 PM

When I got my first dual-USB iBook, I saw a lot of posts from people here saying that the Gap was selling a messenger bag with a pouch that fit the iBook pretty well. I bought that, and have been using it ever since (now with my 2nd iBook!). My iBook is 12", but there was plenty of room in that pouch, and the 14" would probably fit as well.

I'm not sure if the Gap still sells them...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

rastatero
Jul 28, 2004, 10:01 PM

This thread was really helpful when I decided to purchase a sleeve for my 12" iBook.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=178702

-- Tony

Forum Links
Forum Rules