Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library coming November 8th

Delicious Library coming November 8th (Page 2)
cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by new newton:
That makes it no better than manual entry, because if I'm moving through a stack I've got to stop and enter the info myself because an entry consisting only of an unrecognized UPC is useless.
Well yes - but I thought it was able to search based on title and things also - so that, if it doesn't get the info based on the UPC, you can enter just enough for it to find the proper entry on Amazon, and it will populate the rest of the fields.

That's not ideal, but it's still better than manual entry.
cpac

Chad A Wright
Nov 8, 2004, 09:47 PM

I'm looking for a few features. I may be missing them, or they may not exist in this program.

Is there a way to create a seperate "Wish List"? I'd like to make this list without adding the titles to my library until I purchase them. Also, is there a way to have it calculate the value of the entire collection?

DVDpedia does both of these things with ease. I think I'll maintain both programs until one really outpaces the other. If Library had these few simple features, it would be a lot better than DVDpedia, but not yet. Maybe in the next release.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Chad A Wright:
Anyone else having problems buying the license. I go through the whole process and the click place order. It processes for a moment then says unable to place order. (Secret Error Code: "".) whatever that means. Any ideas?
Yep... having the exact same problem...

So they are out at-least $60

Dave

Chad A Wright
Nov 8, 2004, 10:12 PM

Plus, with Halo 2 coming out tomorrow, my time to input all my DVDs will be seriously limited. This is honestly one of the first times something on a Mac hasn't "just worked."

Oh well. I e-mailed support, but haven't heard anything back yet.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point of this software?

Why would I need to see all my books and movies on my computer, when I can just go to the real bookshelf? Am I going to loan so many things out that I really need to keep track?

Maybe people with huge collections...

Anyway I tried the iSight thing out of curiousity and it is incredibly frustrating. Even with the barcode in perfect focus it just kinda sits there and then if I wiggle it around a bit, it beeps.

...underwhelmed.

new newton
Banned
Nov 8, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Well yes - but I thought it was able to search based on title and things also - so that, if it doesn't get the info based on the UPC, you can enter just enough for it to find the proper entry on Amazon, and it will populate the rest of the fields.

That's not ideal, but it's still better than manual entry.
I just tried it, and I'm thinking manual entry is better. When it searched for "ESPN NFL 2K5" it came up with the strategy guide for the game, rather than the game itself. Once it had that info it wouldn't let go of it, even though it was incorrect. I wasn't given the option to say "yes, it's that item" or to select from a list of items with matching titles.

So I had to remove the item from my library, then scanned the UPC again. This time I manually classed it as a video game and entered the title, thinking that with that critical piece of info it would seek out the correct information. Nope. Once you make a partial entry manually it doesn't allow you to send it out to find the information.

Definitely not impressed. This one has over-promised and under-delivered.

osxisfun
Nov 8, 2004, 10:54 PM

i just wish they would take down the flash on the home page.

it makes my dual G5 go vroooooooooooooooooooooommmm and does not add that much at all compared to a html version.

oh well.

OpenStep
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point of this software?

Why would I need to see all my books and movies on my computer, when I can just go to the real bookshelf? Am I going to loan so many things out that I really need to keep track?

Maybe people with huge collections...

I agree... I really don't see the point of this either. Seems like a lot of wasted effort entering all these items into your computer when you can just physically look at them on a shelf.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

I can see the use for it... I lost three DVDs to friends last year. The thing is... I don't remember who borrowed them as people will borrow them from time to time. I don't even want to get started with books. I must have 5000 of them floating around.

That all being said, it's one of those things where you either say "FINALLY!!!!" or "I would never use this..."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 11:29 PM

I used my old school sony camcorder and it worked like a charm. Sometimes it takes a few seconds... but it's better then entering UPC codes.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 11:42 PM

It's certainly nifty, but $40 is way too much for me. The only shareware that's managed to get my money lately has been less than US$10.

My mom might be interested, though. She likes to keep track of the books she's read. I've migrated her from a simple Excel spreadsheet to Books. She might appreciate the barcode scanning feature.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 11:55 PM

If they could only get this to launch files. Say you have a DivX of a movie or an PDF of a book... You could launch the movie etc. etc.

Just an idea...

gregjsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 12:49 AM

I've been using this with my iSight with no problems. I scanned in 158 DVDs with a 98% hit rate. Took about 30 minutes.

Books was far more difficult to get a hit, about 60%. Haven't tried the CDs or Games yet.

Scanning in Comics would be very nice.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 01:40 AM

They really need to consider an alternative "generic" icon. The brown box looks ugly. I guess they were going after the "school book" look, but I would rather see a nice clean white book/CD/DVD.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 02:20 AM

don't know why you wouldn't love this program, unless you don't lend out media. or maybe you don't have many friends/books. well, i don't have many friends, but my wife does. and dvds just seem to disappear. books are worse.

the main reason to keep a database of your media, however, is for insurance purposes. i used to enter them in a homemade FileMaker database. then i got Books, then Chronopath Library.

my question for y'all - and Delicious: is there an upgrade path for Chronopath Library users? i already paid for that, and the Chronopath developer helped them build Delicious Library.

kschulhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 04:02 AM

Ok... Reasons people find this type of software valuable:

- Insurance purposes
- Ability to track "loans" to family/friends
- Wish List, Sell, Replace/Upgrade Bookcases (makes more sense to keep this with the media library than in iCal's To Do's or Stickies which I used to do)
- Ability to sort and organize your media any way you'd like (You cannot do this by looking at your physical bookcase)
- iPod import or Printed Lists (memorizing a large library is not an option and scribbling out a list of your large library from your bookcase isn't either)
- For many, a large enough library (especially comic books) forces boxing and labeling. Quickly searching for an item via Delicious Library to see what box to look in is invaluable.

Again, the ability to organize your media into many bookcases is very helpful. I now have all my Anime grouped. I have all my Horror grouped (cross media... This will be great for next Halloween). I have all my Multiplayer games grouped. Trust me, when you have a large gaming library and your family/friends want to play something together, this is far easier than trying to rattle off games from the top of your head or standing in front of your bookcase sliding games in and out checking to see if you remember if a certain game is multi-player. One click and I can see ALL multi-player titles and we can get to playing much quicker.

Our company could create a bookcase for each developers technical books. We already have a library of community books that we have a check out sheet to mark who borrows and from what department. Entering all books into Delicious Library and splitting out developers' books into their own bookcase would make it VERY easy for anyone to search for the right material and know exactly where to find it no matter what floor/cubicle they reside.

The list goes on as to how you can use this or similar applications.

I understand how some people do not find it useful, especially when they do not own a large library. This does not however invalidate its existence.

To downplay its usefulness is like saying a cookbook application is useless because I can open up any physical book or encoding and listen to MP3s is a waste of time because I can just pop the original CD in my player.

Hopefully this gives some insight and helps stem "useless app" posts.
.: kschulhu :.

new newton
Banned
Nov 9, 2004, 04:43 AM

To many folks it would be useless. If you don't care to track your stuff, what's the point? It's like any application--if you don't have a use for it, it's useless for you.

I'd love to use this software. I think it looks great, but I need something a bit more usable/polished than it is at this point. Hopefully they'll reinvest their Amazon referral money into making the product live up to its potential.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 07:36 AM

Anyone else having problems buying the license. I go through the whole process and the click place order. It processes for a moment then says unable to place order. (Secret Error Code: "".) whatever that means. Any ideas?
I had the same problem and wrote to the authors. Got this response...

We have discovered a bug that makes buying impossible when upgrading
from DVDpedia. We are going to try to fix this soon though.

Guess that's why I couldn't buy it either. The software works fine for me though. Especially the iSight bit. That was really cool. Worked quite well. Follow the tips on their website to get an accurate scan...

Cheers,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
my question for y'all - and Delicious: is there an upgrade path for Chronopath Library users? i already paid for that, and the Chronopath developer helped them build Delicious Library.
Yes, $29.95. The same discount for Library owners as for other third party book catalogue owners, which in my opinion is a bit poor. Chronopath Library users should be given a better discount considering that app has now ceased development.

They obviously spent most of their development efforts on the look of Delicious Library and iSight scanning. After what is essentially a version 3 app there are still not that many improvements nor international support. CD and movie entries are still problematic.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 10:31 AM

don't know why you wouldn't love this program, unless you don't lend out media. or maybe you don't have many friends/books. well, i don't have many friends, but my wife does. and dvds just seem to disappear. books are worse.
Do you really need a $40 program to replace a 2� post it note that says "Mike borrowed Joe vs. the Volcano"?

I can appreciate the application... it looks and feels amazing... but the $40 price tag seems steep unless you know this is going to make a great addition to your heavily used apps. I like it because my GF is always buying books. 1/2 of the time I don't even know what she has. So I was able to scan in 5/6 books in less then a minute and read up on the book before committing to read any of them.

The music thing is a little odd because I don't lend out music (the original CD)... and I generally have all my music converted to MP3 via. iTunes.

DVDs are cool... but you could make the same argument of "Why not just look at your stack of DVDs". Sure you aren't 100% sure that nobody has stolen one, but it's just as easy to make a list...

Again, I'm not knocking the application, but rather the "this is the best thing since sliced bread" mentality. I see it as being very valuable for a good handful of users.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 10:51 AM

They really should have a "bulk add" function. When typing in numbers manually, I'd much prefer to enter 10 or 15 numbers at once, then let the program search for matches for all of them, rather than adding one, pressing command-N again, approving it, etc. etc.

Also, would anyone else want a way to link to files on disk? I'd love to use this as an interface to my DVD rips, for example. And it'd make a neat alternative interface to iTunes, which they seem to suggest they're considering.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Also, would anyone else want a way to link to files on disk? I'd love to use this as an interface to my DVD rips, for example. And it'd make a neat alternative interface to iTunes, which they seem to suggest they're considering.
I was just thinking the same thing except in the context of being a cataloguing app for all the pdfs and/or paper copies of scientific journal articles I have copies of*. It would make quite a lot of sense for it to behave in a manner similar to iPhoto in that instance - the images of your files in Delicious Library, should also link to the actual file itself in some manner.

* However, that would only be truly beneficial if there was a "Smart collection" system so that e.g. any Nature articles added were auto-sorted into a Nature collection. Otherwise, I might as well stick to the likes of Endnote.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by gregjsmith:
I've been using this with my iSight with no problems. I scanned in 158 DVDs with a 98% hit rate. Took about 30 minutes.

Books was far more difficult to get a hit, about 60%. Haven't tried the CDs or Games yet.

Scanning in Comics would be very nice.
Inerestingly, I tried this program specifically for my daughter's comic collection. I entered some data in by hand, but it didn't seem to be able to find it as just a comic book. It wanted to make it an actual book. Unless I'm missing something, it didn't seem to do much good. A database seems just as useful.

Epicurus
Nov 9, 2004, 11:27 AM

I like the app a whole lot, but I could see right away some upgrades that could be implemented in the future. First and foremost is iSync integration. I tried to have the same library on multiple computers and it is a hassle to move the index files and images from computer to computer and keep them in sync. Second is Rendezvous support. It would be nice to see your buddies collection, then drag a movie to your name to "check it out," which would then prompt them for the request. Next, more export choices such as HTML output which you can put online for others to see. Oh ya, and "Smart Cabinets." I am sure all of these have been thought of, but for a 1.0 release it is very good.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
I was just thinking the same thing except in the context of being a cataloguing app for all the pdfs and/or paper copies of scientific journal articles I have copies of*. It would make quite a lot of sense for it to behave in a manner similar to iPhoto in that instance - the images of your files in Delicious Library, should also link to the actual file itself in some manner.

* However, that would only be truly beneficial if there was a "Smart collection" system so that e.g. any Nature articles added were auto-sorted into a Nature collection. Otherwise, I might as well stick to the likes of Endnote.
It could use an iTunes like library system. But you would be putting the sorting feature in the hands of the application... and people are constantly complaining about how iTunes sorts MP3 files.

I love the idea of being able to launch a PDF or DivX from this program in VLC, QuickTime etc.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 12:02 PM

I was just thinking the same thing except in the context of being a cataloguing app for all the pdfs and/or paper copies of scientific journal articles I have copies of*.
I'm thinking that Spotlight will finally offer an easy and natural system for doing this.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I'm thinking that Spotlight will finally offer an easy and natural system for doing this.
I am of course forgetting that Spotlight will allow Smart Folders at last, so you are right.

Here is a Delicious Library tip picked up from Ted Landau at MacFixIt.com - you can import items into DL by dragging and dropping the amazon.co.uk (or .com) URLs for them into the DL window. I was hoping that this would be a way of adding several items in one go (by selecting multiple URLS in my browser history) but, unfortunately, it still only imports one item at a time (the top URL in the multiple drag). However, it does make it easier if you do a search in your browser at amazon for your e.g. group and drag and drop several albums one after the other into DL as you don't have to continually re-type the "Title" attribute and wait for a search in DL itself.

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Epicurus:
I like the app a whole lot, but I could see right away some upgrades that could be implemented in the future. First and foremost is iSync integration. I tried to have the same library on multiple computers and it is a hassle to move the index files and images from computer to computer and keep them in sync. Second is Rendezvous support. It would be nice to see your buddies collection, then drag a movie to your name to "check it out," which would then prompt them for the request. Next, more export choices such as HTML output which you can put online for others to see. Oh ya, and "Smart Cabinets." I am sure all of these have been thought of, but for a 1.0 release it is very good.
Sync integration would be easier in Tiger. Rendezvous support would be really cool, that would be a nice feature, the way you describe it is great. Smart Cabinets probably will come as well...

The whole idea of being able to click on a DVD and it open up in VLC or QT is too much and outside the intent of this application. If you really want that, keep a link to it in the Notes of the DVD. I mean, who has their entire DVD collection on their computer?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
The whole idea of being able to click on a DVD and it open up in VLC or QT is too much and outside the intent of this application. If you really want that, keep a link to it in the Notes of the DVD. I mean, who has their entire DVD collection on their computer?
How difficult would it be to add a feature that would link to a file?

I have over 20+ movies on my computer and space for around 100 more... I'm converting them slowly, importing the best ones first... I'm also waiting for Handbrake 0.7...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 01:21 PM

<waiting for "why would you bother having the movies on your computer">

1) No disks to scratch... in fact, no disks at all

2) Every computer in the house has access to them (it's simple to set up a network that permits you to stream the videos)

3) Move to any part of a movie instantly.

4) You can put 5-6 movies on a laptop for a trip (that's a ton DVD jewel case space you save, no shuffling of disks and no damaged, stolen or misplaced disks at the end of the trip)

5) A GOOD quality Divx is around 1.5 GB (if you have a "200" GB HD, that's around 100+ movies)

6) There are good computer to TV/Stereo connection methods coming out so I can still watch them on my TV set.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 01:23 PM

But why would you bo....

oh.

osxisfun
Nov 9, 2004, 01:27 PM

>How difficult would it be to add a feature that would link to a file?

I heard will shipley on an audio file from the OSX oreilly conference. He actually spoke to this very thing. short story. its not happening.*

he was dicussing how a developer needs to be true to what the product is supposed to be and not a thing in which every little leftfield feature is added.

*unless a large number of people request it.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Do you really need a $40 program to replace a 2� post it note that says "Mike borrowed Joe vs. the Volcano"?
yes. i don't do that. do you? doesn't seem like the kind of solution a Mac user would choose. typically Mac users like things to look good.

$40 is not a lot for a good application like this that leverages all the online content and connectivity available for media. especially one with polished graphics. just imagine if Microsoft was publishing this application. it would be $99, or free with their OS.

personally, i think this is a killer application. it will receive due updates over the next year to make y'all shut up.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 03:41 PM

yes. i don't do that. do you? doesn't seem like the kind of solution a Mac user would choose. typically Mac users like things to look good.

$40 is not a lot for a good application like this that leverages all the online content and connectivity available for media. especially one with polished graphics. just imagine if Microsoft was publishing this application. it would be $99, or free with their OS.

personally, i think this is a killer application. it will receive due updates over the next year to make y'all shut up.
I've basically stopped buying DVDs... I'm a netflix freak now and am glad I switched over. There are so many movies in my 100+ DVD collection that aren't worth the plastic they are printed on. It's my own fault for buying something that friends recommended... only to find out that it's crap. I was renting from Blockbuster, but around here, it's about $5 a movie... so that's usually more then 1/3 of the cost to buy.

I buy something if it's VERY good, but I just don't see the point in it. We will all be rebuying them anyway when HD-DVDs start popping up in a year or so.

ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 04:06 PM

Sounds to me like you are JUST putting in your credit card number. You also need to put in the 3-diget number that you will find on the front or back of your credit card, depending on what card you have.
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 04:14 PM

Well, as someone who loves DVDPedia, I thought I would give this a try. I downloaded it and tried importing my DVDPedia database which DL saw easily.

1) It took like 10 minutes to import the 200+ DVDs
2) It TRIPLICATED all of the movies and added some as books, made up some.

I will send in feedback and try again after the next release.

BZ

ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 04:16 PM

I need a little help scanning with my iSight. Am I right that you do the following steps:

1) Click on the plus sign to add an item,
2) Next click on the video button that shows the video window,
3) After you scan the barcode, press "Show iSight".

If I am wrong, please inform me of the correct way. Also, when you scan, do you just scan the barcode itself or do you scan the barcode plus the corresponding number?
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by ginop1:
I need a little help scanning with my iSight. Am I right that you do the following steps:

1) Click on the plus sign to add an item,
2) Next click on the video button that shows the video window,
3) After you scan the barcode, press "Show iSight".

If I am wrong, please inform me of the correct way. Also, when you scan, do you just scan the barcode itself or do you scan the barcode plus the corresponding number?
Just click the Video button first. no need to click the add button.

when the program recognizes a barcode (when it is in focus and perpendicular to the red scanning lines), it will automatically add the item.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I've basically stopped buying DVDs... I'm a netflix freak now and am glad I switched over. There are so many movies in my 100+ DVD collection that aren't worth the plastic they are printed on. It's my own fault for buying something that friends recommended... only to find out that it's crap. I was renting from Blockbuster, but around here, it's about $5 a movie... so that's usually more then 1/3 of the cost to buy.

I buy something if it's VERY good, but I just don't see the point in it. We will all be rebuying them anyway when HD-DVDs start popping up in a year or so.
this raises an interesting feature request for DL. there is already a program called Netflix Freak (i think) which is a Mac desktop client for Netflix. it costs $15. wouldn't it be great if Delicious absorbed that application into its Library? it could just be another shelf that isn't included in the owned library.

kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 04:29 PM

Try DevonThink. If you are into tinkering there is also a little app called Science Library that I wrote that is available on the Bibdesk website (you have to dig through the CVS repository to get it though). Also, Sente is okay for repeated searching of Pubmed.

kman

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 04:44 PM

this raises an interesting feature request for DL. there is already a program called Netflix Freak (i think) which is a Mac desktop client for Netflix. it costs $15. wouldn't it be great if Delicious absorbed that application into its Library? it could just be another shelf that isn't included in the owned library.
That could be one of those "left field" things shipley was talking about. On the other hand, it could mean revenue, so who knows. I guess if lots of people want it.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 05:49 PM

NetFlix free is cool. I can't say I use it a ton, but it is pretty cool.

I always thought NetFlix freak would do better in Watson.

BZ

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
That could be one of those "left field" things shipley was talking about. On the other hand, it could mean revenue, so who knows. I guess if lots of people want it.
I realize they need to stick with the core people... but to add a few buttons... and to get 30 or 40 more purchases is a big deal to smaller developers.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 07:00 PM

continually re-type the "Title" attribute and wait for a search in DL itself.
For what it's worth, you can bypass the "wait" step; just press the add button or command-n while it's searching. You can attend to any problematic items later if necessary.

johnzoidberg
Nov 10, 2004, 09:22 PM

Is anyone getting this message whenever they try using DL?

"The fourth beta period has expired. Please visit our website and or e-mail us to get a new beta."

I'm using the current release 1.0.

Chad A Wright
Nov 10, 2004, 09:50 PM

I just got the same message about the beta expiring.

I e-mailed support and got the following response.

"I am very sorry about this. We forgot to pull the expiration stuff out of our final release. We are going to upload a new version in a couple min.

Thanks,

Mike Matas
President
Delicious Monster Software
----------------------------
http://www.delicious-monster.com/mike"

Mike e-mailed back very quickly. If you have a problem with a program, it's always nice to get a quick response.

ApertureFoto
Nov 10, 2004, 10:17 PM

I downloaded on the first day available and am now getting the same error when I try to use the Demo mode....

who knows.....maybe they are releasing an updated version already :-)

Kris

johnzoidberg
Nov 10, 2004, 10:26 PM

Wow, those guys are quick. They are truly committed.

Epicurus
Nov 10, 2004, 10:34 PM

New version ready for download, they also added the ability to look up items from global Amazon stores.

adam1185
Nov 11, 2004, 01:43 AM

now they just gotta remember Canada and i'll be all set

Forum Links
Forum Rules