Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to access a linux laptop HD in Tiger on a PB 800

How to access a linux laptop HD in Tiger on a PB 800
Cross
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 11:31 AM

Ok I was not sure which section to go for but felt this more of a techniocal problem.

My old Fedora Core 5 Machine had a 60gig drive which I am keeping. I want to transfer the data to a external firewire 40gig. (Actually the 40 is in the PB and the 60 is in the external but I want the 60 to be formatted and OS X Tiger on it, however I need to get my data to the 40gig first.)

When I connect the drives via firewire it never shows up on the desktop. Am I missing something? I thought Linux and os X would have no problems reading eachothers drives just to pull data from one to the other.

Any help is really appriciated.
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

ibook_steve
Jun 24, 2006, 11:45 AM

Are you setting the Powerbook in target disk mode or are you just connecting these two together with Firewire, thinking they'll show up on the desktop? Shut down the Powerbook. Connect Firewire. Power on Powerbook holding T. This turns the Powerbook into a standard Firewire hard drive that should mount if the other machine can see Firewire drives.

Steve

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 11:59 AM

I want the Linux Drive which is in the external encloser to mount. There is no other computer. I have my 60gig that was in a Windows laptop and is now sold in an external encloser.

I am just conntecting the firewire drive from my encloser to my powerbook as I do with most any other external drive.

I will try what you mention above after it finishes updating OS X. I was hoping maybe the update would correct the problem.
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 08:50 PM

Ok I have got the system to see the drive under USB connection.

Its a Linux LVM partition but I can not mount it... so I am again stuck. Who can help here?

Thraxes
Jun 25, 2006, 06:05 PM

It won't mount because Mac OS can't understanfd the linux file system.

If the drive is formatted with ext2/3 then you can get it to work with this little tool here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

If the disk still doesn't automount then try mounting it manually in the terminal:

sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/*LINUX DISK* /mnt/*MOUNT FOLDER*

If you happen to be using REISER-FS then you are outta luck. the only way you can get the files on the mac is to hook the drive to a linux box and use Samba or FTP to transfer the files over a LAN.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 11:05 AM

I honestly am not sure what the hell format it is. I got the swap drive to load but the one thats a linux lvm drive refuses to mount... So I am really confused.

I will try what you have above and see if it works.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 11:19 AM

You could also just connect the two machines to your LAN and transfer the files over using rsync/scp or via a Netatalk connection.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 11:35 AM

The only machines I have are macs right now. My neighbor has an old Duron Windows system, I could try to usse it but I have no clue how to try the network on them.

I have a cross over cable I guess I could give it a try... but then the windows system has to be able to read the Linux drive. What do I need to install for it to be able to do that?

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 11:39 AM

But the problem is every time I burn the ISO it does not work. I have used Firestarter FX, Toast 6 and Disc Utility and every time it will not read the ISO that it burns. (Yes I am doing it right just so you know, I know thats the easy question.)

I am not sure what to think there but I did get an old dell laptop I am going to try and get it to boot the drive and pull it that way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cross
The only machines I have are macs right now. My neighbor has an old Duron Windows system, I could try to usse it but I have no clue how to try the network on them.

I have a cross over cable I guess I could give it a try... but then the windows system has to be able to read the Linux drive. What do I need to install for it to be able to do that?

You are going to have to boot up the Linux machine and get some sort of service listening. Many Linux users do not set drives to automount, so even if your kernel had firewire support built in, you may still need to issue a mount command to mount the drive.

What distro of Linux is it running? You could probably have Netatalk up and running in no time at all (i.e. under 10 minutes), particularly so if you were running a distro like Gentoo, Debian, or some other distro with a nice software install mechanism. Once you had Netatalk up and running, the Linux machine would be able to talk over AFP (Appletalk over TCP/IP), which means you could easily connect to the machine just by doing a Connect to Server from the OS X Finder. I literally do this several times a day, it works just fine.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 02:28 PM

Well the other system would bee running a Live CD, which would you recommend I was going to use Uduntu Linux my drive was a Fedora Core 5 distro when it was in use.

I will try and get some more information but let me know what you would recommend I can not format his computer and install linux, he has a hard enough time with windows lol.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 03:48 PM

Well the other system would bee running a Live CD, which would you recommend I was going to use Uduntu Linux my drive was a Fedora Core 5 distro when it was in use.

I will try and get some more information but let me know what you would recommend I can not format his computer and install linux, he has a hard enough time with windows lol.

I'm completely confused now. You are trying to get files off of a drive that has LInux installed on it, right?

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 03:54 PM

Yes the drive is out of a compaq presario v2570 laptop that i swapped the drives before I sold it (Thinking, OS X and Linux should have no problem reading the drives.. wrong).

So now I have a Linux Drive in an External Enclosure and the HD in my Powerbook which I want the data to be moved to.

Thats basically it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 03:57 PM

Yes the drive is out of a compaq presario v2570 laptop that i swapped the drives before I sold it (Thinking, OS X and Linux should have no problem reading the drives.. wrong).

So now I have a Linux Drive in an External Enclosure and the HD in my Powerbook which I want the data to be moved to.

Thats basically it.

Okay, well what I"m suggesting is that you install Netatalk just to get the files off of the drive. Fedora should carry Netatalk in its yum repository. Do you have a PC you can use where you can attach this drive to?

Thraxes
Jun 26, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Okay, well what I"m suggesting is that you install Netatalk just to get the files off of the drive. Fedora should carry Netatalk in its yum repository. Do you have a PC you can use where you can attach this drive to?

And with which Linux machine should he do that? He said he has sold the machine and just kept the HDD from which he now wants the files. The only PC he has available is his neighbors and I doubt that they will be thrilled with him installing Linux on it.

A Live CD would work wonders... for such operations I prefer to use Knoppix which has a whole load of tools ready to go: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Another suggestion: Go to your neighbors with the drive and a knoppix CD, find out how much space the files you want to save take up (essentially the size of your home directory- if anything vital to you is saved anywhere else I would be quite suprised). If that size is smaller than the amount of total space left on the drive, repartition the drive with Gparted and format the new partition with FAT32. Then just copy the files from the linux partition to the FAT32 partition. No network necessary. I there is not enough space, delete some non essential folders like /bin to make some space.

Good Luck!
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thraxes
And with which Linux machine should he do that? He said he has sold the machine and just kept the HDD from which he now wants the files. The only PC he has available is his neighbors and I doubt that they will be thrilled with him installing Linux on it.

A Live CD would work wonders... for such operations I prefer to use Knoppix which has a whole load of tools ready to go: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Another suggestion: Go to your neighbors with the drive and a knoppix CD, find out how much space the files you want to save take up (essentially the size of your home directory- if anything vital to you is saved anywhere else I would be quite suprised). If that size is smaller than the amount of total space left on the drive, repartition the drive with Gparted and format the new partition with FAT32. Then just copy the files from the linux partition to the FAT32 partition. No network necessary. I there is not enough space, delete some non essential folders like /bin to make some space.

Good Luck!

Good idea! I obviously glazed over the fact that he doesn't have easy access to a PC anymore.

If you don't want to use another physical machine, you could boot up your Mac with the Ubuntu Live CD for PowerPC, create a tarball of all your personal files (assuming they all reside in your home directory), and upload them to another machine (if you have access to one), then boot back into your Mac and download your files.

Hopefully we've given you enough options to work with here!

Good luck.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 05:27 PM

It seems like he could boot the mac with the PPC Live CD version of Ubuntu and the linux HDD hooked up internally. Then he could drag and drop the files.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
It seems like he could boot the mac with the PPC Live CD version of Ubuntu and the linux HDD hooked up internally. Then he could drag and drop the files.

This is certainly worth a try. The Ubuntu CD's kernel would need to have support for Firewire built in, but I bet it does. He may also have to issue a command to mount the drive, although being Ubuntu it may very well automount his drive.

I'd try this first original poster. Good thinking Tuoder!

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 09:31 PM

The only ubuntu CD I have is version 4 and its an install CD every ISO I burn just does not work... I have no idea why yet.

On the other laptop is a P133 that refuses to boot off CD so thats not happening.

So I am stuck once again and I have no bootable cd. So any idea's again would be great.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

I think if I can make an ISO like the one spoke of above and boot it on the neighbors computer its a 60 gig with 30-40 or so of information but some I have on DVD back ups so I could make it work.

So now just to get a ISO to burn...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

The only ubuntu CD I have is version 4 and its an install CD every ISO I burn just does not work... I have no idea why yet.

On the other laptop is a P133 that refuses to boot off CD so thats not happening.

So I am stuck once again and I have no bootable cd. So any idea's again would be great.

Maybe more detail on how you are trying to burn the CD, and what is going wrong?

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 10:20 AM

I have used firestarter fx, disc utility and toast 6 and each time I select the iso file through image select, burn it. It verifys it says it completed but then refuses to read the disc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 11:31 AM

I have used firestarter fx, disc utility and toast 6 and each time I select the iso file through image select, burn it. It verifys it says it completed but then refuses to read the disc.

If you want our help, you are going to have to be far more specific. Pick an app - say Disk Utility (it will work fine). Tell us what you do.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 05:42 PM

Ok I got a friend to burn the ISO of Ubuntu 6.X. It reads it just fine.

Here is how I did the burn with Disc Utility:
Open Program
Images -> Open
Select my ISO
Burn.

Pretty much the same for the others. In Toast I selected the copy cd then from image file and selected the ISO in Firestarter FX I dragged the ISO into the drag window.

Anyway I have ubuntu open but I do not know how to mount the second partition on the external HD. It loaded the first partition on its own but not the second.

I will look above and see if its there but I have no experiance with this lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules