Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP Driver Woes...:(

XP Driver Woes...:(
jbb
May 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

I have XP up and running. But I can't seem to install Mac drivers. I get to the ATI drivers and processor drivers, but once I get to the ethernet drivers, another window pops up saying, "USB drivers installed" then the only option is "Finish". This new window stops installation and a "Fatal Error" occurs. The installation "Rolls Back" and discontinues the installation.

HELP how can I disable this pop up. Its actually a different wizard.

So I have ATI drivers installed, but no audio, ethernet, and brightness controls

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 04:31 PM

I assume you're using the CD that Boot Camp burns? Maybe try burning another copy?

jbb  (op)
May 25, 2006, 05:24 PM

Yes I'm using the burned installer. I did burn another copy but got the same problem. It seems like that pop up window is another wizard called "Driver Update Wizard". Is there any way of disabling this wizard??

jbb  (op)
May 25, 2006, 07:14 PM

I just now reinstalled the whole thing. Made single partition, ran boot camp, burned new Mac driver Disc, installed XP.

When I get to the Mac driver install wizard. It happened again. Stupid "Hardware Update Wizard" pops up to install the USB component device. After clicking finish on that (only option) the Mac Driver to XP wizard fails and gives me a "Fatal error" prompt.

AErrrghghhghgh frustrating.

Help please

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 09:29 PM

Not sure why that is... I had to install Windows three times on my machine (not because of a bug/error, but because I wanted to significantly change things and reinstalling was easiest), and I've not had an error installing the Mac/BootCamp drivers.

The key, however, is make sure NOTHING is plugged in to your Mac before installing the drivers.

If you've got a MacBook/MacBook Pro, make sure nothing, nada, zilch is plugged in to your machine before you install the drivers. And if the hardware wizard pops up before your drivers are installed, click Cancel.

If you're on an iMac or Mac mini, make sure only the keyboard & mouse (Apple brand preferably prior to driver installation) is connected. Disconnect everything else like printers, drives, etc.

evanwilliams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 07:58 PM

I had something weird happen with the drivers the first time I tried installing XP. It got through some of the drivers before it decided that it didn't like my keyboard/mouse anymore and wouldn't talk to them. I mean, they went dead--no power, anything.

I decided to try again but this time I held off on installing the BootCamp drivers until I had installed the drivers for both the keyboard and the mouse. This time it went off smoothly and it seems to have installed all the drivers. Probably not your issue, but if you have a third-party keyboard/mouse then it might be worth considering if anyone has a similar problem to mine.

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 11:23 AM

I have XP up and running. But I can't seem to install Mac drivers. I get to the ATI drivers and processor drivers, but once I get to the ethernet drivers, another window pops up saying, "USB drivers installed" then the only option is "Finish". This new window stops installation and a "Fatal Error" occurs. The installation "Rolls Back" and discontinues the installation.

HELP how can I disable this pop up. Its actually a different wizard.

So I have ATI drivers installed, but no audio, ethernet, and brightness controls

So any suggestions for this? I've reinstalled twice to see if a completly new partition would help get this going. It hasn't. I get a fatal error when it gets to the ethernet install, it then rolls back and discontinues the install. A few other threads have mentioned pulling certain installers out of the main install but I haven't been able to follow how to do that. Any suggestions?

I just checked the Device Manager, I've got the Ethernet Controller, 2 PCI devices and an Unknown Device listed as yellow question marks (so the driver isn't installed)

seventn
Jun 26, 2006, 08:23 PM

I get the same FATAL error and says ethernet card thing not installed... So I can't access the internet. Does anyone know why I don't see anything about WIFI or airport? I don't care about ethernet but I got to have airport!!

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by seventn
I get the same FATAL error and says ethernet card thing not installed... So I can't access the internet. Does anyone know why I don't see anything about WIFI or airport? I don't care about ethernet but I got to have airport!!
It took me a week to figure out. I accidentally used the original Windows XP install disk (stamped 2002), not the newer Windows XP SP2 install disk. I 'thought' I used the right one so I dind't even look for that. I reinstalled, used the SP2 install and it went without a hitch. Check that SP2 is installed on yours. The funny part is, I did this twice, like a dumbasz.

Thraxes
Jul 2, 2006, 02:01 AM

Hey! Got the same error aswell on my MBP but I assume it has more to do with the hacked nature of TinyXP that I am running (a slimmed down bloatless version of WinXP... just the bare essentials to get games running). The install fals when it is starting to install the Marvell Ethernet drivers. Fortunately the ATI drivers installed fine.

Anyway you can get the Audio, Network and Wireless working with drivers from the chipmakers themselves or 3rd parties (the Wireless drivers are lifted from the Lenovo Thinkpad site). Brightness control doesn't work and the eject button neither (right clicking on the CD drive in "My Computer" and selecting eject works fine though). I might just install a full version of windows eventually but at the moment it is sufficient for what I need it for.

Back when there wasn't an official way of doing this, some smart people did a bit of experimenting and have compiled a list of driver recommendations. Decent workarounds for when the official disk fails.

http://forum.osx86project.org/lofive...hp/t12185.html
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

seventn
Jul 2, 2006, 01:20 PM

yeah same thing happened to me. Used an XP but it wasn't SP2...which I was told it was...

When I re-intalled using SP2 all when ok and is working now.

dcdomain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thraxes
Hey! Got the same error aswell on my MBP but I assume it has more to do with the hacked nature of TinyXP that I am running (a slimmed down bloatless version of WinXP... just the bare essentials to get games running). The install fals when it is starting to install the Marvell Ethernet drivers. Fortunately the ATI drivers installed fine.

Anyway you can get the Audio, Network and Wireless working with drivers from the chipmakers themselves or 3rd parties (the Wireless drivers are lifted from the Lenovo Thinkpad site). Brightness control doesn't work and the eject button neither (right clicking on the CD drive in "My Computer" and selecting eject works fine though). I might just install a full version of windows eventually but at the moment it is sufficient for what I need it for.

Back when there wasn't an official way of doing this, some smart people did a bit of experimenting and have compiled a list of driver recommendations. Decent workarounds for when the official disk fails.

http://forum.osx86project.org/lofive...hp/t12185.html
Hey Thraxes, I'm working on my friend's MacBook and am doing the same exact thing you did! Hope that link you posted will have all the drivers he needs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules