Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Super Bowl Halftime Show

Super Bowl Halftime Show (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1 View Post
Prince can play guitar better than most pop freaks, but he certainly isn't the best player on the planet, and certainly no better than Clapton himself.
I wouldn't say he was the best on the planet no. But he is alot better than I think you believe he is.

He holds back tons.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:44 PM

I think Prince is a very good singer as well as a guitar player (among other instruments). His halftime performance was great. 100x better than past halftime shows for sure. The dude knows how to pull off a spectacular show.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 01:12 PM

Prince and I have the same birthday. He and Pink Floyd got me through my teen years.

If you wanna see an amazing performance, check out the YouTube of him performing the song "Purple Rain." It's a clip from the movie and iirc was a real live 1-take phenomenon -- a very long song performed flawlessly. It's amazingly powerful no matter what your musical taste.

Purple Rain (the movie) gives a glimpse into his background and thinking. He really was a very socially awkward person who dove inside and to his music for refuge. You can forgive some of his eccentricities a bit more easily by recognizing his troubled roots.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
yea, I wasn't really expecting much. I give him even more credit for playing with a really wet guitar.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume everything was pre-recorded. Wouldn't you get electrocuted playing an electric guitar, with a microphone, in the rain? am i just ignorant?

also, the shadow created by him and the guitar was pretty hilarious, I got $20 that says Joel McHale tears him a new one on The Soup this weekend.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and assume everything was pre-recorded. Wouldn't you get electrocuted playing an electric guitar, with a microphone, in the rain? am i just ignorant?

also, the shadow created by him and the guitar was pretty hilarious, I got $20 that says Joel McHale tears him a new one on The Soup this weekend.
I'm almost positive that it wasn't pre-recorded. His singing was live for sure, and his guitar sounded very live as well.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

Not to mention I would think by now there is technology available that allows you to use music equipment outdoors.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the mics were waterproofed, and since the guitar was wireless, it could very well have been waterproofed or water resistant, too.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 02:16 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 02:17 PM

He most definitely wasn't lip-syncing.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

finboy
Feb 5, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
So, no. Not kidding. The only things I'd ever heard about Prince mercilessly mocked him.

I never understood that. He's got the ego, to be sure, but that's OK in his case b/c he can back it up. Unlike SO MANY. His musical ability and ability to give the audience what they want is unreal. I've always thought highly of him as a fellow musician.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 02:22 PM

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented. And he's certainly prolific. He just hasn't had a top-10 hit in a long, long time. Some other artists who started out at the same time have been able to top the charts much more often. I'm not a fan of Madonna and I can name at least five of her singles from as many albums. Same with Sting.

Prince's only top-10 album in the last 10 years (3121) produced no top-10 singles, unlike other artists (like those above) who have hit the #1 spot with albums and singles many times in the same period. There are plenty of artists in other genres (country, R&B) who started at the same time and have a much more diverse catalog. When they play an event like the Superbowl, they're playing much more current hits.

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented....just not commerically sucessful and, unless he has a breakout hit soon, will ONLY be remember for Purple Rain.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not to mention I would think by now there is technology available that allows you to use music equipment outdoors.
Outdoors and in the rain are definitely not the same thing.

In my own defense, I never claimed to be an expert, I just asked a question.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented....just not commerically sucessful.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 02:35 PM

Yeah sure, Prince isn't commercially successful at all.

BTW having ONE or TWO songs in a DECADE wouldn't be called a "success" either.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 02:43 PM

no, no and no. and yes?

I am, however, always amused by people that assume you can get electrocuted by a wireless microphone. Its a nine-volt battery. Ditto the transmitter on the guitar. BATTERY.

Anyway, its not the best thing for your gear but its just water.

And it was definitely not recorded, which is actually fairly UNcommon. I doubt you've ever tried but its pretty damn hard to sing live, in the round, in that sort of venue. Its just so loud and echoey that even the best pair of molds cant isolate you. Makes monitoring very hard. However, a lot of it was definitely live, with an engineer that wasnt the most on the ball for that matter. Rewind the clip to where he kicks over the mic stand, the sound of the mic hitting the decking is unmistakeable.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented....just not commerically sucessful and, unless he has a breakout hit soon, will ONLY be remember for Purple Rain.
LOL are you serious? Only be remembered for Purple Rain? Topping the charts does not reflect what a particular artist might be remembered for. Prince has had an amazing amount of hits and an amazing amount of songs over the years. He will be remembered for his broad musical talents, his many hits through many different eras of music, and for his live performances.

Pop charts are meaningless and only reflect what people are buying from the stores, if that. It does not reflect the quality of an artist, nor does it reflect an artists impact on music and culture.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 02:48 PM

Man, he makes it so effortless.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 03:31 PM

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented. And he's certainly prolific. He just hasn't had a top-10 hit in a long, long time.
Single? Right. That was about 10 years ago, unless of course you count R&B singles which he's had top tens. As I pointed out, based on what I've seen, him and Sting are about neck and neck as far as hit singles go.

Album? His last album was a top 10 album. He went almost ten years self-releasing albums by his choice. Some weren't even in most stores and had little marketing done with them. Album is a bad criteria to set, but even if you do, the fact is that his very last album (which was backed by a major record company and tour) went multi-platinum and was a No. 1 hit.

Some other artists who started out at the same time have been able to top the charts much more often. I'm not a fan of Madonna and I can name at least five of her singles from as many albums. Same with Sting.
That's evidence of your personal tastes, not any reflection on Prince. For Madonna, I can remember 1 hit single in the past 5 years, and maybe 3 total for the past 10 (a couple of songs from her Bedtime Stories album, which was partially produced by Babyface). Other than that, her output has been all that great (if you are judging based on "the charts"). That's with mega-millions in promotion and her doing stuff to get herself in the news all the time.

Sting I actually bothered to look up and over 14 years he's had 2 singles which could be considered "hits", as compared to Prince's 3 or 4. So, maybe you just picked poor examples for comparison?

Prince's only top-10 album in the last 10 years (3121) produced no top-10 singles, unlike other artists (like those above) who have hit the #1 spot with albums and singles many times in the same period.
Which artists that you mentioned had #1 singles? I've already pointed out that with Sting, your claim isn't true. I didn't bother with Madonna, because she's more hype than substance so anything is possible. Not saying she isn't a talented artist...but she doesn't write all her stuff, have a great singing voice or play an instrument proficiently (though she doesn't do bad at guitar these days) like Sting or Prince where you are kind of comparing apples to apples.

There are plenty of artists in other genres (country, R&B) who started at the same time and have a much more diverse catalog. When they play an event like the Superbowl, they're playing much more current hits.
Which artists are you refering to? I know of none that have been along as long as Prince who have preformed their latest hit singles. The Stones? Nope.

Yeah...a #1 album and #1 tour in the past couple of years, in addition to being asked to perform during the Super Bowl (which seeks high ratings for it's advertisers) equals "not commercially sucessful". Okay...you've convinced me.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

BTW for those that don't know about why Prince changed his name.

His record company at the time was attempting to screw him. He wanted out of the deal. They held the rights for the name "prince" and the records he made.

So he changed his name to a "symbol" and called himself "The artist formerly known as Prince"

Lots of people thought this was pure pretension but it was his attempt to release music that wasn't under this record company.

In this long time period most ALL of his music wasn't promoted by a large record company AND STILL SOLD TONS.

After said record company's contract was over Prince changed his name back. This happened not too long ago. This is also why we are seeing MORE of him.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2007, 04:03 PM

He was sick in that George Harrison Tribute!!
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
He was sick in that George Harrison Tribute!!
That wasn't THAT impressive. I've seen him play better.

The guitar part in the beginning on "When Doves Cry" is sick.

Not that hard to play once you get the phrasing right, which IS tricky.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:10 PM

Having said that, there are TONS of talented "kids" just as good on youtube.

YouTube - Joe Satriani Time by Cesar Huesca

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2007, 04:21 PM

of course, but they're not Prince!

ice

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:41 PM

Prince?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 04:46 PM

All that rain made it one of the best half time shows I've ever seen...not to mention Prince either.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2007, 07:14 PM

There does seem to be something about guys from Minneapolis and guitar playing... Thanks for the link to the George Harrison tribute-I'd forgotten about that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 07:25 PM

Again, I'm not saying Prince isn't talented. And he's certainly prolific. He just hasn't had a top-10 hit in a long, long time. Some other artists who started out at the same time have been able to top the charts much more often. I'm not a fan of Madonna and I can name at least five of her singles from as many albums. Same with Sting.
And you're saying you can't name 5 Prince songs from different albums? "Little Red Corvette" (or "1999"). "When Doves Cry" (or "Let's Go Crazy" or "Purple Rain"). "Raspberry Beret." "Kiss." "Sign O the Times" (or "U Got the Look"). "Alphabet St." "Batdance." "Cream." "7." "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World."

Come on! That isn't even hard. I only picked songs that I know were big hits and I came up with twice as many songs from different albums. I sincerely doubt you can do the same with Sting unless you're a big fan. In the 16 years since Sting's last solo top-10 single, Prince has had 4.

Prince's only top-10 album in the last 10 years (3121) produced no top-10 singles, unlike other artists (like those above) who have hit the #1 spot with albums and singles many times in the same period. There are plenty of artists in other genres (country, R&B) who started at the same time and have a much more diverse catalog. When they play an event like the Superbowl, they're playing much more current hits.
You can't name "plenty" of artists with a "much more diverse catalog." You can't. I'll spot you Zappa, but now I'm drawing a blank. BTW, your info is wrong. Since reappearing on the mainstream scene, Prince has had 2 top-5 albums (Musicology and 3121) in the past 3 years. Also, please remind me what current hits Paul McCartney and the Stones played in their halftime shows. It's the biggest TV event of the year; you bring out the big guns.

You don't honestly believe that, do you? "Purple Rain" is his signature song, but it isn't even his biggest hit on either side of the Atlantic. It's "Kiss" (1986) here in America and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" (1994) in the UK. In fact, it's only the third biggest hit from that album (behind "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy," which both made it to #1).

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Rumor
Feb 5, 2007, 07:56 PM

While it is not my particular taste in music, I cannot deny the pure talent that Price has musically.

A lot of people at the pub thought the same thing. The half time show was great. The phalic guitar made me laugh.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Feb 5, 2007, 08:00 PM

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 10:30 PM

Prince is my favorite artist of all time.

Others have said enough.

Read the bio, it's all there.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 10:40 PM

i have been talking to my friends and all four of them said that they thought that Prince's performance was the best H.T show that they have seen in a LONG time, as well as one of the better music acts within the last couple of years on live television

-a

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 10:57 PM

It's on youtube in 4 parts.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 11:05 PM

Top 10 Songs written/produced by Prince:

10-Jungle Love- The Time /#20 Hot US 100.
9-I Feel For You- Chaka Khan /#14 US Chart
8-Love…Thy Will Be Done- Martika
7-Sugar Walls- Sheena Easton/ #9 US Charts
6-Yo Mister- Patti Labelle/ #6 on US RnB Charts
5-Stand Back- Stevie Nicks
4-A Love Bizarre- Sheila E. /#3 US Charts
3-Pray- MC Hammer/#2 US Charts.
2- Manic Monday- The Bangles- / #2 US Charts
1-Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinead O’ Connor /#1 US Charts.

Rumor
Feb 5, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
i have been talking to my friends and all four of them said that they thought that Prince's performance was the best H.T show that they have seen in a LONG time, as well as one of the better music acts within the last couple of years on live television

-a
You have a whole four friends? Congratulations!

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Top 10 Songs written/produced by Prince:
5-Stand Back- Stevie Nicks
The others I knew, these two I had NO CLUE.

WOW.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 11:21 PM

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 11:23 PM

I'd include these:

Nasty Girl - Vanity 6
The Glamorous Life - Sheila E.
Round and Round - Tevin Campbell
Sex Shooter - Apollonia 6
Get It Up - The Time

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Further investigation...

Stevie Nicks got the idea for "Stand Back" from "Little Red Corvette". She heard Prince's song in her car, wrote "Stand Back" that night, and called Prince, who came into the studio and played keyboards.

and...

Stevie Nicks often retells the story of listening to Little Red Corvette and calling up Prince to see if he could lend a hand in this song. Supposedly, Prince came into the studio, layed down tracks on the synthesizer for 20 minutes, and left without talking to Stevie Nicks ever again. Whatever he did to the song apparently worked!

and...

Standback comes from a place unknown even to me. A hush surrounded it from the very beginning~and a feeling that it had always been was there from the first. 'Standback' lives in it's own timespace. It never belonged to me, it has always belonged to the world~and to Prince, who inspired the entire song.
~Stevie Nicks, Timespace Tourbook, 1991

Whatever, the guy is still talented across the baord.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 01:58 AM

I alluded to this before, but a lot of his material that didn't make albums ended up being sold for popular commercial jingles.

Remember the Diet Pepsi commercials with Ray Charles and the ladies....

"You got the right one bayybee...UH-HUH!".

Originally a Prince song that never made it out of the vaults. Well, until recently. I've got a copy somewhere of Prince's original. It has complete lyrics, melody, bridge, etc.

"Always, Coca Cola"?

Yep...him too.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 03:22 AM

I'll always dig Prince. He's pure talent. However, I will admit that since he became a Jehovah's Witness (not sure if he still is now), his creativity and edginess has waned. But he's still incredible.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 03:38 AM

He's a Jehovah's Witness???

Really looks the part, I must say.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
I'll always dig Prince. He's pure talent. However, I will admit that since he became a Jehovah's Witness (not sure if he still is now), his creativity and edginess has waned. But he's still incredible.
His music is just as good. He just doesn't talk about girls masturbating to magazines.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 10:52 AM

2- Manic Monday- The Bangles- / #2 US Charts
I love him even more now.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The others I knew, these two I had NO CLUE.

WOW.
That's the only I one I knew. (he released it as well, actually). But yeah, he's written some great stuff.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 12:07 PM

Prince's mini-jam at the Halftime press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1AegGKjY0
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
He's a Jehovah's Witness???

Really looks the part, I must say.
Yeah, if Prince knocked on my door selling Jesus, I'd probably give him a listen. But only if he agreed to bust out the guitar and knock out a few riffs at the same time.

That would be awesome.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

YouTube - Prince live SuperBowl XLI Press Conference
only a roomful of reporters would stay seated during a Prince concert.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

YouTube - Prince live SuperBowl XLI Press Conference
I enjoyed the nod he gave to Lenny Kravitz, throwing a little riff from Fields of Joy in there. Very cool.

At the same time though, it kinda ruined Fields of Joy a bit for me. I'm listening to it right now and in the solo it feels like Lenny is working at it...and Prince never sounds like he's working.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I enjoyed the nod he gave to Lenny Kravitz, throwing a little riff from Fields of Joy in there. Very cool.

At the same time though, it kinda ruined Fields of Joy a bit for me. I'm listening to it right now and in the solo it feels like Lenny is working at it...and Prince never sounds like he's working.
Lenny Kravitz looks good while playing guitar... and that's the best part of it. Not that he's bad, but not great.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 12:45 PM

It took long enough for some dipsh!t to come out and complain about Prince's shadow:

Was�Prince's Super performance too revealing? - CNN.com

I'm so embarrassed to live in this country sometimes. We are so prude.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
It took long enough for some dipsh!t to come out and complain about Prince's shadow:

Was�Prince's Super performance too revealing? - CNN.com

I'm so embarrassed to live in this country sometimes. We are so prude.
As soon as he did it I was yelling, "d¡ck! d¡ck!" at the party. Someone else yelled "Balls!" and pointed at the bottom curve. It was obvious.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 01:37 PM

I watched some of the halftime show...and though I like "pussy control"... this music just made me want to throw up. It reminded me of 'bebop' 1950s rock and roll, a totally whitebread, totally safe, totally conservative act. Blech.

Forum Links
Forum Rules