Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > New MacBook, Leopard pre-installed - NO BOOT CAMP ASSISTANT! (solution)

New MacBook, Leopard pre-installed - NO BOOT CAMP ASSISTANT! (solution)
homgran
Nov 3, 2007, 06:32 AM

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend purchased a new MacBook (white, 2.2GHz Santa Rosa, Intel GMA X3100) yesterday. For academic purposes she needs to be able to boot into Windows now and then, so Boot Camp played a major part in her decision to buy the MacBook.

So we got home, set everything up and to our confusion we could not find the Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities . So I spent an hour looking online for a solution (one problem with buying a brand new product: it's newer than Google's caches!) and, aside from the suggestions to do a complete reinstall, I came upon the following helpful solution on the Apple Discussion forums:
  1. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with your MacBook,
  2. In the Finder, choose "Go To Folder" from the "Go" menu,
  3. Type in: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages
  4. Double-click the BootCamp.pkg file,
  5. Follow the installation procedure (literally takes about 5 seconds to install).

Before proceeding with the installation, I decided to phone the Apple Store for reassurance (just in case anything else was missing from the pre-installed version of Leopard). They assured me that OS X is completely compartmentalised and that if anything else had slipped through the cracks then it could be installed in a similar fashion.

I hope this helps anyone else who's finding themselves in this kind of situation.

A couple of quick questions to you guys: before we go installing a bunch of Applications, do you think it's safer to do a complete system restore - or would you go along with the tech support and assume that everything else is fine? Does anyone know how Apple's factory installation images work? I mean, could it be as simple as someone forgetting to check the "Boot Camp" checkbox - or is it more likely to be a fundamentally corrupt image?

Thanks!

Oh, and credit where it's due:

http://tinyurl.com/2d4zjh

Thraxes
Nov 3, 2007, 11:09 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. The boot camp assistant is just a small front-end to a command-line utility that is part of the System.

No reinstallation of the system is necessary.

The Windows drivers are on the Installer DVD.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

homgran  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the response! You've definitely put my mind at ease.

7thlovechild
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 10:34 PM

i did that.. but the problem is when i reboot the machine , and hold on to the 'option' key , it only shows the Mac partition... and not the windows side... any solution??

htdefiant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 02:05 PM

Did you install windows already?
Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.

7thlovechild
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by htdefiant View Post
Did you install windows already?
Yeah.. installed.. so what I'm doing now is that , I'll set the machine to boot up to Windows all the time ... and to switch to Mac , press the 'option' key.. That's because if i were to set it to boot from Mac , I won't be able to get into windows.. (i hope i make sense here...ahaha)

Forum Links
Forum Rules