Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > BlackBerry CEO calls iOS outdated, despite past innovation

BlackBerry CEO calls iOS outdated, despite past innovation
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 18, 2013, 01:14 PM

Apple's iOS isn't keeping pace with the rest of the smartphone industry, charges BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins. The executive makes the claim in a new interview with the Australian Financial Review. "The rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don't innovate at that speed you can be replaced pretty quickly," he comments. "The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about, is now five years old."

He does however have positive things to say about iOS and the iPhone as a whole. "Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to market," Heins remarks. "They did a fantastic job with the user interface, they are a design icon. There is a reason why they were so successful, and we actually have to admit this and respect that."

BlackBerry itself has come under criticism for failing to keep up with the smartphone industry, and the iPhone in particular. The company was slow to adopt touchscreens as standard, and people have sometimes attacked the BlackBerry OS as lagging behind iOS and Android. Recently BlackBerry launched the Z10, a more serious attempt at competing with modern smartphones.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2013, 01:17 PM

Mr. Pot...meet Mr. Kettle...

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2013, 01:37 PM

Now if that isn't the Pot calling the Kettle Blackberry.

(I cannot tell a lie, I got that from someone else).
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

rexray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 01:49 PM

...for that matter, how long has it been since the UI for the game of Chess has been updated? My goodness, it's hard to believe people even play that game anymore, the UI is so old.
Earth is Heaven in Drag.

Bobfozz
Mar 18, 2013, 02:03 PM

your comment

justcurious1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 02:41 PM

My iPhone is very modal. It's starting to bug me. That being said, there are so many people who could not learn all the gestures of the BB10, which looks to be a very nice version 1. I think were Apple really missed the opportunity to command the market was their insistence on a single form factor. If they had followed the iPod process where they made sure they had a product at every price point and varying sizes I don't think Android would have had a hope. But Job's insistence that there was only one size for the iPhone was ridiculous. But it's never too late. Little egg on the face but lots of sales. Look at the iPad Mini. Job's I understand never wanted it.

ClickSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 03:11 PM

If you change everything about the OS every year, then people get upset. So Apple rightly takes a systematic approach to enhancing the operating system without making drastic changes. Look at all the flack Microsoft has taken for how they've radically changed Windows over the years. The most popular versions of Windows were the older versions, such as XP. Eventually people come around, but it takes time. People get accustomed to learned behaviours and tend to resist change, even when that change is deemed for the better by its creators. Technophiles such as us love to see and play with new things. But Apple doesn't cater to us. They cater to the common every day person that just wants to use their phones to communicate or get some small task done.

climacs
Senior User
Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 PM

"RIM thought iPhone was impossible in 2007"

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/27/rim.thought.apple.was.lying.on.iphone.in.2007/

climacs
Senior User
Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 PM

your commenting system still sucks!

climacs
Senior User
Mar 18, 2013, 04:03 PM

for your suggestions... Apple's UI is so outdated that everyone copies it, more or less

maybe Apple should allow users to completely customize the interface, so it can be as beautiful as a MySpace page.

maybe Apple should do a Windows 8 and completely change the look and feel and call that 'innovation'

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2013, 04:44 PM

But I'm kind of glad I'm with a company that got it mostly right the first time, you know?

I would dismiss what he has to say, he's got nothing else to challenge his rival with. But I do have to wonder why Android doesn't get the same complaints ... since they began copying Apple the year after the iPhone came out, they really haven't changed anything substantive ... it's basically the same interface, but I guess a lot of people don't know this because their carrier controls what they see of Android ... yeah, that's so much better ...

The BB seems like a perfectly good option, but it really doesn't have anything that actually competes against iOS and Android at this point. So what else can you do but trash talk the industry leader?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

TomMcIn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 08:37 PM

BB can trash talk all they want. The final say is which company gets the biggest share of the profits. You can sell loads of anything, if the price is low enough.

Bittyson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 08:49 PM

an mobile OS that is rock solid stable, does pretty much everything one could want, has the support of every developer worth a shake, and runs on hardware that un-unparalleled and actually fits in your hand (it is a phone you know), I think I'll take dated. I'll keep the Porsche, you take the Volt.

Bittyson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2013, 08:49 PM

an mobile OS that is rock solid stable, does pretty much everything one could want, has the support of every developer worth a shake, and runs on hardware that un-unparalleled and actually fits in your hand (it is a phone you know), I think I'll take dated. I'll keep the Porsche, you take the Volt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules