Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Scars? -> stories?

Any Scars? -> stories?
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 12:55 AM

I've always been the one to shy away from doing the stupid thing in the bunch. Yet, somehow, it always seems to find me anyhow.

When I was 14, I was sevearly burned on my right upper leg. Gasoline was thrown on a fire by a "friend" of mine at the time and I got hit with the explosion. Took about a year to fully recover from that one. Worst experince of my life, had sever 2nd degree burns- any worse they said and they would've been 3rd. The scar is only visible on my inner thigh now so even with shorts you dont notice it. I was lucky, it could've been higher up.

When I was 27 or 28 I was giging at a friends "house demolition party" on a lake. They were building a new house and wanted one last "bash" so to speak. So I walk in there with my gear (I'm a drummer) and I see little kids walking around with hammers and small axes and I say, man someones going to the hospital tonight....you guessed it, it was me.

Everything was fair game except the window, and where we set up at. After the night was really going we took a break and some girls were spraying beer on each other that had little holes in the cans, it was fun! Now this big dumb ass of a guy thinks I sprayed him. So he follows me into the bath room (where the beer was kept in the tub) and pushes me down in it. Not maliciously, just to be "funny" I guess. Now a guy earlier had taken a slege hammer to the tub cause he wanted to break it for whatever reason, I dont know, maybe it pis-sed him off at some point in life but thats a tangent. So I'm off balence and fall in. I notice that my left hand feels funny. I look and my pinky is hanging off my hand!!! I get up and some EMTs come over to me (other friends) and as I'm starting to go into shock, they pull out a ripped tendon. So I get rushed to the hospital. Now when we walk into the emergency room, the police officer just stares at me then shakes his head and walks away. I then catch a glimps of myself in the door/window. I'm wearing basically all black and am covered from head to toe in white dry wall dust & reaking of beer thats been poured on me. I'm also clutching a bloody hand while a real friend steadies me.

The on-duty nurse demands that she can see my injury so I show her. Blood spurts all over the place and she yells "cover that back up!!!" I said I told you it was going to do that. or something that I thought made sense. Then I preceded to go have the porcelen picked out of my wound without even feeling it. That scared the doctor.....a lot.

So to make a really long story end, I ended up having MAJOR - real deal surgery on my left pinky finger. Got put under and had about 9 people in the OR with me. Crazy!!! I went through therapy for about 6 months too. What I have to show for my injury was a $10,000 hospital bill (that I got paid) and a left hand pinky finger in the shape of a hook. I had nerve damage too so the palm side of it feels like its asleep all the time. I can close it but not open it. It sucks. I'd still like to kick that guys arse for doing that. what a tool.

You?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 01:07 AM

4 scars. 3 requiring stitches. No stories for now.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 01:09 AM

Random stupidity with swiss army knives... nice clean cuts and now nice thin white scars on my thumbs...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 01:21 AM

biking to girlfriends house one night. the road i had to go down was under construction, there was no road, just the sidewalk that dropped off about 3 feet into the gravel future road. other bikes were coming towards me, i moved over to the edge, the ground beneath the front wheel fell beneath me and i completely flipped the bike and myself over the fron wheel smacking hy mead on the ground (no helmet=stupid idea). had a small cut on head and shoulder but i have about 5 scars on my left hand.
i have other scars too but those are not interesting at all, just surgery and small cuts

ambush
Banned
Dec 14, 2004, 01:31 AM

On my dick -- I cut it with a razor by accident, as seen on Macnn�

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 01:34 AM

4 inch scar on my stomach, happened after I fell on a security fence and punctured my stomach, diaphram, and lung. I guess I'm sorta lucky I'm here, I had to drive myeself to the ER.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cipher13
Dec 14, 2004, 02:18 AM

Oh, lots. Cigarette burn on my left arm. Multiple patch scars on my right arm all the way down from skateboarding. A scar on my right hip, left lower leg, left knee, and right knee, from the same skateboarding accident. Not sure if the graze on my shoulder scarred. Anyway, it was a big hill... and I went a bit fast... and bailed a bit late... etc. You know how it goes. But hey, I got straight back on

ambush
Banned
Dec 14, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
4 inch scar on my stomach, happened after I fell on a security fence and punctured my stomach, diaphram, and lung. I guess I'm sorta lucky I'm here, I had to drive myeself to the ER.

were u like stealing body fat from a lipusuction clinic to make soap out of it?

WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 02:57 AM

Scar on my neck from having a cyst removed, scar on my hand from God knows what.

I also have a scar on my eye because my genius tennis partner decided to run all the way over to my side and hit the overhead shot that was landing right in front of me. Idiot whacked me right in the eye, and his tennis racket was pretty rough, cutting me up pretty nicely

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 02:58 AM

Various bike accidents, usually involving my legs getting stuck in the gears. One on my eyelid when a dog bit my face. Some on my ankles from rope. The tips of 3 fingers on my left hand are all sunken and paper-ish from frost-bite.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2004, 03:19 AM

Being little, leaning back in a chair, fell backwards and hit my head on a bike pedal. Something like 11 stitches.

Also being little, and using a piece of glass as a sword (real genius I was), and jumping down and cutting my wrist with it. Still have a nice scar there.

Many accidents with knives. What can I say, I was in Boy Scouts...

I've actually been pretty lucky. No broken bones. No major accidents.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 03:34 AM

it was right after christmas when i was in second grade (or around there) and i had been asking for a bow and arrow set for so long.

one christmas i got it and went out into the field in front of my house and aimed the arrow out at about 45 degree angle to see how far i could shoot it.

i shot it and waited, and waited, and waited. turned around everywhere trying to locate 1 of my only 3 arrows.

i turned back again towards my house (opposite of where i shot it) and the arrow struck me right in the soft spot between my thumb and index finger.

i just ran without pulling it out, even though it did fall out before i got inside.

the wind was apparently blowing a lot harder than i realized i guess ...
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2004, 03:37 AM

Your arrow went around the world?!

Sweet!

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Your arrow went around the world?!

Sweet!
hehee, i thought that bow and arrow was the best one in the world at that time
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

entrox
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 06:16 AM

I've got several scars on my hands from assorted devices like knives, rusty nails or the innards of a PC case, one on my left heel (self-made.. with a knife no less) and two on my face from various BMX accidents. I'll better not count the broken bones. Unlike now, I was a pretty active kid in the past...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 10:20 AM

No stories, just scars.
Scar dissecting the eyebrow (chick magnet!) - from a bike accident.
Scar where my right heel was sewn back on - after a bike accident.
Scar on back of left hand - from slamming a car door on it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 10:37 AM

back of my left eblow. in the shower and my arm went straight through a ceramic soap dish holder. 8 stitches, big ugly scar.

back of left ankle. piece of said ceramic soap dish holder lodged itself in my leg. straight into a tattoo (required touching up). 5 stitches.

from middle of right nipple around to my back. skating accident. grinding a box and my wheel touched the box and i flew off into the edge of another box. sliced my side cleanly.

left shin. skating accident. scar there, and if you run your fingers down my shin you can feel the divot in my shin bone.

knees. covered in scars from skating.

down right of my belly button. spider bite. i hate spiders.

i think that's about it.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2004, 11:08 AM

3 inch scar on the right side of my head. was running down a hallway in the dorm, of course drunk, jumping while running and banging on doors and ran my head into an overhang coming out of the ceiling. 14 stiches at the ER. I didn't realize how much head wounds bled until I saw the blood running down my arm.....

I was in the military at the time and waited about 2 hours to make sure that I didn't look/sound drunk. oh, to be young and stupid again...

Joe

hayesk
Dec 14, 2004, 11:20 AM

I got a scar between my eyes from the edge of a 7-up can when I was five years old. Someone was swinging their arm with the can in it when I walked by. This was in the late '70s. Some of you will remember that soda cans were a lot thicker and stiffer than the easily crushable cans we have today.

drive-thru
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 12:02 PM

2 scars on my face (chin and on my nose between my eyes, 13 stitches in total) from a skateboarding accident similar to Cipher's.
1 scar on my right elbow about the size of a penny from another skateboarding accident, plus numerous small & faded scars on my elbows and hands from skateboarding, cycling and general childhood.
I broke my collarbone a few months ago after colliding with a car on my road bike.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 07:26 PM

On my chin, knee and knuckle, from tripping over whilst crossing a road and falling into a brick wall chin first. I do mean 'into' I was trying to save myself from falling, and ended up kind of diving forwards, it would have been onto the floor, but the wall stopped me before I got that far. It was at night, I got up and felt that my chin was kind of wet. I quickly felt my chin and looked at my hand, it was covered in blood. I looked at the other side of my hand and my knuckle was cut open. Then I tried walking and I felt my knee, my trouser leg was ripped and I'd deeply grazed my knee, I still have a scarred patch of skin there which is a darker colour and rougher skinned (this was 3 years ago now). I didn't feel my chin at all, even though it was cut open (I ended up in casualty having paper stitches). My knuckle and chin now have the 'white lines'. With my knee it was one of those weird things where I didn't feel any pain until I saw the cuts, and then it hurt like hell.

Not really a scar because its regrown now, but I lost my toenail after climbing a fence and landing toes first (I was on a Duke of Edinburgh Award orienteering trip), I got in the tent that night and saw one of my nails was purple, and had come away from my toe except for the root. I left it until a few days later when it didn't hurt, and cut the nail. It grew back and I now have a normal toenail again.

A few others from messing around in school, but not ever had any broken bones or anything very serious.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 07:37 PM

Quite a few.

Once when I was three, I tripped on a snag in the rug with my dress shoes and hit my head on the door. It scraped the hinge, and like 5 inches of my forehead skin was dangling off from one side. 16 stitches.

Various cuts from pocket knife. First year of scout camp I got that toten chip thing. I don't remember what the hell it was. Anyway, on a hike I stomped a dead tree and got a nice big stick. Brought it back, scrape scrap scrap and whaddayaknow, I got a 5 inch cut from my thumb to my index finger. Oh man, that was bleeding like a suckling ping. A couple of minor knicks and knacks, and maybe even one from a switchblade.

I get a burn about every month or so from playing with fire. Latest one: I was messing around with a pen and using chopssticks and matches to twist pens. It is sorta like bending metal. I drop the match, and I get up and step on the match. 2nd degree burn.

Not really a cut or anything: This one time I was reaching into my binder for a pencil. IT was one of those heavy drafting pencils with that grated barrel and that pointy tip. So I'm reaching in there, and then I poke myself with it. The led goes up about an 1/3 inch in under my index finger's nail. Took an hour to fish out. Hurt like a bitch for a month.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Quite a few.

Once when I was three, I tripped on a snag in the rug with my dress shoes and hit my head on the door. It scraped the hinge, and like 5 inches of my forehead skin was dangling off from one side. 16 stitches.

Various cuts from pocket knife. First year of scout camp I got that toten chip thing. I don't remember what the hell it was. Anyway, on a hike I stomped a dead tree and got a nice big stick. Brought it back, scrape scrap scrap and whaddayaknow, I got a 5 inch cut from my thumb to my index finger. Oh man, that was bleeding like a suckling ping. A couple of minor knicks and knacks, and maybe even one from a switchblade.

I get a burn about every month or so from playing with fire. Latest one: I was messing around with a pen and using chopssticks and matches to twist pens. It is sorta like bending metal. I drop the match, and I get up and step on the match. 2nd degree burn.

Not really a cut or anything: This one time I was reaching into my binder for a pencil. IT was one of those heavy drafting pencils with that grated barrel and that pointy tip. So I'm reaching in there, and then I poke myself with it. The led goes up about an 1/3 inch in under my index finger's nail. Took an hour to fish out. Hurt like a bitch for a month.
You really have a taste for self-inflicted wounds...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2004, 12:27 AM

39 stitches from brow to brow, broken nose, deviated septum(sp?), busted up my knees.

about 55mph into the side of a stopped full-size 2001 Ford Extended work van.

I think he won.
ice

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
On my dick -- I cut it with a razor by accident, as seen on Macnn�

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 12:35 AM

i got a couple of rocks embedded in my skin once. boy those were fun to get out.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 12:37 AM

my right forearm has a 6ish inch long scar. it resulted from surgery to fix an open, compound break of the radius and ulna. the break itself was caused by the combination of a hard plastic wrist guard and me jumping off of a wall while rollerblading, this around 1992: the end of the wristguard just snapped both bones. the wristguard did keep my wrist from being injured, to its credit.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 12:54 AM

Right arm - 3 inch scar I got when I was about 11. Plastic shrapnel from an exploding roman candle launcher I fashioned. I wasn't always the brightest when it came to handling fireworks.
Large burn scar on inside of right forearm. I was working for a lawn service years ago and burned myself trying to turn off the damn gas-operated leaf blower.
Scar on right ankle from surgery. I was running down stairs two at a time and missed one, tearing a tendon.
My favorite: A half-inch scar on my forehead acquired when I was four or five. My dad was in for surgery, and I fell and busted my head on the hospital waiting room coffee table. At least I didn't have far to go for medical attention.

Numerous smaller burn scars, mostly from clumsiness while cooking.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 12:57 AM

Once I punched a piece of plastic, it didn't break, but I noticed a large chunk of skin and flesh on the edge of the plastic. I was really confused until I looked at my hand. There was a huge peice of skin missing off of it.

A few bandages fixed it, but the skin in that area looks kind of weird today. The piece of plastic with my flesh on it made a nice microscope slide

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 12:59 AM

24 stitches on my left arm, just below the shoulder joint, when a chainsaw kicked back. Didn't even realize it at first, until I happened to looke at the wood pile on my left, about a minute later, and noticed my shirt was torn, and quite soaked. Lived 20 miles from a hospital, so I had the neighbor drive me. Could have been worse. I knew the saw had kicked, but I didn't realize that it had swung back to my arm, it happened so quickly.

7" scar on my right leg, from the time I drove a snowmobile over a 15' culvert, along side a freeway, and I wasn't going fast enough to get over. The machine turned right, and I went flying off the high point on the culvert, straight down to a frozen creek, landing skis first. I then flew off the machine, tearing my leg open on the throttle, even though my clothes weren't cut. Same 20 miles to the hospital.

My brother-in-law has me beat though. He was riding a snowmobile at 60mph on a frozen lake, and plowed head on into what he thought was a pile of snow, which turned out to be solid ice!!! He broke both his legs in multiple places, and has more nuts and bolts than most of the cars he works on, in his body. He spent a year off work, recuperating. Went back to work for a year, and then, back on the snowmobile, doing some racing through the woods, missed a turn, rammed a tree, flew off the machine, and wound up in a tree about twenty feet away, about six feet up!!!! He was 80 miles from home in northern lower Michigan, and the hospital up there couldn't do much for him, so they transported him 120 miles to Saginaw. He spent another year recurperating at home, during which time his wife sold all 4 of their machines, and told him that if he even mentioned them again, she would divorce him. About two years later he actually wanted to buy another one, but she held firm. Eight years later, at 63, he walks like a 90 year old.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2004, 02:10 AM

I have a 2" deep scar on my right hand from jumping a big wheel over some burning leaves when I was 6. I cut myself on some glass when landing.

What a daredevil :-P

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I have a 2" deep scar on my right hand from jumping a big wheel over some burning leaves when I was 6. I cut myself on some glass when landing.

What a daredevil :-P
Thats very cool.

jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 10:50 AM

My best one is a two inch long scar up the underside of my left wrist. Looks like I tryed to kill myself but infact it was where I had surgery to lengthen my little fingers tendon by 15mm. Broke my arm about 18 years ago and i ended up getting a knot in my tendon which means there was less "slack" in it. My little finger would curl up when I bent my hand backwards. Had to get it fixed when I was apply for the Air Force. Alas, the lengthening retracted and I was unable to get in to the forces.

One little knick on my stomach from trying to push a glass tube through a rubber stopper in Chemistry. Tube broke and went straight through my shirt and knicked me before i reacted and pulled it back.

One place I should have a scar is on the ball of my foot. Was walking along the rocks at the beach one day and suddenly realised my foot was "moving" underneath me. Had a look and I must have sliced it on some glass or something. The whole ball of my foot was hanging on by about 5mm of skin. I washed it out in the saltwater, sealed it back up then had to ride home on my bike about 10km. It ended up healing perfectly. Strange.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2004, 12:28 PM

Two Scars

The first one is on my right thumb. It happened when I was 5 or 6 years old. I was running in the kitchen with a babyfood jar full of seawater and seashells.
While running I smashed the jar into the leg of the kitchen table. My thumb was peeled back like a Banana. I was actualy very lucky to keep my thumb. 20-30 stiches.

Second scar is one that sometimes spooks the Barber when I get a haircut. I was 7 years old and I was in the basket part of the shopping cart.
I stood up I walked to the front of the cart and the cart fell to the side and I fell into a cosmetics display. A display divided with plate glass.
I have a scar the is 4-5 inches long on the back of my kneck. What a bloody mess that was. Lucky for me and my Mom the cosmetics section was next to the Pharmacy at the old Thrifty's store. I must of lost a lot of blood because all I really remember is my Mom holding me in her arms waiting for the Ambulance to arrive.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 01:00 PM

I just have a few small scars. No stitches. One dog bite. The others small cuts.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 07:06 AM

Y-shape scar on my left thumb - I was 15 years old, and trying to cut some wood with a scalpel.
2 scars on left index finger due to getting a fishhook embedded.
Scar over my right kneecap - got a tent peg smashed into the kneecap - not fun at all! Still limping...
Left eyebrow - a wee scar due to a piece of burning nylon rope splashing... Thanks bad!
3 scars on my chin, a total of 45 stitches - 1 from one accident on my bike (managed in total darkness to ride my bike into some stairs on a lawn), and 2 from being hit by a car while crossing a busy road on a bike...

That's about it for the time being...

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
I'd still like to kick that guys arse for doing that. what a tool.
If you ever see him again, haul back and punch him in the nose... HARD! And say, "THAT'S for my finger!" (Just kidding)

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 03:51 PM

1) Scar on my index finger from when I used a box cutter to cut the box it came in (seemed logical at the time).

2) Scar on the back of my hand from a staple in the couch (I was looking for change)

3) Scar on the side of my wrist - no idea where it came from

4) Scar on my forehead (shaped like a lighting bolt, JK). Slipped on ice a week before my engagement party and split my forehead on a brick step.

5) Scar "down there" from a hernia operation when I was 5

Amazingly, I have never broken a bone or been stung by a wasp or bee.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
2) Scar on the back of my hand from a staple in the couch (I was looking for change)

My fingerprint on my middle finger is weird looking. On the center of my fingerprint, I have what looks like a hook with a loop on the end. When I was six or seven, I split my middle finger open (I could see my bone) on a staple embedded in a car seat.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

The worst thing to get cut with is a razor. Those things hurt. Not just the shavers, but the real square blades. I found an old box and decided to cut up a few things, like this sketch book I use for a mousepad (I get 0 traction on the wood). There was a piece of it sticking up that I always hit when I mouse around (I think it was a cat claw that ripped that up). So I take the blade and cut it at the base, but when I got through the piece I was cutting it almost hit my hand. That thing could have taken my finger tip of. I don't want to be Tommy Iommi.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
The worst thing to get cut with is a razor. Those things hurt. Not just the shavers, but the real square blades. I found an old box and decided to cut up a few things, like this sketch book I use for a mousepad (I get 0 traction on the wood). There was a piece of it sticking up that I always hit when I mouse around (I think it was a cat claw that ripped that up). So I take the blade and cut it at the base, but when I got through the piece I was cutting it almost hit my hand. That thing could have taken my finger tip of. I don't want to be Tommy Iommi.
I had the opposite experience - I didn't even feel it. The blade was brand new and sliced quite nicely through my finger. Cut so deep I went through nerves that have never repaired themselves. I still have little feeling where that scar is. I didn't even know I cut myself until i looked down and saw blood.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:40 PM

some good stories in this classic thread.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 09:12 PM

Like Sesawaya, I got a messed up pinky on my left hand - but different story.

High school lacrosse game (I was a longpole). 13-11 with like 4 mins left for the regionals (we were down) and a middie was driving the cage, so I forced him out to the corner and he had no clear pass. I had him locked between my pole and my forearm and I was driving him out of bounds. He dropped to the ground to try for a penalty, so I got pissed. He got up and started talking, so I cracked him across the helmet with my glove on. Both teams rushed over and we had a semi-brawl. I was in the pileup in a rage and somehow my glove popped off. Long story short, My left pinky got stuck in their goalies' facemask and he shook his head, breaking it in 4 places.

The doctors stitched it up and it's actually pretty good. I have 90% motor and full feeling (except on the scar), but it was a fun fight so it was worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules