Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > will someone please post the powerpage specs here

will someone please post the powerpage specs here
omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 01:45 PM

please post the powerpage specs here, can't seem to view their page.

joe_kr
Nov 4, 2002, 02:00 PM

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 02:17 PM

They had some Powerbook information up late last night that Macrumors didn't get. Just talked about cooling and 16" screens and claimed the Powerbooks are coming January. Given what we know, that's obviously questionable.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2002, 02:34 PM

In our last installment of this salacious tale we told you about a new Variable Bus Timing feature that Apple is experimenting with for the upcoming PowerBook G4 Titanium. The VBT 'Books are reported to be announced at Macworld Expo San Francisco in January 2003.

The new, new:

+ The heat reduction system is new for the MWSF machine. Some of the inside of the chassis is now made out of metal instead of plastic, and this has the effect of transferring some of the heat to various locations around the PowerBook.

+ The processor cooling system is also different, with a new radiator size and location compared to the previous models.

+ The screen size on the model talked about above is the same, however, I have seen a mockup with a different screen, I think it was a 16" like one of the new PC notebooks, but I am unsure of this feature because I only saw a mockup not a working mule.

+ They got a new supplier of light bulbs for the screen, so even if the size/resolution doesn't change, it will be brighter. Screen power supply is also different.
Personally, i put a lot more stock in ThinkSecret.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2002, 07:46 PM

I think they are talking about the next revision after this coming one, which is why things don't seem to match what we "know."

I don't really trust PowerPage must though.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I think they are talking about the next revision after this coming one, which is why things don't seem to match what we "know."

I don't really trust PowerPage must though.
If it's the next revision they're talking about then it doesn't sound right. They claim January 2003, most likely Macworld. That would give Apple just over a month and a half to flood the channels, stop production, retool the production line for a massively redesigned powerbook, dry up inventory, redo all their marketing materials, begin building up inventory again.

notgonnahappen

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 09:02 PM

They've already flooded the market and halted production. Remember that sale to Ingram Micro for 25% off.

PowerBooks will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 09:21 PM

Various rumor sites, individuals, and even C/Net, are falling into line with confirmations of updates this week, either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I sure wonder where the "Variable Bus Timing" fits in here - I sure can't imagine clearing out inventory for a speed bump this week, and then retooling the Ti's for something requiring major engineering changes that VBT will need. Maybe that will come at MWNY?

DAMN! Another couple of sleepless nights!!!

iBorg

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 09:35 PM

Substantial updates won't happen at MWSF unless the update we get in a week is a rehash of the current models with faster processors but the same graphics chipset. I mean, the new PowerBooks are substantially changed, but the PowerBooks I've heard are substantially different. Once they come out, it'll be a substantial update, but I have to doubt that Apple would just bump the current models with slightly faster processors and no new graphics hardware.

A friend (who actually has one of these) claims that the new machine has significantly increased cooling capacity and that it doesn't run poorly on a bed or anything that might insultate a little heat. If this is not true of the new machines that come out either tomorrow or Wednesday, we might be talking about two completely different releases.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
They've already flooded the market and halted production. Remember that sale to Ingram Micro for 25% off.

PowerBooks will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Sorry, I was commenting on how some people seem to think that there will be a revision this week *and* a revision in January which seems to be what the Powerpage is implying.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 10:31 PM

If that's the case, they'd already be stopping production of these new models and preparing to tool up the production lines for the models that are to ship in January. I highly doubt that. Two-month product cycles aren't like Apple.

If that's indeed true, the update that'll come around tomorrow or Wednesday will be almost identical to today's TiBooks, including only slightly faster processors (733-megahertz CPU's on the low-end TiBook and 867-megahertz CPU's on the high-end model).

I highly doubt this. I've heard otherwise. I think we're going to see faster 'Books at 867-megahertz and 1-gigahertz clock speeds with a completely redone architecture. The cooling is significantly improved from what I've heard. The displays are a bit brighter as well.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 11:08 PM

Substantial updates won't happen at MWSF unless the update we get in a week is a rehash of the current models with faster processors but the same graphics chipset. I mean, the new PowerBooks are substantially changed, but the PowerBooks I've heard are substantially different. Once they come out, it'll be a substantial update, but I have to doubt that Apple would just bump the current models with slightly faster processors and no new graphics hardware.

A friend (who actually has one of these) claims that the new machine has significantly increased cooling capacity and that it doesn't run poorly on a bed or anything that might insultate a little heat. If this is not true of the new machines that come out either tomorrow or Wednesday, we might be talking about two completely different releases.
You do a very good job of protecting your *** right before the deadline.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 11:17 PM

Uhh, I've been burned once. I might as well learn from my mistakes.

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 11:18 PM

Uhh, I've been burned once. I might as well learn from my mistakes.
hehe, fair enough

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 11:19 PM

That, and my source in Apple manufacturing helped me hit the mirrored-drive G4's perfectly. I told the forums the specs (1.25-gigahertz G4's with DDR memory) ages before the Apple retailer in French claimed the same specifications and posted pictures of the new case.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 11:20 PM

Even if I don't hit the PowerBooks on the dot this time, I will tell you for sure that Apple's coming out with a new, 19-inch LCD display that will make their 17-inch offering the low-end display.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 11:23 PM

The resolution on the 19-inch panels is a bit high, but they're slightly wide panels that will sell competitively. I like them.

I don't like the new styling, though. The silver Apple logo, like the logo on the iMac and Cinema HD displays, can pick up fingerprints very easily.

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2002, 11:26 PM

Even if I don't hit the PowerBooks on the dot this time, I will tell you for sure that Apple's coming out with a new, 19-inch LCD display that will make their 17-inch offering the low-end display.
Sean,

do you know anything about what video card Apple will use in the updated PB's? I, like many others, hope it will be the Radeon 9000 Mobility. Do you have inside scoop on this (amount of VRAM, etc)? No prob if you don't want to put yourself into a hole, just wondering. If it still the Radeon 7500 Mobility (like some rumor sites are stating) then I will be a bit disappointed. The 9000 with a 1 Ghz processor should keep PB owners happy for a while.

thanks.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by trowa barton:
If it still the Radeon 7500 Mobility (like some rumor sites are stating) then I will be a bit disappointed. The 9000 with a 1 Ghz processor should keep PB owners happy for a while.
Exactly. With competitor laptops already shipping with this upgraded video chip, there is simply no reason why Apple couldn't, also - especially considering the several hundred dollar premium we pay for top-of-the-line Ti's.

iBorg

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:

Exactly. With competitor laptops already shipping with this upgraded video chip, there is simply no reason why Apple couldn't, also - especially considering the several hundred dollar premium we pay for top-of-the-line Ti's.

iBorg
I got a make a point here. I fully understand that I could get a much more powerful machine in the Intel world. What attracted me to Apple in the first place was OS/X. I come from a UNIX background (over 10 years), and I *NEVER* even thought Apple, until OS/X came around.

You can go look at the most extreme PC laptop there is, but your not going to be interested. Not after you have seen OS/X.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

I got a make a point here. I fully understand that I could get a much more powerful machine in the Intel world. What attracted me to Apple in the first place was OS/X. I come from a UNIX background (over 10 years), and I *NEVER* even thought Apple, until OS/X came around.

You can go look at the most extreme PC laptop there is, but your not going to be interested. Not after you have seen OS/X.
i agree with jhunt 100%. for wintel users to get the power of nix. they would have to install Cygwin, Linux, or some emulating software that lets u install another OS. (forgot the name)

ppl need to stop comparing Apple hardware with Wintel hardware. maybe down the road we can but not at this present moment.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:21 AM

You missed the point here - you shouldn't have to choose between a Ti with OS X, and a top-shelf ATI graphics chip. We should expect both, especially considering the price we pay for Ti's! And with the 9000 and 7500 being pin-compatible, there is simply no reason for Apple to deny us this improved capability - unless they plan to offer another minor feature bump in January, and include it then. (Wouldn't that really anger pre-Christmas purchasers!)

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:
ppl need to stop comparing Apple hardware with Wintel hardware. maybe down the road we can but not at this present moment.
Completely wrong! While certain hardware may be difficult for Apple to engineer at present (e.g. slot-loading DVD-R fitting current Ti form-factor), there is simply no reason why Apple couldn't give us the Best ATI 9000 series video chip! It's pin-compatible with the 7500, it's currently available, and competitors are including it already.

The Mac-buying public should continue to demand cutting edge features - you shouldn't have to "buy a peecee" to expect this. And if Jobs is serious about improving market share, this is an absolute must.

iBorg

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 12:47 AM

The Mac-buying public should continue to demand cutting edge features - you shouldn't have to "buy a peecee" to expect this. And if Jobs is serious about improving market share, this is an absolute must.

iBorg
Well since I am completly new to the Mac world, honestly, I am just too anxious to get my hands on one. The powerbook will be my first mac purchase come tuesday/wednesday, and I fully understand what I am doing. I do understand your point iBorg, and I believe you�re are 100% accurate at what the mac-public should be demanding. For me however, I can let the first one slide a little bit to get my hands on OS/X.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 12:54 AM

For me however, I can let the first one slide a little bit to get my hands on OS/X.
I agree completely - each purchaser needs to determine what they need, and if the current offering is it, then buy it.

What I disagreed with was the notion that somehow we have to accept inferior technology to buy Macs.

I haven't completely decided upon what I'll buy yet - I'm leaning toward waiting for upgraded graphics capabilities, if all that comes this week is $200 price drop with a speed bump. If Apple doesn't included the 9000 ATI Radeon, that means they'll do so in the next few months, perhaps when they also offer DVD-R/DVD-RW?

Sure wish I had a listening bug in Cupertino....

iBorg

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 01:49 AM

I agree completely - each purchaser needs to determine what they need, and if the current offering is it, then buy it.

What I disagreed with was the notion that somehow we have to accept inferior technology to buy Macs.

I haven't completely decided upon what I'll buy yet - I'm leaning toward waiting for upgraded graphics capabilities, if all that comes this week is $200 price drop with a speed bump. If Apple doesn't included the 9000 ATI Radeon, that means they'll do so in the next few months, perhaps when they also offer DVD-R/DVD-RW?

Sure wish I had a listening bug in Cupertino....

iBorg
i wasnt trying to say we have to accept inferior technology when buying a Mac, but after re-reading my post. it did sound that way. my bad.

i guess what im trying to say is that are you willing to buy a PB tommorrow or Weds that has a ATI 7500 video card or are you willing to wait until they come out w/ a better one w/ more video ram.

even u stated that you are leaning towards waiting til a video upgrade...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:
even u stated that you are leaning towards waiting til a video upgrade...
True - the thing that bothers me about this is that none of us should have to wait for an ATI 9000 series video chip - it's available now, and Apple could have included it with this upgrade.

For me, maybe it'll work out better this way - if I have to wait for better video capabilities, I'll probably be able to get DVD-R/DVD-RW as well. Sure wish I didn't have to wait, though....

iBorg

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:12 AM

I've been told not to state that the RADEON 9000 will be in the PowerBooks religiously, but my source tells me at least that he plays WarCraft III at the highest resolution possible with no graphics problems whatsoever. I think he was hinting at the machine having a RADEON 9000.

Who knows, though? Video memory for these chips is on-board, so basically, Apple could switch them around as per component availability. It blows the mind.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 03:28 AM

Sean,

Maybe I've been putting too much importance in the inclusion of the Radeon 9000 in the upcoming Ti upgrade.

You're pretty knowledgable in this area - what do we gain, or lose, in waiting for the 9000 vs. buying a Ti with a 7500 now? Much difference in gaming capability? (I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I want to be able to waste some time with new games periodically, and don't want to be unable to in another year!) How about other video capability?

Appreciate any advice you can give!

iBorg

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 03:38 AM

Sean,

Maybe I've been putting too much importance in the inclusion of the Radeon 9000 in the upcoming Ti upgrade.

You're pretty knowledgable in this area - what do we gain, or lose, in waiting for the 9000 vs. buying a Ti with a 7500 now? Much difference in gaming capability? (I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I want to be able to waste some time with new games periodically, and don't want to be unable to in another year!) How about other video capability?

Appreciate any advice you can give!

iBorg
depends on what types of gaming you are into. no matter what type of video card you get, its gonna be obsolete next yr but you will still be able to play games that are released but might not be up to par w/ the latest video card release...

my friend that has a PB 500 w/ 8mb video is able to run WC3 just fine but not as smooth as I can. point is he can still play w/ his 8mb video. my dell c600 w/ an ATI 8mb ran WC3 just fine.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2002, 04:23 AM

I'm going to have to disagree about WC3 being playable with 8MB of video memory. Well, it may be playable, but just barely, even at the lowest settings. If you've even seen it on a machine that can do it justice, it will be hard to go back to playing it with an 8MB card. This is actually the issue that has me thinking about what I really want from a computer. My current Powerbook, a G4 upgraded Pismo, is actually very usable for most things, but it really sucks for most newer games. My friend with a slightly slower cube gets quite good performance from games like WC3. The difference being that he has upgraded his video card, while I am stuck with my old one.

It's frustrating that apple only has one machine (the tower) that has an upgradeable video card (or processor, for that matter). I guess that is the price you pay for having a laptop, but it's too bad there isn't a product like the cube anymore.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 01:21 PM

i want to know how apple is going to squeeze lightbulbs into the screen ..... that prediction alone says that powerpage doesnt know what is going on

FlashGordon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
i want to know how apple is going to squeeze lightbulbs into the screen ..... that prediction alone says that powerpage doesnt know what is going on
where do you think the light from the LCD comes from?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by FlashGordon:

where do you think the light from the LCD comes from?
i was just commenting on the phrasing of the statement... it alludes to apple buying a bunch of lightbulbs to make it brighter... i dunno, it just created a funny image in my head

that being said, i really dont know how LCDs work

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 01:49 PM

Compressed lightbulbs. The same way they compressed the PB's frame to getit soo flat is the same process for the lightbulbs. Very delicate work as the bulb can sometimes break during the compression process, so the prices may increase for this next rev.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Compressed lightbulbs. The same way they compressed the PB's frame to getit soo flat is the same process for the lightbulbs. Very delicate work as the bulb can sometimes break during the compression process, so the prices may increase for this next rev.
I'm picturing Rick Moranis using his invention in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" .......

iBorg

beefstu01
Nov 5, 2002, 07:59 PM

Any word on when USB2 and 802.11a (or .11g) will be implemented? Those are the next things that (should) be in line, IMHO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules