Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac, iSub, Wireless Headphones

iMac, iSub, Wireless Headphones
kingskel
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2003, 05:21 PM

Yo all:

I'm heading (back) to school in the Fall. I'm bringing the iMac with all my tunes on it, but as I'm living in residence I don't want to blast le' tunage too loud. I'm considering getting wireless headphones, but it occurred to me: the iSub uses the USB port, and the wireless headphones will use the headphone port. Thus, I'll have to turn off the iSub every time I want to use the headphones. Two questions:

1. Is anyone aware of any way around this?

2. Can anyone reccommend a good - yet relatively inexpensive (I mean not $300) wireless headphones?

Cheers!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 07:13 PM

Whenever anything, any 1/8 in audio plug, is plugged into an iMac's headphone port, all other sound-producing isntruments don't make sound. This is a fundamental thing to iMacs, and possibly with all Macintoshes - you can "disable" the loud startup sound by plugging in the headphones then starting up. Sound will only play through the headphones ports if anything is plugged in.

Note, anything - I tried it with an audio splitter cable attached to nothing and it made no sound.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

kingskel  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not quite sure what your point is.

If I plug headphones in the headphone jack of my iMac (800mhz, 17inch), I still get bass from my iSub.

omarv
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2003, 12:57 AM

I have the same problem, I haven't found away around it either, I ended just keeping the iMac hooked to my stereo and not using the isub

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 06:05 PM

kingskel -

There is a workaround and it's pretty easy to do.

1. Open your System Preferences
2. Select Startup Disk
3. Select Mac OS 9
4. Reboot

It's a problem with the iSub driver in OS X that the iSub will not turn off when you plug in headphones. Mac OS 9 does not have this issue and *will* silence your iSub when you plug in your headphones.

And now you're thinking, "yo, this doesn't help me at all dude."

My suggestion: write to Apple.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 09:07 AM

(edit): I missed that you suggested this in your original post. My bad, but I'll leave it.

System Preferences>Sound>Output

There's a checkbox to mute the iSub. I'll agree that it's not very elegant, but it's better than booting in OS 9.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules