Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > apple remote desktop 2

apple remote desktop 2
justinhale
Jun 30, 2004, 09:52 AM

brilliant application.

is there anything close to the administrative functions for the PC?
a program that would lock screens, etc..

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 10:57 AM

i cant wait to get my hands on this one

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 11:54 AM

Remote screen control is still too slow, especially compared to Windows Remote Desktop. I'm very happy it will now scale the other screen to fit the window, but unless you are on a 10/100 connection it is painfully slow for me. I just wish Apple would include a 1 to 1 connection ability in Tiger, I don't need all of the slick features of ARD, I just want to control my server with the laptop.

-matt

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Remote screen control is still too slow, especially compared to Windows Remote Desktop. I'm very happy it will now scale the other screen to fit the window, but unless you are on a 10/100 connection it is painfully slow for me. I just wish Apple would include a 1 to 1 connection ability in Tiger, I don't need all of the slick features of ARD, I just want to control my server with the laptop.

-matt
Are you talking about ARD 2? How would you know?

memento
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

It's not so slow for my friend across the internet with limited upload bandwidth on cable. adjust the slider in the top right to decrease the # of colors to thousands or 256.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by memento:
It's not so slow for my friend across the internet with limited upload bandwidth on cable. adjust the slider in the top right to decrease the # of colors to thousands or 256.
how do you have it set up to control across the internet? i would love to control my Mac at home from my Mac @ work.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 04:19 PM

I've heard that ARD v2.0 is buggy as hell thus far...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by memento:
Apple should dev a PC viewer app. You have to use a VPC viewer which although works quite well, lacks lots of the features of the full ARD app. Not being able to reduce the number of colours to increase the responsiveness being a big one.

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
how do you have it set up to control across the internet? i would love to control my Mac at home from my Mac @ work.
You have to set up the port forwarding on both sets of routers (at home and at work). A lots of good info can be found on the Apple ARD Descussions board has lots of useful info and hints that are not in the instructions.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Aug 16, 2004 at 06:43 PM. )

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I've heard that ARD v2.0 is buggy as hell thus far...
you're absolutely right. other than the fact nowhere it tells you about opening up vnc ports (which is a PITA, not a show stopper though), every time I click on the "scanner" tab the damn thing crashes.

-- james

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2004, 06:17 AM

I've had no bugs or crashes, my biggest problem is that when I restart a remote machine, it is not discovered by ARD until I manually log in to the remote machine. This is a pain. Chicken of the VNC will discover the restarted machine, but I can't seem to enter a username/pword at the login screen with that, so I end up with the same problem.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules