Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Green Apple here....

Green Apple here....
summer369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 09:18 AM

Hello,
I am intrigued with the Mac world and want to learn.
I have lurked and read alot about Mac stuff for the past weeks and even bot a Mac book.

I broke down and purchased the 12' PB.(lovely!) I have played with it and well, I just don't understand what to do with it.

This is how clueless I am.....
Okay, I tried simple stuff like download a wallpaper screen...it showed coming through (I guess) but I don't know how to load it onto the PB.

I'm really lost....I thought I'd be able to grasp this....can someone enlighen me with a quick lesson 101? Or is there a good website out there on how to use a Mac? I keep thinking I'm going to break it...I have zero concept of how this OS functions...
Okay I'm fessing up...I'm a PC user....

I have the basics of it...turn on off function...getting into the system preference (control panel) I understand most stuff there.
It is okay to have icons on the screen is it okay to add more icons on the dock, should I? These are the types of dumb questions I have...and if I may....what are the rules in using a Mac are there?

Thanks in advance....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2004, 09:25 AM

I think maybe you should read the book you bought...

Or if that doesn't help, get one of the visual guides for Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) that has lots of pictures.

dwood
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 09:27 AM

if i may ask, where do u live?

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 09:46 AM

Toronto, Canada...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 09:54 AM

For a general-purpose "how to use the Mac", I'd suggest a book.

Mac OSX: The Missing Manual is a good, safe bet.

As to your desktop picture question, put the desktop picture in the "Pictures" folder in your home directory. Open "System Preferences" from the Apple Menu. Click on "Desktop & Screen Saver". Click "Pictures Folder" in the list at the bottom left. Click the thumbnail of the image you downloaded.

Remember that ".bmp" is not a native Mac format. Choose "jpeg" or "pict" when downloading pictures for your desktop.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

dwood
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by summer369:
Toronto, Canada...
then i guess an apple retail store is out of the question. If the book aint cuttin it for ya check out www.macacademy.com

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 10:06 AM

Thanks Arkham_c...looks like I picked up the wrong book.
I read that book I picked up earlier, however, it only explained the features, not how to apply them. Can't wait to master this OS.

I will pick up the book you suggested...and thanks for the quick how-to for pictures.

Right now I'm draining the battery on the PB...so I'm on my a..(whisper) PC.

Thanks again....

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 10:23 AM

Hey Dwood
There are authorized Mac dealers here and is within driving distance.
The person I dealt with at the store where I purchased the PB was not very knowledgeable....I asked him where the so called 'control panel' was on a Mac to change the trackpad setting. The trackpad was so choppy on the demo that I had to fix it but had no clue. I asked a customer who was admiring one of the PBs and he told me.
I wanted to go home with him....he had all the answers!!!! Obviously a Mac user but rare to find in my neck of the woods!

Arkham suggested another book and I will pick that up today.
Thanks for the link...I will check that out too.

dwood
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 10:30 AM

the reason i said that was because the apple retail store in the states, and the 2 in japan offer free classes for getting started, but yes, the books, etc are good resources

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 11:35 AM

Another (free!) option, though only to get you started, is the built in help on the system. When you are in the finder, select help from the 'help' menu, and there should be a section on switching from both OS9 and Windows. Search if it does not appear immediately.

I urge you to stick with it, as the one good thing about the Mac interface is that it is consistent, so once you learn how to do something once, it should be the same in most programs that you encounter.

Good Luck!

David

P.S. I've had problems with my 12" and have had to get it repaired a few times, and now replaced, but I'd still recommend them to anyone - that's how good they are.

mhodos
Sep 18, 2004, 11:41 AM

The original poster didn't mention this specifically, but since I had never really "read" it, the Mac OSX Help file has plenty of good info.

hth,

Mike

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hello,

I'm a Mac convert too from PC (about three days now) and I was exploring all over my powerbook and now i'm getting used to it and it's not that hard matter fact it was so easy, I'd recommend you to get more time with your PB and things will be fine.

BTW an applestore is close to my home so if something happen w/ my PB I just go ahead there and most likely I will buy the applecare as this one is used and almost running out of apple warranty in two months.

I was thinking to buy books too but heck I will never read those so I just do it my self and see. So far has been smooth and Apple PB is rock!.

Ike

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
Another (free!) option, though only to get you started, is the built in help on the system. When you are in the finder, select help from the 'help' menu, and there should be a section on switching from both OS9 and Windows. Search if it does not appear immediately.

I urge you to stick with it, as the one good thing about the Mac interface is that it is consistent, so once you learn how to do something once, it should be the same in most programs that you encounter.

Good Luck!

David

P.S. I've had problems with my 12" and have had to get it repaired a few times, and now replaced, but I'd still recommend them to anyone - that's how good they are.
Thanks for responding David,
I'm waiting for the PB to finish charging before I do more exploring.
Yes, I will check out the Help section. I did come across this OS 9 section where it asked if I wanted to (I think) enable it. I was very unsure if I should...is this correct...the OS 9 is an older OS and there are other programs that can be used but before you can use them you have to enable this feature/OS? I was and am afraid of enabling anything unless its the obvious...my fear is if I enable it, how do I get it back to the original OS on the PB.

Well more reading and exploring required...thanks..

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 12:22 PM

The 'classic' mode that you are referring to is unlikely to be of any help to you, as you won't have any old Mac programs. Anyhow, all it lets you do is use these old programs from within OS X. It's kind of like emulation, but as they both use the same processor, there is no real speed hit. In fact, you can't boot into the old system, as your powerbook is too new. There really isn't any harm to come from installing this capacity, apart from the disk space which it takes up, as long as you don't set it to activate itself upon startup. Then it'll just make startup longer and may hog some of your RAM.

Don't worry. Apart from erasing your system folder, there is little you can do to truly screw up your system without it being easily correctable. I myself had reservations about switching from OS9 to OSX, but when I finally did, I felt at home very quickly, and crashes went from once every few days to once in a blue moon.

David

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 12:30 PM

I wrote a bunch of random 'Guides' to some Apple OS X programs while working at my college IT department. If you want to view them, feel free to do so.

http://www.joshuazimmerman.com/tech/tutorials.php

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 01:06 PM

Milkman thank you...I have bookmarked your site and will read them.
Right now my eyes are going goo goo....I've been on here awhile and need to stop soon. There is so much to learn and so much to read!

I've been looking and have not found an answer yet...can you help me out on this? When I download a program...how do I install it on the PB? Does Mac install .exe files?

Thanks again...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 01:53 PM

No you can't install .exe files on a mac. What were you thinking of installing specifically.

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 02:49 PM

I was checking out software and an .exe file came through, when I saw what was downloaded I recalled reading that you cant install an .exe file. I dragged it into the Trash....so what extensions do I look for for Macs.

Im using my PB now and Im having problems with the typing.
I cannot type the aposterphe (sorry cant spell) I get this....�. The key Im referring to is the key on the left of the Return key. As you can see I cannot use the key so I have dropped it.
This is my first time typing on the PB....why is there a lag when I type.
Oh oh.... I cant type a question mark either without getting this..�
While trying to get a question mark happening...for some reason typing speed is okay now...this is awful I feel so dumb.... Boy do I ever have to get used to this keyboard...my typing is horrible! Oh look the exclamation works!

Sorry getting silly....was just reading up in the Help section on the PB...will continue once I post this..thx again all for helping me out!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 03:43 PM

I think that the way to fix your e problem is to open system preferences and click on the international button and then click on the tab on the right labeled input menu and check what is checked, in your case it should be the U.S. box if it isn't check that one and uncheck the others.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:53 PM

If you really really really need a windows program to run on your Mac, and you can't find a Mac version/ something just as good, buy Virtual PC. Its a bit slow, and I can't say I ever use mine. But if you need it for work or school or something, use it.

Just don't let it be a crutch for avoiding using OS X programs. Its a last resort.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 07:50 AM

Try your local Mac users group... Always a great place to start.

http://www.apple.com/usergroups/locator/

http://homepage.mac.com/watrmug/links.html

ON, Toronto
Apple Insider Macintosh User Group - Canada
AIMUG-Canada

ON, Toronto
Digital Domain

ON, Toronto
Loyal Ontario Group Interested in Computers
LOGIC

ON, Toronto
Macintosh Sisters
MacSisters

cybermat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 09:08 AM

First of all, congraulations on your purchase. I also live in Toronto, Canada. Like you, I made the switch a year ago and I never looked back. I have the 15" PB. Anyway, regarding your question about extensions. Correct me if I am wrong all the Mac gurus out there, I think Windows executable = .app extension in OSX. I don't think it's a file, but a directory of resource files require to make OSX know that it's an application. If you know your way around the UNIX terminal, you would know what I mean.

Anyhow, feel free to drop me a message if you need any more help. I will try my best to help.

Cheers

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:07 PM

Welcome to the World of Macs

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 08:35 PM

Hello everyone,
Thought I'd drop in a line to thank you all again for all your help and input.
I picked up the latest Missing Manual book and it has "definately" answered all my questions....This book is "perfect" for the beginner.
I'm more confident using the PB now and feel alot more comfortable using it....I know I won't break it...its just I don't really know the OS like I know Windows...I'll get there!
I must say I am almost in LOVE with this OS. I'm raving about it already at work to my fellow IT geeks who uses Windows only!
The PB..well it's a keeper...I really like it. If I could change anything on it, it would be the screen. If it incorporated Sony's Xbrite screen it would be pure perfection! I loved the new Sony Vaio 13.3" lappy..the screen was beautiful and bright but it was noisy and it felt like it was going to break. Returned it and bot the PB.
I mentioned to my sister that I ventured over to the Mac OS. Her first comment was 'thats great but its no good because you can't use Word documents etc..with a Mac/Apple computer"...I said with a little research you'd be surprised and intrigued!
I was intrigued and curious...my father-in-law finally started to use the Mac he bot last year and when I was visiting last...he wanted to show me his pictures...well after 15 minutes of trying to figure out how to get his pictures up....I wanted to take over and give it a shot instead of just standing there 'bored'...he's so stubborn.....I managed to slither away...he never did show us the pictures...I'll show him the next time I'm over!!!!!
Well more exploring to be had....take care all!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:06 PM

You can use microsoft word documents.

summer369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 09:37 PM

I guess you had to be there....my point was her perception of Mac's.
I have Mac Office 2004 and it works great...

dennisbolt
Sep 24, 2004, 09:28 PM

Welcome Summer369

I noticed that you mentioned having to wait for it to charge to work?....you can work with it plugged in and charging.

If you keyboard is still kinda funny you might check to see that you have the language correct-it is in the international part of system preferences.

I would add "system preferences" to your dock for easy access..

Most Microsfot programs are available on Mac. The main shortfall in programs is in the smaller independent programs and in games. All the best programs actaully have easier-to-use version for Mac:-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules