Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need advice on G4 iMac

Need advice on G4 iMac
Monkeymike
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 12:55 AM

Hello friends,
My Blueberry iMac DV 400 has died. It was just 2 years old and still under an extended warranty (thank God!) and I am getting a check for $1000 to replace the unit. My question is do I get the Graphite 600mhz old form factor iMac or the new G4. I know this seems like s silly question but I am so used to the old one and loved it. This new iMac is cool but will I love him as much as my poor old dearly departed iMac DV? Can I hear from any others who have upgraded. Do you like the white keyboard?

Thanks for any and all comments on your new Mac's
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2002, 01:39 AM

I would go with the G4 iMac. It's tomorrows computer, today, and I couldn't be happier with mine.
Am I still here?

phatbeats
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 03:20 AM

Hey,

I was wondering the same thing... It's a pretty big price difference. But something I found out convinced me. Apparently Aqua (OSX's interface) uses the G4 altivec extensions. Can't remember where I read it (so don't quote me), but if it's true, the G4 is definately worth it (unless you plan on running 9).

Al

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 12:07 PM

I don't have a new iMac (although I would sorely like to), but realistically it's what you'd want in terms of hardware - it's going to be much faster and with more features, has more recent software out of the gate, and (in my opinion) is more stylish. That's important to consider when you'll probably be using the system for a good few years.

The only concern (apart from the fact that more money is involved) is that you may not be able to get a new iMac all that quickly. While there's word that Apple might announce at MW Tokyo (Thursday) that they've taken care of a supply shortage issue, that's just a rumour - you may end up waiting quite a bit to get a new system.

Of course, if you do order online you may end up waiting anyways - so why not go for something you'll really be happy with? You might be able to find an "old" 600 MHz iMac in a store, but I'm not sure if immediate gratification will seem worthwhile in the months afterwards. Heck, if you and your wallet are feeling up to it, quite a few stores (including non-Apple stores) are carrying the new iMac 800... you could have it both ways!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2002, 12:14 PM

iMac G4

You'll love it.

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: GK ]

jcarr
Senior User
Mar 19, 2002, 12:14 PM

I'd bite the bullett. Kick down the extra $500 ($400 academic) and get at least the mid-range iMac. You'll be happier with the G4 in the long run, and the digital flat panel display is easier on the eyes than the flicker-prone CRTs.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Monkeymike  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your advice!
I already checked and my local Apple store (Glendale ,CA) has lots of the midrange G4 iMacs in stock. I'm off to go check them out today. May even come home with one.
Thanks again for all your input!

Bye for now

MM

iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

bighill
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 01:59 PM

Hey Monkeymike,
Just curious, what was the original price that you paid for the blueberry
imac???

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: bighill ]
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2002, 03:09 PM

About the keyboard, IMO they feeel better to type on than the Black Pro Keyboards. When Apple released them seperately I got one to replace my old black one.

Monkeymike  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 04:25 PM

Hey Bighill,
I originally paid $1199 for my blueberry iMac DV.

Bye
MM

iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

omarv
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 05:12 PM

I had an iMac DV special edition, and upgraded to the top of the line imac g4, and it has made all the differrence. everything is almost twice as fast, no more freezes, and mac os X blows mac os 9 out of the water. iMovie is unbelievebly fast compared to the old imac. Get the new iMac definitely. Oh and the screen seems alot bigger and sharper than the old iMac.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2002, 12:57 AM

I went from the old blueberry iMac 350mhz with the plain-old CD-ROM to the G4 iceMac recently...and I will never look back. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old dog a lot, but when I was given the faster processor, better graphics card, better design and overall more enjoyable experience, there was no comparison.
The Superdrive is excellent, and it burns soooo much faster than my old Zip 650CD, it's sickening how much less time I wait to burn CD's!
The white keyboard is cool...but, then again, I couldn't care less what color the keyboard and mouse are. I like the optical mouse (I've become very adept at using keyboard shortcuts with it), and the bigger keyboard (as compared to the older, smaller iMac keyboard...remember, my original came with the "puck" mouse!) is better no matter what color...
Go G4...you won't regret it!

brownreese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 07:22 AM

I too have fond memories of my original Bondoni Blue iMac and it will have a second life as it becomes my spouse primary Mac. But the upgrade to the new G4 iMac was worth the wait for me (2.5 weeks--not bad). I find the keyboard a little "mushy" but it took me a while to adapt to my G4 PowerBook as well. If you aren't into digital movie editing, the mid range G4 iMac might be a more affordable option. However, after getting seduced by iMovie--while held hostage for a week with my in-laws on top of a mountain (they called it vacation)--the value of the high end with DVD burning capabilities can't be beat!

Heck, if I had $1000 drop into my lap, I'd probably buy another G4 iMac for my partner.
1984 changed my life

joshy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 04:00 PM

Get the new iMac!!

I never owned a PC at home before, this system is a great way to get started. Importing music is several fold faster than the G3 I had been using at work (which was hooked up to roxio toast 5) and burning is also quicker. Compared to the imac in the lab (3 years old) this computer is quite alot faster, and the screen is noticably larger. Working with power point and other programs that need good resolution for lining figures up, etc. is much easier and soft on the eyes. The CRT displays here at work fade in and out, which really bugs me, but the LCD is clear and steady. Handles the internet fairly well, but I have dial up at home, and ethernet at the lab, so I get spoiled at work!

Overall, this computer rules, and if you don't need DVD authoring, I think the midrange is the best option.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 04:31 PM

if you have the money to get a new G4 iMac do it. i had a 500mhz snow imac with cdrw before i got the new iMac superdrive. besides the fact that it looks sweet and also runs like a dream (not that the other one didn't too)the screen is great and even better when you can adjust it the way you want it and i think the new white keyboard is far better then the old one, only thing about it i don't like is that every piece of dust or lint shows up on it. even worse if you have a black cat like i do..damn cat
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules