Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrade from 10.4.10 Syncserver hogs CPU

Upgrade from 10.4.10 Syncserver hogs CPU
[osX]RTouris
Nov 2, 2007, 06:22 AM

So I did an upgrade of 10.4.10 to 10.5 the other day on a MPB 15'' C2D2.33...

No real issues to note ever since, apart from the occasional incompatibility of certain apps that need to be updated to fully support Leopard, but...

...at the time of launching either iCal or address book (or launch the Dashboard for that matter), syncserver comes up in the processes and loads the CPU to 35-40% in a pattern every 3-4 seconds, which I find rather distracting and peculiar if you ask me since it partially hogs the CPU every now and then when there's other things that need to keep the CPU busy.

I tried several tips i.e. resetting the .mac services etc to no avail. This is quite puzzling and I'm afraid I am running out of ideas..Anyone got a clue as to what's happening here?
( Last edited by [osX]RTouris; Nov 2, 2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: clarified body text)

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Nov 2, 2007, 06:37 AM

Just FYI, "back to my mac" is OFF, as is "Synchronise with .mac"...I only keep my cellular phone in sync (contacts and events) with iSync manually...

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 11:55 AM

I don't have .Mac and I don't see syncserver running as a process on my 10.3 computer. I did find a post that said "perhaps it's related to iCal preferences or connecting to shared calendars that are on a server at my work." You might want to check any applications that do period checks: .Mac settings, email settings (check for new email), iCal settings, your Desktop settings that might change the background every 5 seconds...

To narrow the possibilities, turn off every app that runs at startup (look in the System Preferences->Users->Startup Items and REMOVE them (make a list so you can reinstall them later). You might also have more hidden startup items. Look for files in the folder called /Library/StartupItems (this is what it is called in 10.3 -- and it is the Library folder from the root, not the one in your home directory, or look in both places). If you remove them, be sure to save a copy that preserves the permissions (tar should work).

After you remove all the startup items, you can activate them one at a time to see what causes the problem.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 05:13 AM

Just an update for those who might face a similar issue in the future, I managed to nail it down in the end, turns up it was a widget afterall...and to be specific Harmonic, one that searches for lyrics and pastes them into the song iTunes currently plays. Trial & error

walkerjs
Nov 3, 2007, 08:52 AM

Well, FWIW, syncserver hogs my CPU on Tiger. Doesn't do it all the time, but every now and then I launch iCal, and the fan ramps right up to max. Activity Monitor shows syncserver taking up 99% CPU. At first when this happened I would quit the process, but more recently I just let it crank away while I went and did something else for awhile. It eventually calmed down and iCal and my Macbook sat quietly like it usually is.

Have no idea what it's doing or why, but it eventually stopped doing this. Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Forum Links
Forum Rules