Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NeoOffice vs Office '08

NeoOffice vs Office '08
vvcc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2008, 09:31 PM

I recently bought iWork '08 here in Japan. Although a good program in its own right, I find it too limiting. I'm considering using NeoOffice but have my reservations. I used OpenOffice some years ago but found it to be buggy.
I'm wondering how many of you actually use NeoOffice on a daily basis and if you're happy with it. I'd also like to know if Office '08 is as bad as people say it is.
Thanks for your input.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 10:02 PM

You should also try openoffice - they have a new aqua (natice mac) version.

What do you use it for? What does iWork lack that you need?

Rumor
May 12, 2008, 10:17 PM

I use Office '08 over the current X11 version of Open Office. So far, I haven't had any issues other than the long load time.

Open Office Aqua looks promising, but is currently still in the development stages.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 12, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by vvcc View Post
I'm wondering how many of you actually use NeoOffice on a daily basis and if you're happy with it.
NeoOffice has become my program of choice and it fits my needs but I'm not really a "power user" of office programs. I use the word processor and spreed sheet programs but not really much of the other programs in the suite.

The thing is that with open source programs they are free so I don't see why you are hesitant to at least try them out. A year is a long time in technology so you'll notice that many of the bugs you had in the past should be fixed and the programs themselves have improved. Also unlike paid programs, with open source programs you can contact the developers directly usually through their forums in order to either get your problem fixed in future updates or find a workable solution.

NeoOffice is basically OpenOffice for Mac so there is no waiting for OpenOffice to improve their Aqua programing.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 11:02 PM

JKT
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by vvcc View Post
I recently bought iWork '08 here in Japan. Although a good program in its own right, I find it too limiting. I'm considering using NeoOffice but have my reservations. I used OpenOffice some years ago but found it to be buggy.
I'm wondering how many of you actually use NeoOffice on a daily basis and if you're happy with it. I'd also like to know if Office '08 is as bad as people say it is.
Thanks for your input.
If you stopped using OpenOffice.org because it was buggy then don't touch Office 08 with a barge pole and, yes, it is as bad as people say it is. Slow, a mish-mash of interface conventions for the toolbars (some are standard OS X toolbars, others aren't... you have to use trial and error to work out what you can expect in each app), and worse. I suggest you look at the 'Microsoft' entries at Pierre Igot's Betalogue to see how unbelievably sloppy MBU have been with their coding in Office '08 (btw, he is just as scathing of Apple with the bugs and UI flaws in Pages).

My personal "I can't believe they've been so stupid to have done this" moment was when I noticed that I now have an entry for Entourage Notes in my .Mac synch settings, as well as various other detritus relating to Entouarge scattered over my drives (Automator workflows, Entourage frameworks, Entourage sound sets, etc) when I specifically chose not to install the app.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 08:56 AM

I use OpenOffice.org at work on Windows and Ubuntu, and NeoOffice on my Mac at home.

There is really no reason to use the official OpenOffice.org package on OS X. NeoOffice is mature, stable, and quite a good OS X citizen. I'd say wait until OO.o has a stable release and reaches feature parity with NeoOffice.

On my MacBook with lots of RAM I find that NeoOffice is snappier than Office 2008. I also have iWork '08, and I find that they are just very different animals that complement each other.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 02:35 PM

Office 2008 12.1 update is out and here is the list of bugs that have been fixed:

Description of Office 2008 for Mac Service Pack 1 (12.1.0)

Not many is it

cgc
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 08:46 PM

Openoffice.org V3 Beta has a Mac Aqua interface (like Neo Office). So far I like the beta...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Openoffice.org V3 Beta has a Mac Aqua interface (like Neo Office). So far I like the beta...
Agreed. It's been pretty good to me, and none of the Java eccentricities that the NeoOffice guys have to deal with.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Will
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2008, 06:57 PM

I have to use MS Word 2007 at work on a PC with Windows XP. I am very proficient using it. I use NeoOffice at home on my iMac. I am not as provicient because I don't use it very much so I have to hunt a lot to do what I want.

Through my employer I can get MS Office for Mac '08 for $19.95 plus shipping. I like being finally Microsoft free at home but that is a great price. I think I would be able to be more proficient if the Mac version is the same or similar to the Windows version.

Recommendations welcomed!
Will
* iMac 2.1GHz PowerPC G5 20"
* 2.5 GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM
* 250GB Serial ATA drive

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2008, 07:55 PM

If compatibility with files you share with work is important, or you feel you know the interface better, that's a great deal.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 16, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Will View Post
Through my employer I can get MS Office for Mac '08 for $19.95 plus shipping.
Are you a DoD Employee?

Will
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 12:15 AM

No. State employee
Will
* iMac 2.1GHz PowerPC G5 20"
* 2.5 GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM
* 250GB Serial ATA drive

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post

On my MacBook with lots of RAM I find that NeoOffice is snappier than Office 2008. I also have iWork '08, and I find that they are just very different animals that complement each other.
I just got a MacBook and I installed the OpenOffice Aqua Beta. I haven't used it too much, but it seems decent so far. On my old G4 powerbook, NeoOffice was slow as molasses--maybe it was a memory problem???
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

vvcc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 09:34 PM

Well I gave NeoOffice a try for a couple of weeks and well....
It's free and for that it's a nice office suite to have around IF your not going to be dealing with MS files. After a week and a half of receiving garbled messes of MS files from friends and colleagues, I caved and finally bought Office 2008. After finishing loading 2008, I immediately downloaded the service pack. I haven't had any problems as of yet and can say that it's not the plague that many have made it out to be (I didn't use it before the service pack).
I tried to get away from MS, but it just wasn't possible. I still use iwork '08 for personal use and I'm happy with working within it's limitations.
Thanks for your suggestions. Great forum.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Will View Post
No. State employee
I get same deal as DoD employee purchaser...makes it all worth while

Forum Links
Forum Rules