Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > iCloud Mail suffers extended downtime

iCloud Mail suffers extended downtime
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 11, 2012, 08:26 AM

Some iCloud users have encountered a lengthy downtime for the service's Mail functions, according to complaints and Apple's status monitor. The monitor shows that problems began at about 2:16AM Pacific time, but as of 9:25, troubles are still ongoing. Apple estimates that about 0.17 percent of iCloud users can't reach Mail.

iCloud has been occasionally experiencing minor outages since it debuted last year. Apple will need the service firing on all cylinders in the next few weeks, as the company is expected to announce a new iPhone tomorrow, and may also be prepared to release iOS 6 to the public.

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 08:46 AM

"Apple estimates that about 0.17 percent of iCloud users can't reach Mail."

That's what it says on Apple's Web pages; however, in the discussion threads at Apple, users are reporting Mail is down from everyplace in the world. Take that "0.17%" with a grain of salt.

hayesk
Sep 11, 2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by noibs View Post
That's what it says on Apple's Web pages; however, in the discussion threads at Apple, users are reporting Mail is down from everyplace in the world. Take that "0.17%" with a grain of salt.
Apple didn't say 0.17% of the geographical regions in which it operates. Why can't 0.17% be spread out everywhere in the world. Do you know how Apple distributes email accounts across servers? FYI, my iCloud mail works just fine.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by noibs View Post

Of course the outages will be reported from across the world. iCloud is a global service.
Apple operates the central servers, not the local pipes.

This isn't an outage somewhere in a suburb of Toronto.
This is an outage in one or two of the racks in Apple's server farm.

My email works fine too, btw (I'm in Germany).

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2012, 01:47 PM

I happened to check my email a few times during the "outage" period and can report that it worked fine. I'm inclined to believe Apple's stats that this only affected a relatively small number of users, though of course 0.17 percent of 100 million people is still 170,000 people.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

ReneeneeM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 03:43 PM

Now it says 1.1% so it's getting worse. I haven't been able to get incoming mail since yesterday. When will this be fixed?!!

ASathin8R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2012, 12:18 AM

At 1.1 percent of users affected, including me, and with over 125 million iCloud subscribers as of April 2012, that is between 1 and 1.5 million users affected. I have been waiting on a critical file for the past 24 hours and haven't been able to access my email. How is it that which hundreds of millions less users than Gmail, Apple can manage to have repeated 'low level' outages??

Forum Links
Forum Rules