Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail and Dock problem (not related)

Mail and Dock problem (not related)
MS
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 04:07 PM

I know this is two separate problems, but I thought I would mention both and see if anyone could help.

I will drag an application down to the dock, and it appears, but when I reboot the next day, it is gone. Is there some system preference I need to look into?

Also, my mail.app is not working well. I receive mail, but many times I try to look at an old message the next day, and I can't access it. It's there in my inbox, but I can't click on it.

I've thought about trying Outlook, and just run it in classic. But for some reason, Outlook won't connect to the mail server when it runs in classic.

Anybody? Bueller?

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2001, 07:39 PM

Not sure about the dock thing, but I've been unable to check my mail.mac.com account all day. It's getting slightly annoying. I've only tried it in Mail.app. What about everyone else?

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2001, 05:40 AM

My Mail through the "Mail" app. has been buggy for about 18 hours. I have a cable hookup and Mail is set to check for new mail every 30 minutes (it was set to check at 5 minute intervals before I started getting the error messages). My other accounts (non-iTools) are working just fine.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2001, 09:22 AM

Can't offer any help with the Mail.app issue, but here's a suggestion for keeping an icon in the Dock: First, make sure you drag it from a Finder window that's using Icon view. Then once it's in the Dock, control-click on it and you should get a contextual menu that offers "Leave in Dock" as an option.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

acur128
Jun 15, 2001, 08:28 PM

Just a thought on the mail.app thing... the mac.com IMAP accounts seem to get set up to store messages on the server & cache them locally - whenever I downloaded messages from my mac.com account from Outlook Express in OS 9, & then went back to mail.app in OS X, the cached ghost email remained, but the message was then on my OS 9 disk. The message cache wouldn't get updated until the mailbox was rebuilt (Mailbox menu). Now seems best to have OE5 leave the mac.com messages on the server so they're always available (unless deleted). What you mentioned sounded similar, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
cheers, acur

Forum Links
Forum Rules