Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > AppleScript and the CLI

AppleScript and the CLI
BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2001, 12:57 AM

Ok, I've seached the old posts and they all seem to be about running applescript commands from within the CLI. What I want to know is, how do I run a CLI command from AppleScript? Specifically, I want to be able to rm files that I drop on to the script (I get really tired of the .mov files I watch in the finder becomming permanently "in use"), without having to launch Terminal.

Thanx
BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

acur128
Aug 3, 2001, 01:40 AM

There are 3 Mac OS X scripting additions that will allow execution of UNIX commands from an applescript. Each has a few other functions to assist in generating more useful results for a given set of shell commands, but for simply executing commands, any one of them should do fine.
BTW, in OS X, the additions go in a folder named "ScriptingAdditions" within any of the Library folders.

Forum Links
Forum Rules