Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.04 & ISDN Serial Modem

OS 9.04 & ISDN Serial Modem
ericrkl
Apr 9, 2000, 01:42 AM

Since upgrading to 9.04 my ISDN serial modem (netMod) wont work (Remote Access don't get past ppp "startup"). I also use a Belkin USB-Serial adaptor (no problem here, RA can see the modem & dial OK)

After playing with the new OT extensions, I found that the "offending" part was the PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4. AFter taking it out of the System Folder, I can connect again (even with the new OT extensions).

I'm looking at the RA logs, to see what's happenning here.

puttmutt
Apr 9, 2000, 08:35 AM

Yes, but removing the enabler essentailly takes you back to v9.0, plus or minus a few extensions.. :-) but you should probably trash your modem, ARA, & TCP/IP preferences, reload the enabler, and restart to check the modem's operation. I had to do this with my cable modem after updating to 9.0.4, worked like a charm.......... LOL

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2000, 02:43 PM

interesting, after installing OS 9.04, I couldn't logon to my DSL network. I simply had to reinstall the connection software (called Enter Net) and everything worked fine. Try reinstalling all your necessary stuff and see if it works.

ericrkl
Apr 10, 2000, 02:57 AM

I try the SAME connection using FreePPP and worked fine. Switch back to RA and no go...

ericrkl
Apr 10, 2000, 03:53 AM

Trashed ALL the related preferences (ARA, Modem, TCP/IP and even Open Transport prefs) and still no go.

And FreePPP stills works OK (I wasn't using it because I could not get MLPPP, too bad!)

I have to wait for a "fix"...

dc
Apr 19, 2000, 07:57 PM

I have the same problem of having RA hanging at the "Starting PPP..." point. It does occaisionally connect, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't. I've tried removing PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4, but there was no difference.

I'll have try trashing my preferences and/or FreePPP. But it's pretty diappointing to have upgraded my OS, but downgraded my connectivity.

ericrkl
Apr 19, 2000, 08:40 PM

Sadly, the problem lies with the Belkin F5U103-MAC adaptor. I changed adaptors (mini-i-Dock from New Motion, borrowed from a friend) and WORKED like a charm with 9.04

So. let's mail Belkin and thel them about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules