Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 650--Support for 64 MB SIMMS

Quadra 650--Support for 64 MB SIMMS
sjaptec
Apr 3, 2000, 11:26 AM

When the Q 650 was introduced in late '93 using OS 7.1 there was no listing/support for 64 MB SIMMS? Does anyone know of a way to use them?

Called Apple--the service rep checked--there is no mention if will or won't work.

Thanks!

Brazzo
Apr 14, 2000, 11:24 AM

From prior experience, they work like a champ, as long as they meet the rest of the requirements for Q650 SIMMs.

My old Q650 was maxed out at around 160MB, using two 64MB SIMMs and two 16MB SIMMs...

Hope this helps...

sjaptec
Apr 18, 2000, 10:21 AM

If 64 MB works will 128 MB also work?

What is the max amt of memory that a Q 650 will recognize?

Is it a software limitation (as was the Hard Drive size under OS 7.1 or a hardware limitation (the number of SIMM slots, Motherboard...)?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2000, 08:13 PM

Interesting. I had a 650 but never heard anyone using 64MB SIMM - successfully. The 6100 could. As far as 72-pin SIMMs, has anyone even SEEN a 128MB? System 7 had a limit of 128MB of addressable memory unless VM was on. Some people were able to use a RAM DISK to overcome limit and address more than 128MB (with 512MB installed).

I had QuadDoubler, and though it isn't cost effective, and now Sonnet Presto PPC is available, but a 7500 would be better use of $$$ probably.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules