Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Same library across users?

Same library across users?
typecase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 01:30 AM

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was a way to install DL so that the same library can be imported once and be accessed by all users on same computer? This way if my kids are trying to find out what they can watch, they don't have to use my account. Is this possible?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 07:47 PM

People have accomplished this by using Unix symbolic links, but unfortunately, I haven't tried it myself, so I can't offer any specific advice. Any Unix hackers out there who want to figure it out and post a tutorial?

noddan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

I'll have a look at it tomorrow night and see what I can come up with..
( Last edited by noddan; Jul 4, 2006 at 04:54 PM. )

typecase  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 07:24 PM

Does anybody have any more information on how to symlink delicious library? I'd love to be able to do this.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 06:20 PM

WARNING: The following information is to be used at your own risk. It is not considered safe or advisable and is not supported by Delicious Monster Software. Back up your data before even attempting to think about this. If you mess up your data, we won't be held responsible, and may not even be sympathetic. Unix is dangerous, capricious, and, while not slimy, certainly very sleek due to its scales. Unix has sharp, venomous fangs. Unix, in large quantities on a plane, could be scary, yet hilarious.

Normally Delicious Library uses the Application Support folder in your user folder. If you move the Delicious Library folder into the Application Support folder in the main library, then create a symbolic link to that directory in each user's Application Support folder, different users will share the same library.

After moving the folder, run this from the command line in each user's account.

ln -siv /Library/Application\ Support/Delicious\ Library/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/Delicious\ Library

ajmas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 10:24 PM

Maybe a future solution for would be to have the value changeable in the preference file, even if it manual to start with.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 11:40 PM

Well, sure if you want future solutions...

Of course, pointing Delicious Library to a file in preferences doesn't fix the sharing problem. That's still going to be a lot more complicated.

kciociola
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 11:13 AM

I realize that this is an unsupported solution, but why is it not mentioned along with the other unsupported solution in your Help files?

This would be a great option to add to Library.

In the meantime, we'll be cataloging...EVERYTHING! Thanks for a great app!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 03:07 PM

At this point, we could take the time to update the help files for the current version, but that would take time away from working on Delicious Library 2, which will make the help files obsolete anyway. We've heard loud and clear that people want better documentation, but it's going to have to wait a bit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules