Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Feature idea: Disc Changer Slot Number

Feature idea: Disc Changer Slot Number
ravedog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2006, 05:16 PM

I own DL and the ONE feature I wish were there but isn't (and apparently from the lack of response from the developers, won't be):

Since I have so many DVD's, I dumped them all into the those CD/DVD Folders that hold 200 at a time (I think they are from Case Logic). Each "slot" in the folder and the corresponding DVD gets the same number. Then I used to track them in FileMaker Pro... so i could look up the title and it would tell me the corresponding slot in the folders (yes, I even added the ability to give multi DVD sets their own number). Simple. But unless I wanted to recreate all the wealth of searchable data DM pulls in from the Web, I was pretty limited in FM Pro.

Searching in DM is great: I can search on anything: Title, year, actor, director, etc. Miles ahead of what I did. Problem is that DM doesn't tell me the slot number where I stashed the DVD in my folders. So I wrote the developers a couple times asking what they thought about such a "feature." Never got a reply. It would be the ONE thing that would make DL complete for me.... and that's just the problem... it IS just me.

To ad such a thing to DL, they would need a couple things:
  1. A field asking how many discs come with the title (Default: 1)
  2. A Table That contained two fields: one that was a short descriptor (Disc 1: Movie) and the other field Slot or ID Number (Slot 234)

Then they could offer a printable report that sorted ALPHA by TITLE that incorported the ID number field in the report... if we chose to print such a list (my parents are using my old FM Pro DB for all their DVD's and they keep a copy of the printout inside the sleeve of their first DVD folder).

I thought it was pretty cool - wouldn't be hard to incorporate (I mean this is just a database), and can be used in all sortsa ways (i.e. if someone were to have some sort of ID numbering system... who knows what crazy people do with their belongings). And the best thing about a DB of the DL variety. If you don't need this "feature" you can turn it off... just like alll the other fields in iTunes.

Anybody want to chime in about this?

ngnear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 03:54 AM

Hi Ravedog,

up front I have to say that I have a german version installed so the actual field titles may not correspond exactly. And I have only had it about a couple of weeks so am still filling my library and discovering the possibilities
In the Details frame there is a field "number of items" which gives the number of cd's, DVD's etc belonging to a set stored under one entry. There are also two fields "Series" and "Number in Series" which can be used if each item has it's own entry but belongs to a larger set.
In the "My Info" frame you will find a field in which you can enter the archive position of the item.
You can use this to enter the number you have assigned. You can even sort the view according to this number and print a list corresponding to the contents of your folder.

Play around with these a little I am sure you will find a solution. The only thing you won't get is a printed alphabetical list including the archive position. I am hopeful that the next version will have moe powerful printing options, and according to the title of this thread a new version will appear on November 8th

regards

Tim
Tim

ravedog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 12:23 PM

THanx for the reply - yep its there - called number of media... but its not relational - in otherwords - if you were to put in "7" media... then you would need 7 lines of data that included a TEXT identifier and a Serial ID identifier. Like I said my feature is too abstract and probably not needed by most (and hard to impliment using the exisitng feature set).

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 02:29 AM

Note: I moved this to its own thread because having it on the end of the "Delicious Library coming November 8!" thread from two years ago made it bubble to the top, which was confusing people.

The problem with an autosequential number field is twofold.

First, you don't necessarily want everything numbered, and you don't necessarily want to be forced to follow the numbering scheme Delicious Library assigns. It would, in short, risk being a big pain in the butt if not implemented just right.

Second, it's one of those requests that some people would really like, but most people would be scratching their heads wondering why this feature exists and what the heck they would ever use it for. Not saying we'll never implement something like this, but I think you can see what it has stacked against it.

That said, there is a field for this sort of thing, "Location in Building," under my info. It's alphabetical, not numerical, so you need to use leading zeroes for your numbers to sort right, and for reasons that become clear if you don't do it this way, it helps to include a bit of text, but you can easily edit this to "Slot 001" through "Slot 200" and sort and search to your heart's content.

On a more personal level, I don't know why nobody ever wrote you back about that. Usually when people say we never wrote them back, either they emailed the wrong domain (that pesky hyphen gets them every time) or their spam filter blocks our response because they write to a different address than the one we use to answer them.

We do try to answer every email we get, though. Sorry if yours slipped through.

mgee1038
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 11:14 AM

I used DVDProfiler on my Windows box and it has some really nice features such as customizable reports, SLOT NUMBERS (many people have cd and dvd changers with 100+ slots) this feature would be nice along with some report flexibility. I use the reports to reference the slot number in my Sony changer (400 disks) and then go to the slot to play that movie. I have been looking for a replacement for DVDProfiler for my Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules