Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Series management

Series management
Trejkaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 06:01 AM

Hi all.

A large portion of my collection is manga, so series management is a must.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the series name and number fields are never populated when the book is added (Amazon's fault, I imagine.) Luckily the name isn't a major issue. I can select multiple items and rename the series name all at once. The number is somewhat less convenient. I would rather have some way to auto-number a set of books from 1 to N.

Titles for the volumes in a series are almost always inconsistent within the series too. I am currently at a loss for how to manage this. I could (a) suffer, and type out each one to make them all the same except for the number, (b) leave it alone, or (c) use bulk renaming and omit the number. (c) would actually be good if when an item's title was displayed it also showed the series number.

Finally on a cosmetic note, it would be nice if the series could be stacked together, like my series are on my physical bookshelf. I would almost say to display the cover of volume 1, and the spines of volumes 2 to N. I would also be tempted to say that dragging a new book onto the series should auto-set the series name and number for that book (volumes of a series are generally bought in order, or at the very least read in order. Can't be spoiling the story. ;-))

Anyway at the moment I'm on the fence. I am liking the demo, but this kind of thing along with various other minor issues are preventing me paying $40 for it. $40 in USD is rather a lot of money for an application like this. $40 in AUD might be closer to the mark. :-/

FWIW, the larger of my other minor issues are...
  • Several DVDs in my collection aren't on Amazon at all and thus have to be manually entered. Four out of the first five I scanned weren't there, so I have to assume that either I'm really unlucky with my sampling, or 80% of my collection will need to be manually entered. The best workaround I have is to enter in the title, try to find it in the results and go from there.
  • I would like some way to separate my non-fiction from the fiction, my anime DVDs from my movies, other than by creating new shelves, because even if I put an anime DVD on an Anime shelf, it still ends up in movies, even if it isn't a movie. I would call my collections Anime DVDs and Non-Anime DVDs. And of course anime DVDs would suffer from all the same series problems described above, I imagine. Really I would just rather be able to arbitrarily create new collections up there and leave shelves for those times when you want to mix multiple kinds of media in the one place.
  • Frequent inability for the system to "find" a book which it already has the cover for (and has thus presumably found already.) But I think I read on another post that this is already being addressed, which is great.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 12:26 AM

Sorting is almost always by Series name, series number, then title, so sorting by creator or, for that matter, series, will put your series entries together and in the right order, regardless of the individual volume titles.
You can do searches on Amazon's sites and drag items into Delicious Library from Safari.

Smart shelves should pretty will take the place of custom collections.

Forum Links
Forum Rules