Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update

Software Update
shyne
Apr 15, 2000, 12:36 PM

i've got a G4 400 (AGP) running 9.0.4 (it didn't work with 9.0.2 which it shipped with either) through a Macsense MIH-120 DSL router, and Bell Atlantic DSL service.

auto sw update does not work. and no it's not because of Mac Poet, as the Macsense router handels PPP over Ethernet. SW update checks but it just keeps on checking... and checking and checking. anyone have a clue?

Ster
Apr 15, 2000, 01:20 PM

same thing here, so you're not alone.
at home, i've never gotten it to work: i either get barber poles forever, or it returns a 'no updates' message, when i KNOW there's stuff to be updated
at work, it does a bit better: it sometimes is real quick, but usually is slow as molases
-ster

shyne
Apr 15, 2000, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Ster:
same thing here, so you're not alone.
at home, i've never gotten it to work: i either get barber poles forever, or it returns a 'no updates' message, when i KNOW there's stuff to be updated
-ster
whats your configuration? as far as system, ISP and network? maybe we can narrow down the source of the problem.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2000, 03:18 PM

Apple's Software Update servers have been overloaded for the last few weeks. If you wait long enough, you will be told either that Software Update can't connect or you will be given a list of software updates (if you need any).

shyne
Apr 15, 2000, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
Apple's Software Update servers have been overloaded for the last few weeks. If you wait long enough, you will get a message that says either that Software Update can't connect or you will get a list of software that needs updating (if you have any).
actually, this goes back since before the flurry of recent updates. i have a strong feeling that it is in some way due to bellatlantic.net . but as i do not have any information such as which port SW update uses, or what IP address it is trying to access, or which file of apps and sys files is accessed to tell the SW update server if any updates are relevant to me, i do not have enough info to get anywhere w/ bellatlantic.net support, i've tried.

so, if anyone has any of that info...
i'd appreciate it.

duel
Apr 15, 2000, 08:23 PM

For me, it hangs for a long time, then it quits with an error.

Ster
Apr 15, 2000, 10:19 PM

shyne-
i'm on a lan at the campus of a fairly large university. my job is on the same campus lan, so that eliminates the isp possibility. maybe because i'm old world (beige g3 all-in-one) and everything at work is new world (imac dv and a few g4s)? but i really can't imagine what that would have to do with it. perhaps because i have 2 partitions on my hd? i dunno. the software update cdev is a good idea, but i don't think it's ready for prime time in it's current incarnation.
-ster

DougMac
Apr 16, 2000, 02:45 PM

Have you tried dowloading the new version of Software Update - v1.1.1? I think you need to upgrade to OS 9.0.4 to use it. My old version of Software Update never worked properly - it would just say that no updates were required (or something like that). I just tried the new version this morning, and got a bunch of updates - many of which were available (per the date) when I had tried previously!

FWIW, I'm using an iMac DVSE, OS 9.0.4, and PacBell DSL (PPPoE).

Ster
Apr 17, 2000, 09:17 AM

fwiw, i've got all the updates, retrieved the old-fashioned way: software update updater, 9.0.4, opengl, mrj, stuffit engine, and a few others i can't remember off hand. believe me, my software is up to date, so that's not the problem, either.
-ster

Forum Links
Forum Rules