Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4/14-inch screen quality

G4/14-inch screen quality
adamjh
Nov 5, 2003, 03:12 PM

Can any new iBook/G4/14-inch owners comment on the quality of the screen brightness, sharpness etc.? Also, what is the real benefit of the 14-inch over the 12-inch considering they have the same resolution? Is it better for DVDs and Games? Thanks for the info.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 03:16 PM

at the moment the 14"ers are faster and the screen, though the same res, makes you squint less. not to mention that if you like to watch movies fullscreen, you can make sense of it from farther away.

all televisions (mostly) have the same res. just something to think about

adamjh  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 08:14 PM

O.K., but does less squint mean less sharp, or is the 14er still pretty damn sharp?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by adamjh:
O.K., but does less squint mean less sharp, or is the 14er still pretty damn sharp?
its plenty sharp. you WILL NOT be disappionted. its fine.

drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by adamjh:
Can any new iBook/G4/14-inch owners comment on the quality of the screen brightness, sharpness etc.? Also, what is the real benefit of the 14-inch over the 12-inch considering they have the same resolution? Is it better for DVDs and Games? Thanks for the info.
I just received my 14" ibook on tuesday and the screen looks great to me. Games look great and dvd's look awesome!!!!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 09:45 PM

The main benefits to the 14" model as of now are speed (133 or 200 MHz more), a larger hard disk in the stock configuration, and easier viewing from a distance. The 14" technically has a higher-capacity battery but is listed by Apple as getting the same amount of battery life as the 12" model.

My preference is for the 12" system. The dots-per-inch makes it look sharper, it's more portable, and you don't lose battery life.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 12:43 PM

Text appears sharper on the 12". You should find a store with both models on display and compare the same "read me" on each model--you'll see what I mean. If you read a lot of documents you'll get less eye fatigue on the 12", provided your eyes are comfortable with the text resolution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules