Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Order now,or wait ?

Order now,or wait ?
drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 10:11 PM

Really would love to order my Macbook pro now. I'm looking at the 15" 2.16 ghz. with an upgraded 7200 rpm 100 g drive. It is not really a matter of need but want.
I've been reading about all of the problems people have been having and it seems like the issues with the pro have thinned out while more problems seem to be popping up in the blackbooks. Does it seem like maybe the newest builds of the Pros are getting better ? I know some issues will still arise and it doesn't seem like the heat problem will go away without any major changes. I guess my real question is, what chance that another update would happen in August when the new Intel processors come out ? I could wait till August (maybe) to buy. But, it would suck to wait then no upgrades. It would suck evenmore to wait till August with no upgrade and buy, then in say October the upgrades come. So I could either buy now or possibly wait up to 4 or 5 months for Rev.B ?!?!
Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Thoughts anyone ???

gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 01:33 AM

I would wait for the intel duo core 2 64bit cpu mbp (it should be coming out soon not too sure though). And if it's a desktop replacement I would get the 17inch. I have the 15inch mbp 2.0ghz 256vram, but if I knew the 64bit duo to come out so soon I would of waited.

snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by drlaine
Really would love to order my Macbook pro now. I'm looking at the 15" 2.16 ghz. with an upgraded 7200 rpm 100 g drive. It is not really a matter of need but want.
I've been reading about all of the problems people have been having and it seems like the issues with the pro have thinned out while more problems seem to be popping up in the blackbooks. Does it seem like maybe the newest builds of the Pros are getting better ? I know some issues will still arise and it doesn't seem like the heat problem will go away without any major changes. I guess my real question is, what chance that another update would happen in August when the new Intel processors come out ? I could wait till August (maybe) to buy. But, it would suck to wait then no upgrades. It would suck evenmore to wait till August with no upgrade and buy, then in say October the upgrades come. So I could either buy now or possibly wait up to 4 or 5 months for Rev.B ?!?!
Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Thoughts anyone ???
I was in the same boat you're in, but bit the bullet last week, got the same spec machine you outline in your post. My PB was stolen back in Feb. and have been using a work PB up until last week. It's really nice to have my own home machine again. I've been using it for the last two days now and the only noticable issue I have currently is heat. It definitely seems warmer than my last PB but I understand that smaller machine + faster processor + faster HD = hotter machine. My advice is if the machine has what you want, get it, if you continue to wait you'll never buy one.
15" 1.5ghz Al-Book 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, SuperDrive, 1.5G RAM

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by drlaine
Really would love to order my Macbook pro now. I'm looking at the 15" 2.16 ghz. with an upgraded 7200 rpm 100 g drive. It is not really a matter of need but want. Thoughts anyone ???
If you can wait, then I suggest you wait until they work out some of the bugs. Heat & whine.....
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2006, 11:58 AM

The only time I put of these purchases is if the time frame to the expected upgrade is short and I can afford to wait.

Personally, I have a 15" 1.67 G4 PB, so I figure I can afford to wait the couple of months to WWDC, or even to MacWorld January if I feel like it.

Really want an Intel machine, though

Forum Links
Forum Rules