Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macmall experience anyone ??

Macmall experience anyone ??
drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 10:23 PM

I'm looking at ordering the black macbook from there. It goes for $1494 and they will install 2g of ram for like $250. It also comes with a $100 mail in rebate taking the cost of the system down to $1394. Anyone have any opinions on them or their rebates?

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 12:42 AM

You can check them out on http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1554.html

Doesn't look to promising to me...

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2006, 01:46 AM

HAH.... i remember them..... I used to get catalogs from them, month after month..... next to my MacWorld magazines and school books, those were the only other things i read, back in the day!

I had my dad order a clock-chip accelerator from them for my Power Mac 6100 back in the mid-1990's. It never came in. After calling them up, it turns out that we never made the order in the first place...... what the ...

Avoid them.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 04:06 AM

drlaine, I would cautious about the quality of RAM they're putting in there. You can get a similar, if perhaps slightly more expensive, deal from other known quality brands yourself after buying one.

drlaine  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by cycloneguy2618
You can check them out on http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1554.html

Doesn't look to promising to me...
Wow! Thanks for the link. Glad I checked here before I bought. Not promising at all!!!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
HAH.... i remember them..... I used to get catalogs from them, month after month..... next to my MacWorld magazines and school books, those were the only other things i read, back in the day!

I had my dad order a clock-chip accelerator from them for my Power Mac 6100 back in the mid-1990's. It never came in. After calling them up, it turns out that we never made the order in the first place...... what the ...

Avoid them.

Exactly the same thing happened to me.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Exactly the same thing happened to me.
Many years ago, I had a similar experience with MacMall, and after spending months trying to get it resolved (including filing a complaint with the BBB, which turned out to be totally worthless) I never bought from them again, and convinced several others with business purchasing accounts to do the same.

I've had very good experiences with SmallDog, MacConnection, and OWC. Stay away from MacMall at all costs.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

mrufrufin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 12:21 PM

exactly. Macmall sucks. i dealt with them a couple of weeks ago when i was trying to buy a macbook (for the sake of their 50-buck rebate) and i found two things:
1. They are not honest with their stock status. For example, after a few phonecalls with their sales i knew that their next shipment of macbooks would not be coming in until at least 1 week from then. But on their website, the availability of Macbooks were still "ships in 1-3 days".
2. i had a slight problem with my credit card because of the shipping address. I called them up and got it fixed, but a few days later, i found that my credit card had a pending charge of double amount of the money that i was supposed to pay for the order.

Finally i found Macconnection had the macbook available (and they had a $50 rebate too) before the next shipment to Macmall came in so i immediately cancel the macmall order. just couldn't stand them anymore.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 10:08 AM

for me, always been fine.
i've gotten my powerbooks (and one mac mini setup, for my parents), thru macmall.
plus a lot of periphs (ext. drives, etc).

have developed a good relationship with the salesperson, and am happy.
have referred friends to her, and seems to work out ok.

guess your mileage may vary...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 12:22 PM

I didn't have any problems with MacMall, except that their site said shipping 1-3 days, and it was more like a week.

But Amazon said shipping July 21st, and started shipping them within a week. How could someone know that?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 12:26 PM

Wow, I'm glad this thread came to be. I was thinking about using MacMall to buy my MB since they are the only vendor I could find that would install BootCamp and XP Pro for less then the retail price of XP Pro.

Anyone know of other retailers bundling XP Pro with MacBooks?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by drlaine
I'm looking at ordering the black macbook from there. It goes for $1494 and they will install 2g of ram for like $250. It also comes with a $100 mail in rebate taking the cost of the system down to $1394. Anyone have any opinions on them or their rebates?
I ordered mine from MacMall and had no problems... I havent received my mail in rebate yet though.
27" iMac C2D

Lizard7
Jun 14, 2006, 08:12 PM

Macmall will refuse to replace any DOA apple computers-- if you have any issues with the product they are awful to deal with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules