Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Both VPN and Internet Sharing cut me off from Net

Both VPN and Internet Sharing cut me off from Net
Preciousss
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 11:47 PM

OK, title says it all. Here's my system info:

TiBook, 1GHz, SuperDrive, clean install of 10.3.5 (still haven't installed the 9-7-04 update).

I tried Internet Sharing over Airport with an iBook (we were able to do this before using 10.2.8). But as sooon as I turned it on, my Internet access was cut off. Turning it off and access came back on again.

I'm connecting to a VPN at my new job via PPTP (never done this before!). I know this works becuase I tested it with the IT guy next to me, who connected me to a router outside of our firewall to make it work while in the office. So I get home, and the same thing happens, I connect no problem, but my Internet access is shot. On top of this, I can't browse the server at work.

The Network status in the Network control pane said, interestingly enough, that I was connected to the Internet via VPN, and not through Airport (though the little status symbol was a green circle next to both VPN and Airport).

I tried turning OSX's firewall off to see if that would allow the VPN to work. No good.

Any idea what's going on:

1.) With my internet connection getting cut off in both situations?

2.) With not being able to see the server files over VPN, even though it says I'm connected?

Thanks.

Preciousss  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 04:13 PM

Talking to myself, but in case anybody else was wondering what the solution was, I found this on the Apple forums:

The idea of a VPN is to extend the office into your home and only company traffic should be allowed. If you split the traffic so that some goes over the VPN and some goes out to the Internet then there is potentially a route for a cracker to get into your companies network, and most companies don't like this.

Translation? This is how it's meant to work, which I can dig. But this still doesn't address why I can't even browse my work server when connected to VPN from home.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 06:51 PM

it may well be a work side configuration issue, in which case no one here would be able to come up with advice by definition. fwiw my pptp vpn connection always worked fine, connecting to a windows server 2003 box. but then again, i was the one who set up pptp on said windows server...

Forum Links
Forum Rules