Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Unable to control via Tiger Apple Remote Desktop/VNC

Unable to control via Tiger Apple Remote Desktop/VNC
Preciousss
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 08:41 PM

My friend and I made some progress in connecting me to her Mac via VNC, but we're still getting some baffling errors. Here's the setup:

On her end
1) We administered her modem to forward port 5900 to her internal IP address (confirmed we were using the right one). Here are the stats on her modem:

Wirespeed Dual Connect
Model # b90-210030-04s2
Software version: 1.06.64 (or 01.06.04)

I had to find a manual online to walk her through it, but the screenshots were slightly different from what she described was on her screen, so I'm wondering if there was a small detail we missed in this part.

2) On her Mac mini (10.4.3) we went to System Prefs > Sharing, and enabled Apple Remote Desktop, checked all the boxes in Access Privileges (Generate reports, Control and observe, etc.).

3) We selected the checkbox that allows users to control via VNC and assigned a password for this.

4) Turned off her OSX firewall just to simplify things.

On my end
1) I have Chicken of the VNC on my TiBook (10.3.9) pointed to her router's IP.

2) Entered the password we assigned.

3) Turned off my firewall for good measure.

Error Message - Chicken
When I try to connect, I get the following message:

"Please configure Apple Remote Desktop to allow VNC Viewers to control the screen.
Unknown authType 30,31,32

Variables - Chicken
1) Appended :5900 at the end of her router IP in the Host name field. Also tried :5901

2) Changed Display field from 0 to 1. Still no good.

Error message - On her end
We found the following url that tells you the IP address of the computer from which you are browsing and also whether or not a VNC Server is contactable at that address:

http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/nettest.cgi

She got the following message when she ran this test:

The IP address requesting this web page is xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (this was right)
Connecting to port 5900 ... succeeded.
Waiting for server to send version string...
Unknown server ( RFB 003.889 )

No idea what this error means or how to fix it.

To make sure this test really worked, I opened OSXvnc on my end and was told that everything checked out fine. I'm not sure why we can't get it to work for her with Tiger's built-in VNC server.

I suspect that we messed up when we set up port forwarding on her router, given I was working off of an old manual.

Potential Variables
1) I found what looked to be the right manual this afternoon, and it said to forward ports 5500, 5800 and 5900, not just 5900.

2) Last resort: get her to download OSXvnc and just try that instead, though I really want to stick with her built-in Tiger VNC server. Just seems cleaner and potentially faster that way.

I'm aware about VNC not being secure and the recommendation to do it via SSH, but I just want to get this to work first, before attempting to annoy her with even more stuff. :-)

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks all!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 09:18 PM

Just a guess, but also try enabling port 3283 TCP as well since that's what ARD actually uses.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Preciousss  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
Just a guess, but also try enabling port 3283 TCP as well since that's what ARD actually uses.

Cheers.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I had her download OSXvnc last night and it worked!

Still curious as to why Tiger's built-in VNC server didn't work though. For some crazy reason, it seems preferable to use that instead of a third party application. Though I've heard varying comparisons between the two (many seem to think OSXvnc is better).

In any case, I'll have to satisfy my curiosity for this answer with another friend. I think this one has lost patience with how much time this took to get working. :-)

Next step: trying to connect to her via VNC using SSH. I may post back here if we have trouble with this.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 04:07 PM

Odd, I went home and started playing around with the VNC server setup and now I've shut myself out from work.

I did notice some inconsistencies going between a 10.4.2 (desktop) and 10.4.3 (laptop) machine even though both were configured the same and using the latest version of COTVNC.

Now I'll have to take a closer look...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules