Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Black Screen

Pismo Black Screen
bigcrabtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 10:02 PM

My pismo 400 fan doesn't sound like it ever comes on too. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm wondering because i'm trying to find out what is causing my pismo's to randomly go black. You can see it still on, like the brightness has been turned all the way down - because you can still see the image very very VERY dimly. And you can see it trying to refresh - screen becoming black from the top and bottom to the middle. A BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH??

Kind of a weird thing that has just started happening to me and my pismo. I can't trace whether this is a Panther issue. I haven't seen anything about this being an issue, yet.

anyone know what might be going on here? Everytime this happens i have to press the reset button on the rear. Another weird random thing that happens is after it restarts and the log-in screen comes up, the screen will go black.

hope someone has run into this problem and knows a fix.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2003, 04:23 AM

So, you can see a faint image, but it's all dark? Is it simply that the backlight is off?

tooki

Xestrel
Dec 26, 2003, 08:58 AM

a I've experienced this screen-goes-black problem with my Pismo and panther (a 400 Mhz w/ a 500 MHz G4 upgrade.) It seems that some things caused this to happen more than others - like usually when i put the computer to sleep after diconnecting a peripheral or the power supply. If I avoid doing that, I tend to not have the screen go black. I don't really have another solution other than that, sadly.

-Xest

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2003, 02:32 PM

that happened to me once, but i wasn't plugged into the ac. then it happened again, so i popped off the keyboard, and the plastic thing that holds the power button and the led light (where the display inverter is) and (i know this is really stupid and not safe) touched a piece of metal to the chip - then it went completely black, so i touched the other side of the board and it lit up full.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Forum Links
Forum Rules