Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Gaining in F@H!!

Gaining in F@H!!
OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 11:01 AM

I just knocked off CobraMac for the number 5 position in "Top 30 Power" ratings! Wow! I thought that those guys were immovable! I think that I might be able to take the number 4 spot and move Mikkyo down a notch, but from there on up those guys are pushing some awesome farm power!

If I could just get F@H to work through my firewall at work like dFold does, then maybe....

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 05:28 PM

Dont know what happend but Cobramac has had his production cut in half the last few months, he was pushing 4500 a week

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by The Raven:
Dont know what happend but Cobramac has had his production cut in half the last few months, he was pushing 4500 a week
I spoke too soon anyway. I had a hard drive in my fastest system, a Barton XP 3200+ overclocked to 2.5 GHZ, go down today. That one computer was pumping out as many as 2 or 3 of my other systems in most days.

CobraMac has already re-passed me...

jbcool
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
I just knocked off CobraMac for the number 5 position in "Top 30 Power" ratings! Wow! I thought that those guys were immovable! I think that I might be able to take the number 4 spot and move Mikkyo down a notch, but from there on up those guys are pushing some awesome farm power!

If I could just get F@H to work through my firewall at work like dFold does, then maybe....
OneMacGuy your going to wake the big dogs up and they aren't going to mess with us little dogs. CobraMac and Mikkyo are the two that you don't mess with on this team. I'm thinking that Raven and Scotttheking are also other ones that you don't want to poke at with a small stick.

Sorry to hear about the motherboard/cpu dropping out this week.
I had another one go down this week. That makes (4) motherboards, (2) memory sticks that I have lost this year. Just my luck I gave (5) motherboards and cpus away this week.
Tag ur it.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by jbcool:
OneMacGuy your going to wake the big dogs up and they aren't going to mess with us little dogs. CobraMac and Mikkyo are the two that you don't mess with on this team. I'm thinking that Raven and Scotttheking are also other ones that you don't want to poke at with a small stick.

Sorry to hear about the motherboard/cpu dropping out this week.
I had another one go down this week. That makes (4) motherboards, (2) memory sticks that I have lost this year. Just my luck I gave (5) motherboards and cpus away this week.
Raven is actually number 1 in power in both dFold and F@H! Pretty amazing. I have moved everything that I can move over to F@H, but I have some machines at work that I cannot get to communicate through our firewall to F@H, but they work fine with dFold. Not much more I can do except go buy some more CPU upgrades for the kids computers! They must all surely need those Athlon XP 3000+ plus CPU's to do their homework.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 02:24 PM

I have moved everything that I can move over to F@H, but I have some machines at work that I cannot get to communicate through our firewall to F@H, but they work fine with dFold.
I get the same situation as well at work. dfold ok through the firewall but not F@H.

Hey, jbcool, the #5 spot is all yours. I've been running my mini-farm 24/7 for months now. Since it lives in my bedroom I've gotten to the point where the noise is driving me insane. Had to shut down the PC's or go postal. And the crazy electricity bill doesn't help. Since the Mac is the main machine I'm going to leave the client running there so I'm not going completely offline.

Ack! I hate this backwards slide I'm going to take. Unfortunately I don't have a spare bathroom to throw the comps into.

serpico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 07:24 PM

ever hear of a living room?
Those of you who think you
know everything
are beginning to annoy those of
us who do.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2003, 10:29 PM

My flight landed 1.5 hrs ago, and the farm is now back online.
There was a power outage here the night I left.
I can't let myself be run over by Raven!
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
My flight landed 1.5 hrs ago, and the farm is now back online.
There was a power outage here the night I left.
I can't let myself be run over by Raven!
Welcome back, hope the trip was great

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 02:37 PM

Raven is actually number 1 in power in both dFold and F@H! Pretty amazing. I have moved everything that I can move over to F@H, but I have some machines at work that I cannot get to communicate through our firewall to F@H, but they work fine with dFold. Not much more I can do except go buy some more CPU upgrades for the kids computers! They must all surely need those Athlon XP 3000+ plus CPU's to do their homework.
I will be moving the rest of the boxes to FAH when I have a little time to kill , then you can be king of dFold

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 03:16 PM

Cobramac moved a bunch of his machines off F@H to dfold when the new client came out.
That is why you don't see the giant production in F@H.
Me, I'm sleeping, but not as much as macgeek4u, with, oh 80GHz idle.
I bug him daily but he is too busy with work to do anything crazy like setting up F@H on that many machines.

On another note,
Code:
[16:48:03] Protein: p912_vill_o [16:48:03] [16:48:03] Writing local files [16:48:09] Testing CPU type... [16:48:09] Done testing. [16:48:09] Extra AltiVec boost OK. [16:48:10] Writing local files [16:48:10] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0) [16:48:14] Quit 101 - Fatal error: [16:48:14] Step 0, time 0 (ps) LINCS WARNING [16:48:14] relative constraint deviation after LINCS: [16:48:14] max 0.000793 (between atoms 143 and 145) rms 0.000069 [16:48:14] [16:48:14] Simulation instability has been encountered. The run has entered a [16:48:14] state from which no further progress can be made. [16:48:14] If you often see other project units terminating early like this [16:48:14] too, you may wish to check the stability of your computer (issues [16:48:14] such as high temperature, overclocking, etc.).
Folding @ Home does not like G5�s.
This is no doubt due to the difference in the Altivec units. It will run without advmethods (thereby allowing it to not use Altivec).
On protein 638 it does about 1 frame every 9 minutes without advmethods.
Looks like we need a recompile/redesign of F@H client to see real power on G5s.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Cobramac moved a bunch of his machines off F@H to dfold when the new client came out.
I bug him daily but he is too busy with work to do anything crazy like setting up F@H on that many machines.
Cobramac has had no prodution in dFold for a few weeks. as for macgeek4u maybe we need to write a script to make it a lot faster for him

We could use that production

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 07:50 PM

On another note,
Code:
[16:48:03] Protein: p912_vill_o [16:48:03] [16:48:03] Writing local files [16:48:09] Testing CPU type... [16:48:09] Done testing. [16:48:09] Extra AltiVec boost OK. [16:48:10] Writing local files [16:48:10] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0) [16:48:14] Quit 101 - Fatal error: [16:48:14] Step 0, time 0 (ps) LINCS WARNING [16:48:14] relative constraint deviation after LINCS: [16:48:14] max 0.000793 (between atoms 143 and 145) rms 0.000069 [16:48:14] [16:48:14] Simulation instability has been encountered. The run has entered a [16:48:14] state from which no further progress can be made. [16:48:14] If you often see other project units terminating early like this [16:48:14] too, you may wish to check the stability of your computer (issues [16:48:14] such as high temperature, overclocking, etc.).
This is no doubt due to the difference in the Altivec units. It will run without advmethods (thereby allowing it to not use Altivec).
Although Gromacs apparently is not compatible, it would be interesting to see how Tinker WUs work with the new CPU since they're rather floating point intensive and IBM's fp unit is quite a bit better than Motorola's.
folding@home is good for you.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 11:29 PM

Be sure to share that with the folks over at the F@H forum. Maybe Adam can tweak it a little or perhaps the new compiler will help.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2003, 12:16 AM

Hey Shaktia are you going to join us in FAH. We are gaining on a few teams and could use all the prodution we can get.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 12:27 AM

Hey Shaktia are you going to join us in FAH. We are gaining on a few teams and could use all the prodution we can get.
Right now I am involved in helping to beta test the new TSC/D2OL client for the Mac and Linux. (they got plenty of windows testers). Probably be on that for the next week or two. I've been thinking about it though for after. Just have to wait and see how it goes.

jbcool
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Right now I am involved in helping to beta test the new TSC/D2OL client for the Mac and Linux. (they got plenty of windows testers). Probably be on that for the next week or two. I've been thinking about it though for after. Just have to wait and see how it goes.
Now that I am finally ahead of you in F@H and d-fold I would come over to D2OL and get ahead of you buy I can't remember my user information. Lucky U.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by jbcool:
Now that I am finally ahead of you in F@H and d-fold I would come over to D2OL and get ahead of you buy I can't remember my user information. Lucky U.
Well, I wouldn't be much competition at the moment with over half my power on the beta test right now. It is going so well though, that unless we break something in the new server setup, the new client and server system should go prime time before long.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2003, 02:53 AM

I can't seem to stay competitive with any of you big folks.
There's a problem with f@h and AMD CPUs, and it's biting me quite badly.
I just don't have time to monitor machines, so I'm going to let my production fall, and worry about this stuff on the weekend.
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 03:28 PM

I am confused about why my stats page for Folding@Home says that I was last active 11 hours ago. I have about 6 or 7 computers running Folding@Home and this seems a little strange to me that I should go that long between any of them uploading a work unit. Is this normal? DO I have some setting that needs to be tweaked to change the upload frequency?

Also, I do not understand the "Attend" column. For example Enola has 100% and I have 26%. I am averaging 275 points per day and he is averaging 81. He has not turned in any work in 1.1 days and I have not in 11 hours. (I do not mean to pick on Enola, just used him as an example!) How does it calculate that his "Attend" score is 100% and mine is 26%? (I assume that "Attend" is Attendance?) What does this really measure?

Thanx!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2003, 04:35 PM

enola = she
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 05:42 PM

enola = she
ooooppsss!

sorry!

jbcool
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 02:40 PM

ooooppsss!

sorry!
Don't fell bad, I did it too. She corrected me right nice. It was her brother that gave me a beathing. Took months to recover from that beating.

Enola you get to stay ahead I'm out of here for a while. Want to see if I still have a home.

Later gang.
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 03:41 PM

I am confused about why my stats page for Folding@Home says that I was last active 11 hours ago. I have about 6 or 7 computers running Folding@Home and this seems a little strange to me that I should go that long between any of them uploading a work unit. Is this normal?
This is completely normal.
F@H WUs take anywhere from a few hours to several days.
At any given time, all your machines could be dumping, or working or any combo in between.
Some days I do maybe 80 points of work, only to hit 700 the next day.

You should set up a monitoring app to watch your machines.
Then you can see which is where in the dump process.

This is also why some folks think they are so cool to have beaten others in daily production, only to discover the next day they are 300 units behind.

As to the attendance thing, I don't get that either.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 10:35 PM

ooooppsss!

sorry!
Thanks, Scott. No problem, OneMacGuy. jbcool, moving again?

I don't know why but I've been getting a lot of Tinker units lately. I forgot how long they take to complete compared to Gromacs.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2003, 11:36 PM

Finally had a 1000 points in 24 hours
I know a some of you can do it to

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2003, 01:14 AM

Mikkyo, can you try f@h again on the G5 to make sure it wasn't just that WU?
Also, keep up the prodding of macgeek4u. He doesn't have to add every machine at once.

Looks like I'm about 50 days from being pushed back to #3. Oh well. Raven, I'll make you work for it.

jbcool, I hope you come back soon.

BTW, the opteron isn't too bad on f@h. On a 1.8GHz opteron, f@h can do 75-90 points per day in gromacs. And that's just the 32bit version with no tweaks for AMD64. The test was pretty rough, hence the high point spread. OS was linux, with the windows version of f@h running in wine.
My website

reader50
Administrator
Sep 1, 2003, 11:58 AM

I am confused about why my stats page for Folding@Home says that I was last active 11 hours ago. I have about 6 or 7 computers running Folding@Home and this seems a little strange to me that I should go that long between any of them uploading a work unit. Is this normal? DO I have some setting that needs to be tweaked to change the upload frequency?

Also, I do not understand the "Attend" column. For example Enola has 100% and I have 26%. I am averaging 275 points per day and he is averaging 81. He has not turned in any work in 1.1 days and I have not in 11 hours. (I do not mean to pick on Enola, just used him as an example!) How does it calculate that his "Attend" score is 100% and mine is 26%? (I assume that "Attend" is Attendance?) What does this really measure?

Thanx!
Stanford also has a habit of erratic credit updates. An uploaded unit may be credited right away, or many hours later.

Attendance = Days during which a unit was returned / During the Base time period.
Base time period = Time since you joined that team project, or 100 days, whichever is shorter.

A person who joined 20 days ago and returned something every day would have 100%. Someone who joined 100 days ago, crunched a few test units, but started crunching regularly only a month ago might have an Attendance of 40%. This stat was created to measure project activity on an individual basis regardless of farm size.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 1, 2003, 03:54 PM

Ah ha!
So if you are working on the big WUs that take a couple of days, you lose your attendance percentage since you didn't return any units during a 24 hour period.
Maybe attendance should be based on the number of processors returning units in a week, which is part of the F@H stats page?
If your processor count drops to zero for a week you would lose some attendance over the number of weeks you've been folding.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 1, 2003, 09:11 PM

Both the time period checked and the max number of periods to average can be adjusted on a per-project basis. I've been leaving them on 24-hours / 100 max to average for all projects. Perhaps 72-hours / 33 max would be better for Folding@home.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2003, 04:19 PM

cobramac did too!
I see third place in my future.
My website

The Raven
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2003, 04:43 PM

cobramac did too!
I see third place in my future.
Cobramac had a huge day
It will probaby be a bit before I can even make make a move to pass you. My production will drop a little in the next few weeks.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 09:44 PM

Cobramac had a huge day
It will probaby be a bit before I can even make make a move to pass you. My production will drop a little in the next few weeks.
Man, I'd day! When I checked this, 9:42 PM EST, he had over 1200! Has he been sandbagging like Scott did before his birthday or is he ramping up? WOW!!! I am jealous!

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 10:07 PM

I think we figured out how to get the G5(s) to work.

If you launch with -config and edit the advanced settings you can turn on disable highly optimized assembly code, which seems to make Gromacs not come and hang all your clients.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 10:34 PM

If you launch with -config and edit the advanced settings you can turn on disable highly optimized assembly code, which seems to make Gromacs not come and hang all your clients.

Just curious what kind of performance it gives, or is it too early to know. (and yes I realize that nothing is optimized for it yet).

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2003, 01:17 AM

That disables the altivec code.
Now that it's confirmed that it's gromacs and the g5, we need to prod the fah folks to get a g5 version out.

Can you do some performance benchmarks of gromacs (without altivec) and tinker WU?

OneMacGuy, it's pretty hard to sandbag in f@h. I did it in DF. I think he's ramping!
My website

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 04:33 PM

On protein 680, which is a Tinker,
the 1.6GHz G5 does about 8 minutes/frame.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2003, 05:18 PM

So almost 32 points per day. Much better then the G4. I hope we can get some gromacs results soon.
I wonder how well it would perform compiled with XLC.

mikkyo, can you go to the fah forum and post about the g5 not working with optimized gromacs?
My website

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 08:05 PM

Thanks mikkyo! That is pretty impressive for a client that isn't optimized running on an OS that isn't optimized. Almost 32 points per day is a whole lot more then my PowerMac800 which would only do 7-8 points per day on a similar Tinker core. Heck that is faster on a tinker then my 800 was on gromacs where it would only do about 11-12 per day.

I wonder how it would do if as Scott says, they used the IBM compiler or for that matter even gcc3.3. (and we can only wait to see what Panther brings).

jbcool
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by enola:
Thanks, Scott. No problem, OneMacGuy. jbcool, moving again?

I don't know why but I've been getting a lot of Tinker units lately. I forgot how long they take to complete compared to Gromacs.
Yep. Went home for a week of much needed rest so I could work all week long, only to get a call that next week is the last week of work. YEA!!!!!!!!!!! So the crystal ball says it sees me moving.

I will be around for a few more weeks. Winter at home again. Good thing I have lots of computers to keep me warm.

I may vanish for a while as I have lots of people to see and places to go before I start back to work.

Maybe I need to "Get a haircut and a real job."

Man a hate looking for a new job, it means I have to meet new people and make more friends, life just isn't fair.
Tag ur it.

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 11:25 PM

I can't believe that I just looked and I made 670 or points in the last 24 hours! WOW, I wonder how I did that? I hope I can keep it up! Really, I have no idea how such a big leap came about, but I am VERY happy to see those numbers!!!!

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 10:38 PM

So almost 32 points per day. Much better then the G4. I hope we can get some gromacs results soon.
I wonder how well it would perform compiled with XLC.

mikkyo, can you go to the fah forum and post about the g5 not working with optimized gromacs?
I would imagine that the IBM compilers could help Tinker and Gromacs quite a bit but especially Tinker since Macintosh-based FORTRAN compilers are particularly weak.
folding@home is good for you.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 8, 2003, 04:20 PM

The Developer Tools released at WWDC includes support for gcc-3.3 and can be installed on 10.2.x.
So many folks have been making gcc-3.3 versions of software for awhile.
I'm note sure if there is any benefit to IBM's compiler, but hopefully someone on the various projects will do some testing of it.

As to OneMacGuy's drop, this is the nature of F@H, all your machines run at different rates and work on different cores, so at some point, you should get a 0 point day and at some point a max point drop day when all of your machines happen to dump on the same day.

Cobramac says the G5 still picks up gromacs cores on occasion even without advmethods, forceasm, and with the highly optimized assembly code option set to no.
It sure would be nice if there were some way to not get gromacs. :-(

Someone else should post over on F@H forums if they are so inclined.
Cobramac is too busy to even post here, and pissed that F@H can't keep running wihtout user intervention.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2003, 06:50 PM

Cobramac says the G5 still picks up gromacs cores on occasion even without advmethods, forceasm, and with the highly optimized assembly code option set to no.
It sure would be nice if there were some way to not get gromacs. :-(

Someone else should post over on F@H forums if they are so inclined.
Cobramac is too busy to even post here, and pissed that F@H can't keep running wihtout user intervention.
Posted. It will also be nice to get fah recompiled with XLC/XLF (whichever it needs).
My website

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 12:53 AM

Well Vijay has already posted that he will have Eric look into it.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2003, 01:55 AM

I think they forgot to look into it.
It's taking an awfully long time.

I see a Raven coming up very fast behind me. I do hope that I have some time tomorrow to repair my farm.
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2003, 11:47 PM

Production is still looking good.
Tomorrow should see a nice little jump *mutters bad things at the 4 xp 2000 and higher systems that all decided to go on vacation.
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 08:14 AM

Production is still looking good.
Tomorrow should see a nice little jump *mutters bad things at the 4 xp 2000 and higher systems that all decided to go on vacation.
I sure wish I could get F@Home to work behind my firewall at work! I just put 3 XP3200 machines (overclocked to 2.46 GHz) on dFold there yesterday because of that stupid firewall! Well at least Raven will lose his spot as number one producer in dFold if I can keep them there and run the other two I am building on dFold also!! Boy, would I love to see those 5 CPU's running F@Home!!!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2003, 02:37 PM

I sure wish I could get F@Home to work behind my firewall at work! I just put 3 XP3200 machines (overclocked to 2.46 GHz) on dFold there yesterday because of that stupid firewall! Well at least Raven will lose his spot as number one producer in dFold if I can keep them there and run the other two I am building on dFold also!! Boy, would I love to see those 5 CPU's running F@Home!!!
What's your firewall type and setup?
Have you tried the f@h options to run thru a firewall?
My website

OneMacGuy  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 04:02 PM

What's your firewall type and setup?
Have you tried the f@h options to run thru a firewall?
If I knew, they would have to kill me. I have tried everyway that I could, setup the same way as dFold even. No go. Basically we can only use port 80. If it tries anything else, it just fails. I did try running it on some machinea at work and then cutting the entire directory to a CDRW every night and bringing it home and uploading it, too much work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules