Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quartz effects

Quartz effects
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006, 01:11 AM

I haven't really done any programming but i'm fascinated as to what effects are currently available under quartz. We have opacity obviously, which is frequently used (and somewhat overused - every other shareware app having an opacity slider somewhere in the prefs), vector transform (dock effects), and rotation. That's all I know of off the top of my head.

How do applications like Quicksilver get the special effects they have, as I don't think it's a Core Image function. Are things like transparency + blur possible? (aka vista window titles) I'm sure IE 5 used to do that with the location bar...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
I'm sure IE 5 used to do that with the location bar...
In fact it still does (if anyone still has it around... I have it, shame on me ).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 02:51 AM

I haven't really done any programming but i'm fascinated as to what effects are currently available under quartz. We have opacity obviously, which is frequently used (and somewhat overused - every other shareware app having an opacity slider somewhere in the prefs), vector transform (dock effects), and rotation. That's all I know of off the top of my head.

How do applications like Quicksilver get the special effects they have, as I don't think it's a Core Image function. Are things like transparency + blur possible? (aka vista window titles) I'm sure IE 5 used to do that with the location bar...
A lot of is done via transformation matrices and opacity tricks. The rest is either custom animations (pre-10.4), or CI effects which can do basically anything OpenGL shaders can do. My vague memory is that Quicksilver relies on a bunch of undocumented/private effect APIs.

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 08:52 AM

QS uses CGS (undocumented) APIs to do it's wizardry, just like my app, VirtueDesktops. Unfortunately for CoreImage, CGS is still a lot, lot faster (to my untrained eye) for the glitzy effects as used by the Dock and fast user switching.

I'd love Apple to prove me wrong in 10.5, as I'm itching to use CoreImage transitions in VirtueDesktops...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2006, 11:55 AM

I'm sure IE 5 used to do that with the location bar...
IE 5 must have had its own code to do that, since it did that even on Mac OS 9.

tooki

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2006, 12:00 PM

If I recall correctly, IE 5 took a snapshot of the desktop under the menu and blurred that. It wasn't a live effect.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Arnold
Unfortunately for CoreImage, CGS is still a lot, lot faster (to my untrained eye)
Out of curiosity, what GPU are you using?

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 05:35 PM

Last time I tested was the Radeon 9600 in my 17" PowerBook. Haven't had a chance to play with CoreImage on my MacBook Pro yet I'm hoping it's a big difference, cause CI was slow on my PowerBook.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 01:30 PM

CI does have problems when it comes to taking full advantage of advanced GPUs. Hopefully this will be rectified to some extent in Leopard.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
CI does have problems when it comes to taking full advantage of advanced GPUs. Hopefully this will be rectified to some extent in Leopard.
The 9600 is not a terribly advanced GPU in terms of shader programmability. I'd say that one of the major problems with CI is that it requires more advanced GPUs than are in most Macs (although I agree CI is not the most efficient way to use a GPU's resources, true).

Forum Links
Forum Rules