Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Light sleeve or bag recomendations needed

Light sleeve or bag recomendations needed
alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2007, 08:01 PM

I will be getting my 15" MBP in a few weeks, and in the past, I've always purchased Waterfield Designs Sleeve. However, the last one I purchased from them smelled just like stinky wetsuit, so I'm reluctant to order another one.

Here's the stinky sleeve:

I want to be able to carry my MBP with me everywhere, but I hate adding extra weight. The trade off is that it must be protected, of course.

What sleeves or bags are others using that they really like? Please post photos if you have them.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2007, 08:15 PM

I have a very basic timbuk2 sleeve. The inside is soft corduroy with a good amount of padding (enough to protect my 15" MBP, but not enough to make it feels bulky). It's got a really durable outer fabric and it velcros closed. It's a great sleeve and was only about $30.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 12, 2007, 08:51 PM

I really like my Incase Neoprene sleeve. it's lightweight, and it's smooth and easy to put on and take off. Mine has put up with me for about a year without any sign of wear, and that's saying something!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Remxed
Aug 12, 2007, 09:14 PM

i got some cheap targus laptop sleeve from bestbuy for $15.. not the best protection if you drop the mbp but it'll do for protecting against scratches.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Aug 13, 2007, 11:40 AM

I had a Waterfield sleeve just like that for my 17-inch Powerbook (all those years ago). I would highly recommend it! It won't completely save you from accidently drops, but the quality is fantastic and if you put it in another bag (backpack or side satchel) you'll be set.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 06:23 PM

I'm really looking for a sleeve that has room for the power cord and adapter. Most sleeves don't take this into account, and most bags expect you to carry several books with your computer. Why not something that's just for the computer and any necessary electrical items, but nothing else?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2007, 07:16 PM

As far as I've seen, for "sleeves," you just don't get space for extra stuff. "Cases", on the other hand, often do have such spaces-but they are usually significantly bulkier and heavier. I use my Incase sleeve inside my North Face pack, so I have space for other stuff elsewhere in the pack.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 10:15 PM

I went for the cargo case from Waterfield Designs with the sleeve I had previously. I couldn't find anything better. And they happen to have cool buckles.

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I really like my Incase Neoprene sleeve. it's lightweight, and it's smooth and easy to put on and take off. Mine has put up with me for about a year without any sign of wear, and that's saying something!
This is exactly what I have. I use it all the time (atleast twice a day).

Had it for 9 months, there is absolutely no signs on it, as you said.

A lot of time, I will bring my bag along with me. It's a MacCase Messenger, and I love it. Holds my iPod, iPhone (I wish), power cords, sleeves, pencils, adapters, and much more. Works perfectly. I put my MacBook in the sleeve, then in the case. My MacBook once fell ~3 feet off a cupboard while in the case, it was absolutely fine.
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules