Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Google

Google
cbk1994
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2008, 02:57 PM

EDIT: This is no longer happening for some reason. Right after posting, it now works.

Feel free to delete this post.

For some reason, I can't load Google. Last night, it started out that I couldn't load any subdomains-mail.google.com, news.google.com, etc. Now, however, I can't even load google.com

I can load all of these pages on another computer on the network, and even on this computer running Windows via Boot Camp.

I checked my hosts file, and there is nothing suspicious in there.

Code:
## # Host Database # # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry. ## 127.0.0.1 localhost 255.255.255.255 broadcasthost ::1 localhost fe80::1%lo0 localhost
I've tried switching DNS (switching from OpenDNS to my ISP's DNS servers), but it does no good.

In Safari, I get the error message "Safari can’t open the page “http://google.com/” because it could not connect to the server “google.com”."

Google also does not work in Firefox.

I've tried clearing my browser's cache, to no avail. If you've got any ideas, please tell me. I can't live like this!
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2008, 05:11 PM

I'm going to leave this here in case someone comes up with why it presented itself in the first place. It's awfully odd, and I'd like to know why it happened too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Dec 25, 2008, 03:18 AM

So every other web site worked except Google?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2008, 11:12 AM

Could have been just a cached DNS problem on your machine. Next time you can flush your computer's DNS cache. Google for it and you can find a page with the right terminal command and option, which depend on your OS X version (Tiger, Leopard).

Forum Links
Forum Rules