Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Euro 2008

Euro 2008 (Page 2)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2008, 05:28 PM

Between Sunday's match and today's, I am absolutely in love with Turkey.

Amazing ending.

Germany is usually my team, but I think I may be pulling for Turkey on Wednesday.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2008, 06:32 PM

Sheeesh my predictions have been zero for two two so far.. I predicted Portugal would win Germany and Croatia would win Turkey.

I've predicted Holland to win tomorrow, so if I'm jinxing things that's it for the Dutch. Sorry guys
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2008, 06:51 PM

I can't wait for Italy/Spain on Sunday.

I'll be turning off the ringer on my phone.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 04:42 AM

Wow. Russia (deservedly) kicked the Netherlands out of the tournament.

Who'd have seen that coming?

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Between Sunday's match and today's, I am absolutely in love with Turkey.
I watched two of their come-from-behind matches and it's been amazing fun watching them play. The Croatia match was phenomenal.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wow. Russia (deservedly) kicked the Netherlands out of the tournament.

Who'd have seen that coming?
Not me thats for sure. I was hoping for a Portugal v Holland final. Think that I'll root for the Spanish now.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2008, 11:30 AM

My favourite team (Netherlands) is out. They didn't play well for the most part and Russia was amazing.
I'll root for Germany now.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 22, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
... Think that I'll root for the Spanish now.
Which means you'll have to pick a new team to root for in just a couple of hours, what a hassle.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post
Which means you'll have to pick a new team to root for in just a couple of hours, what a hassle.
Rather that than root for Italy!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 22, 2008, 01:35 PM

^ Agreed. An inconvenient likelihood, but quite likely nonetheless.

(Btw, in *this* game I'll be rooting for the Spaniards as well, it's just exceedingly unlikely that "pretty" will be able to beat "experience".)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 01:44 PM

^ Agreed. An inconvenient likelihood, but quite likely nonetheless.

(Btw, in *this* game I'll be rooting for the Spaniards as well, it's just exceedingly unlikely that "pretty" will be able to beat "experience".)
True.. on the bright side no favorites have won so far. Crotia lost to Turkey, Holland to Russia and Portugal to Germany. Now Italy are the favorites and I hope the trend continues

HOWEVER, Spain hasn't beaten Italy in a major competition since 1920, although they beat Italy in a friendly match earlier this year.

I don't know what to make of that, but I know I'll be rooting for Spain tonight and I know that Spain certainly stands a chance, however small it may be. Either way Spain has perforemed admirably so far! I can be pleased about that.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2008, 01:55 PM

Unless Italy actually "plays" football again, I don't see how they stand a chance. What the Italians have shown us so far has been nothing short of a disaster. Spain's last performance wasn't great either but if they manage to keep the arrogance off the field (unlike in the last two matches), they'll win, I say and I'm going to root for them tonight.

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
True.. on the bright side no favorites have won so far. Crotia lost to Turkey, Holland to Russia and Portugal to Germany. Now Italy are the favorites and I hope the trend continues

HOWEVER, Spain hasn't beaten Italy in a major competition since 1920, although they beat Italy in a friendly match earlier this year.

I don't know what to make of that, but I know I'll be rooting for Spain tonight and I know that Spain certainly stands a chance, however small it may be. Either way Spain has perforemed admirably so far! I can be pleased about that.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 22, 2008, 02:23 PM

Point with the Italians is that they - more so than any other team on the planet (e.g. Brasil, Germany, et al) - are a tournament team that can a) adapt their tactics to interrupt their opponent's flow, b) call up tremendous resources when they're needed and c) have enough experience and are cold-blooded enough to ride a narrow lead home.

The only chance I see for the Spanish team is if they manage to gobble up an early and decisive lead ... e.g., going into the half time break leading the Italians by 2-0. If however this match goes into the 70th minute with a close score like a 1-0 lead for Spain or even a draw, there's little doubt in my mind that the Italians will win this thing.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 02:53 PM

I'm rooting hard for Spain - attack attack attack! I'm still sore over that debacle in 06 and I'd like someone to just beat the helll out of Italy for once and for all.

With the Netherlands out Spain is the last team I can feel excited about.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2008, 03:29 PM

This German ref sucks.

The Italians are playing dirty and keep getting away with it because the ref seems to be blind or stupid.

Go Spain.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

What the HECK is Aragonés thinking taking Torres out?!! Damn that stuffy old coot! I hope this is his last time as manager. The fool.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 05:12 PM

BOOOOOOOO-ring!

moep
Senior User
Jun 22, 2008, 05:16 PM

I had cards for this game and I'm so glad I've sold 'em.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 05:33 PM

¡ V I V A * E S P A Ñ A !

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 05:43 PM

Hooooooooorray! The mama boys are going home! Now the Sowjets can finish off the Spaniards so we can finish them in the final.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2008, 06:43 PM

If the final were to be between Germany and Russia, I doubt the Germans would win, eventhough I'd love for that to happen.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2008, 07:33 PM

Hooray Spain!

On Turkey; Looks like Nihat is out from that thigh injury he got at the end of the match against Croatia. So is anybody brave enough to bet on Turkey for Wednesday?

After the last two matches, I'll definitely be rooting for them. But I can't remember the last time I saw a team advance this far only to be hamstrung by having so many players out.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 07:54 PM

I won't be on the streets wednesday evening no matter who wins.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 07:56 PM

¡ V I V A * E S P A ñ A !
Qfe

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 22, 2008, 08:41 PM

..., Spain hasn't beaten Italy in a major competition since 1920, ...
And about time it was, too - go Spaniards!! But damn, that was a dreadful game ... like watching the Germany of old playing against themselves.

Talk about "not wanting to lose" instead of "wanting to win" ... ::shudder::

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 01:04 AM

Nasty-style match for Spain, but I don't care so long as they made it through. Let's hope they look a lot better against Russia. Maybe Russia will push the tempo enough to get the Spaniards moving.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I won't be on the streets wednesday evening no matter who wins.
Yeah, but you haven't been on the streets in twenty years.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 09:34 AM

Why the hell doesn't Fabregas start?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Why the hell doesn't Fabregas start?
Aragonés is a stubborn old coot?

To those who thought this was a booring game, I agree.. however: I'm putting the blame squarely on the Italians.. they never played offensive for one minute and locked up so completely that playing offensive against them wasn't an option. Clearly Spain had Villa, Torres and Silva trying to break through while Italy just had Lucas Toni poking at the ball every now and then.

Additionally the Italians tried every dirty trick in the book to hurt, maim and intimidate the Spanish players - which was expected of course. That's their style.

Looking at the statistics of the game, Spain had more possession, more shots at goal, more corners etc etc. The other team was in 110% defence. Every time Spain had posession, the entire Italian team withdrew to their half of the court.

It's more than fair to accuse the Spanish team for playing average football on a bad day, but asking them to share the blame for a defensive lock-down isn't. The better team won and whatever happens in the next game, it won't be anything like this. Russia and Spain are both here to play football.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 11:39 AM

To those who thought this was a booring game, I agree.. however: I'm putting the blame squarely on the Italians.. they never played offensive for one minute and locked up so completely that playing offensive against them wasn't an option. Clearly Spain had Villa, Torres and Silva trying to break through while Italy just had Lucas Toni poking at the ball every now and then.

Additionally the Italians tried every dirty trick in the book to hurt, maim and intimidate the Spanish players - which was expected of course. That's their style.

Looking at the statistics of the game, Spain had more possession, more shots at goal, more corners etc etc. The other team was in 110% defence. Every time Spain had posession, the entire Italian team withdrew to their half of the court.

It's more than fair to accuse the Spanish team for playing average football on a bad day, but asking them to share the blame for a defensive lock-down isn't. The better team won and whatever happens in the next game, it won't be anything like this. Russia and Spain are both here to play football.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 12:34 PM

^^ Agreed.

Italian play seemed like Verdun trench tactics, especially in the second half and extension.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 01:34 PM

For such a great team, they sure do get involved in penalty kicks a lot. Thing is - they had Spain's defense badly beaten a few times, and their players had such a height advantage that had they attacked more they'd have probably scored - either on crosses or corners.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:46 PM

For such a great team, they sure do get involved in penalty kicks a lot. Thing is - they had Spain's defense badly beaten a few times, and their players had such a height advantage that had they attacked more they'd have probably scored - either on crosses or corners.
Agreed, but then they'd have had to take some effort from their defense and Spain would also have managed to score some goals. In other words, the better offensive team would have won. That was a gamble Donadoni was not ready to take, apparently.

He probably would have lost it anyway. The best offensive teams in the competition this year are Holland, Russia, Spain and Germany. Way, way down on that list is Italy.

They could only hope to grind out a 0-1 victory or lose the game 4-2 or so. Penalty shoot out was plan B.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 01:29 AM

Latest On Cronaldo!!

Has subtitled swearing, so maybe NWS

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 08:51 AM

^ lmfao

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Latest On Cronaldo!!

Has subtitled swearing, so maybe NWS

hahahaha, that's funny. I love the poor mans Michael Jackson comment

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 04:51 PM

Anybody see today's game? Apparently Turkey outplayed Germany and still lost, 3-2 in the final minutes.

Bahh....

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2008, 04:54 PM

Awesome, awesome game! Just finished watching it... it could not have been closer! The way Germany played though, I felt Turkey were by far the better team, so Germany will have a tough final for sure.

Hmm, Russia winning 'Euro 2008', has a certain irony!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 04:55 PM

When the tv feed worked I watched the game. Yup Turkey played very well and should of won, but the Germans scored 3 good goals and thats what counts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 04:57 PM

Anybody see today's game? Apparently Turkey outplayed Germany and still lost, 3-2 in the final minutes.

Bahh....
Apparently ?

Bullsh*t.

Both teams played well, Germany just got the edge.

Also, Germany was cheated out of a penalty shot for a clear foul in the penalty box by the Turks.

It should have ended 4:2.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 04:57 PM

That was great.

3-2 in the 89th minute is a lucky break - what a close call!

The Turkish team ran like crazy, and as the outsider they had the edge of surprise and the unpredictable tactical opponent status.

A fair outcome, and Turkey went down guns blazing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
Turkey played very well and should of won, but the Germans scored 3 good goals and thats what counts.
Should have won ?

By what standards ?

It's not like Germany played bad soccer. They played very well.
All three goals were well executed, and they should have gotten that penalty kick, too.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2008, 05:24 PM

I agree. Turkey had the better game.

The second half was fairly level but the Germans were sleep walking during the first.

The tournament has been diminished through Turkey's exit. They had a great run that was *very* exciting to watch. Whereas Germany's soccer has become very boring over the past few years.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 25, 2008, 05:25 PM

First off - the Turks played very well tonight and it would've been a deserved win if they had used their chances more efficiently.

What ticks me off a bit is the fact that Turkey had won three matches in the same fashion the Germans won today: play crappy (= defense only) football for 80 minutes, score a goal or two in the last ten minutes and be done with it - and everybody was excited about their will and mental strength. When the Germans win a game in the same manner, everybody complains about how bad the German team played and how their win was lucky und undeserved. Just doesn't make much sense.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 05:32 PM

First off - the Turks played very well tonight and it would've been a deserved win if they had used their chances more efficiently.

What ticks me off a bit is the fact that Turkey had won three matches in the same fashion the Germans won today: play crappy (= defense only) football for 80 minutes, score a goal or two in the last ten minutes and be done with it - and everybody was excited about their will and mental strength. When the Germans win a game in the same manner, everybody complains about how bad the German team played and how their win was lucky und undeserved. Just doesn't make much sense.
The big difference in this game was that Turkey was BUSY this match. They worked extremely hard and managed to take the German team by surprise - which showed.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 05:36 PM

The German team took their time to get into the game today. Turkey took the offensive approach and it served them well. However, they were outmatched and didn't stand a chance in the big picture.

The Turkish defense was haphazard and chaothic, not least due to the people injured or banned, and their offensive game was not on target enough.

Germany played cautiously and strategically. While I knew beforehand that Germany should pull this one through, I wasn't really sure until they scored their third goal.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 25, 2008, 05:39 PM

^^ Absolutely. I'm definitely not trying to make the Turks look bad - for large portions of the match they were the better team and (probably) played the match of their lives (of the "tournament", at least) tonight. The Germans made lots and lots of mistakes, played a real bad defense, had *very* few brilliant moments and were their usual efficient selves in making perfect use of them.

In a sense, the Turks got "out-turked" tonight.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2008, 05:44 PM

The one bad thing I have to say about the Turks is that their defense sucked throughout the game. Any time the Germans drove the ball anywhere near the Turkish goal there was nary a defender.

Whereas the Germans always seemed to keep defenders back not matter how far off the ball was in play.

I guess part of that was Turkey putting all of their efforts into offense. But it bit them on that first equalizer.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I guess part of that was Turkey putting all of their efforts into offense. But it bit them on that first equalizer.

Oh yeah, when the equalizer shows up the game is over

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 25, 2008, 06:24 PM

Great match, too bad there were technical difficulties. :/

not all who wander are lost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules