Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 General Gripes and Pleasant Surprises

10.1 General Gripes and Pleasant Surprises
pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 12:49 PM

There were things I expected and read about, others I didn't know were coming.

Pleasant Surprises First.

- The Desktop panel in System Preferences previews a whole folder of pictures at a time. Excellent.

- The new corner Apple looks nicer than I anticipated. Still have to use graphite though.

- iTunes' visuals are now far more intricate. Some of the things I've seen since the update look way better than I thought iTunes would ever be capable of.

- Services, like making a sticky and grab, actually work in a few applications for once... its like the clipboard on steroids and I'm starting to like it.

- Updated HP printer support, which is now as robust as printing from classic. Woohoo!

- User Login has all new pictures. Mind you, they're not the greatest, but it was a nice change from ducky and iMacs.

- The Firewire extensions recognized my Orangemicro card, so I didn't need to use the hacked set. Be still my heart.

- The new Wacom driver (extra download from Wacom) lets you use the tablet even in apps running in Classic, which I didn't think I'd see.

- It installed Acrobat 5 and Stuffit Expander 6.5. : )

Okay, now some gripes.

- I have to wait for Tinkertool to update for 10.1 if I want to pin my docks to the start position again. Which I do.

- DVD playback is for AGP macs only. I hope somebody makes a patch soon. : (

- I still feel like my mouse is pulling the scroll bars and resize corners with a long elastic. "Suck" for the dock sucks. On my machine, it's not faster and it stutters really badly, especially with browser windows. CPU monitor flies off the chart when I drag. God I wish I had a dual 800.

- Mail.app now imports, but it never recognizes my Outlook Express in my 9.2.1 partition, and so I have to browse to find it FOR EVERY EMAIL I IMPORT. Argh. Like I've said before elsewhere, I gave up on importing and had to Force Quit after 12 emails of 1,500. Not cool. Looks like I have to wait for Entourage in Office X.

- A kernal panic within the first 12 hours. Lot's of force quits. I even had one stange episode before a reboot where icons wouldn't leave the dock after they quit.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 02:49 PM

I have to wait for Tinkertool to update for 10.1 if I want to pin my docks to the start position again.
From the Terminal, do "defaults write com.apple.Dock pinning start", then either kill the Dock or log out.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 03:10 PM

I have two major gripes about OS 10.1 (even though I got it free ):

1.AppleWorks spell check still disappears if the dock is anywhere but the bottom of the screen.

2.The Wacom driver is an app, and so suffers from heavy CPU usage. On my iMac it also stops the Dock from popping up, when set to hidden

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2001, 03:10 PM

I'll add some to the list:
Speed is awesome, CD burning is flawless, and some of the new interface enhancements rock.
Some complaints: Some of my windows aren't remembering their icon position after a while. Sometimes I'll open my hard drive and it's all jumbled and not arranged by name. This sometimes happens to a lesser exten on the desktop. Sometimes when I put a CD in it doesn't align properly with the icons on the desktop(set to arrange by name).
The scroll wheel on my logitech mouse works almost everywhere but it's not system wide as I'd hoped. AOL Instant Messenger still doesn't support it but that is hardly apple's fault.
Also, one of my windows resizes just as slow as 10.0.4 but all my other windows are smooth as silk at resizing(Sawtooth G4 350 512mb). Very Odd. Overall I'm loving 10.1. Now I just need to get the CD for myself(my friend was lucky enough to get a copy on saturday but when I went later that day my local CompUSA was all out). Overall I'm loving it.
Regards,
Dave

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2001, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>
The scroll wheel on my logitech mouse works almost everywhere but it's not system wide as I'd hoped.
</STRONG>
Which type of Logitech mouse do you have?

I'm thinking of getting the optical cordless model and am wondering if it's supported in OS X.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

one
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2001, 03:42 PM

Gotta say, my first 24 w/ X.1 has been somewhat alarming: after 6 mos in 0.x, I'm having kernel panics for the first time, and one-out+out freeze (like the kind I sometimes get in 9.x (while copying files - what's up w/ that?)).

And yes, that's panics, including scary moment when they were being written to the screen in a steady, unbroken stream! I've begun to wonder if Thoth is the chief suspect here. It is the ONLY program that has been active and busy EVERY TIME I've had any disruption of service in X.x.

Nothing unrecoverable, so far, and still....

On the other hand, I really like it (tho my honey & I are having a quality-time weekend, so hands-on w/ .1 is limited until after Band of Brothers tonight).

It really IS faster, and it really does feel more solid, and like it runs better (except as above). It seems both more intuitive and more straightforward.
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2001, 06:20 PM

some other nice things:

- finally, the dock is stable. hasn't yet crashed on me as it permanently did in 10.0.4
- aliases in folders in the dock are resolved. thank you!
- the keyboard commands in the keyboard preferences are great
- "ignore trackpad while typing" is a real break-through!

negative -- as always --: localization.

all in all, great work they've done. love it.

pscates
Sep 30, 2001, 06:27 PM

I like it but I have two concerns/questions/things I can't find or miss:

1. AirPort Software Base Station. Is this gone now? No longer supported? I have several buddies with multiple Macs in their house, all connected via AirPort and using his Quicksilver G4 as a Base Station. Now he - and a couple of other people I know - are faced with the prospect of shelling out $299 for a hardware Base Station. Am I right on this, or is this "feature" somehow stupidly tucked away and buried by default?

If it is indeed no longer supported, that's just stupid. Plenty of people used that feature and it seemed to work just fine. Now people are having to spend several hundred bucks on something they used to have working just fine. That's stupid and annoying. For every cool, forward-thinking, "man, they ROCK!" step Apple takes forward, they ALWAYS seem to leave something off, omit a previously implemented feature or otherwise "monkey with" a good thing.

What would be the thinking behind this decision? Sell some more $299 Base Stations, I guess. Good luck...and thanks for screwing with a cool thing.

2. The iSub no longer has its own volume control? So now, on my iMac DV, when I'm playing music or watching a DVD or whatever, it's that chintzy, no-bass-whatsoever sound coming straight out of the built-in Harman/Kardon iMac speakers. No good! Sounds like crap and one of the reasons I BOUGHT an iSub (and have thoroughly enjoyed it) is so I can HEAR some bass and low end. Now, I can get bass, but ONLY if I jack up the entire system volume to an obnoxious, louder-than-I-care-for setting that makes the entire system sound clipped and fuzzy and ear-tweaking. Not a pleasant sound.

Before, in 9.x, I could play iTunes or a DVD or whatever at a nice comfortable level (even quietly, at night, and not bug the neighbors). It was low in volume, but the bass would still come through, sounding simply like a nice, bassy stereo set at a low, reasonable volume. Now to get ANY bass, I have to crank the entire damn thing up to the point to where it's not even fun to listen to and it's even quite obnoxious and painful, which negates the whole "sitting in front of the computer listening to digital music" thing Apple seems to have been harping on and promoting lately.

What the hell?

How goddamn hard is it for them to simply leave things like the Software Base Station and iSub volume control panel alone and include it?

Let's see what they've accomplished: people now have to spend $299 to AirPort several in-house computers AND my music sounds like crap, either at low volume because of no bass, or high, iSub-activating volume that is too loud and harsh for small room or nighttime listening use.

Again, I ask: what the hell? I've dug around furiously for a day and a half looking for these features. Are they truly gone or am I just not looking in the right place?

Can anyone help?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 06:28 PM

Here is something sneaky that I found with 10.1. After installing it I launched iTunes and gave the Visuals a shot to see if the framerate had gone up. I was happy to see that it did at 12 FPS.

Then I had a look at the Visuals Options and saw that "Faster but Rougher display" was on. When I turned it off my iBooks framerate dropped to 5 frames a sec.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 06:29 PM

Hi all...

I posted a bit about this over at macosx.com forums - but seeing this thread I want to re-iterate.

Running G64 as of last week. No Show-stoppers (in fact, haven't seen a Panic since G48) but had a lot of bugs. (Classic sleep, jittery mouse, etc.)

ANYWAY - I grabbed the official update yesterday and installed it - wiping the downloaded G64 - and wouldn't you know it - I'm not seeing the bugs anymore.

So word to the wise - get G64 from a trusted source - I'm pretty sure the one I initially downloaded WASN'T G64 - likely a relabeled G59, etc.

May not be as big an issue today as many folks are posting images of the legit build - but if you're hitting a lot of bugs that aren't being confirmed by others you may not have installed quite what you think.

Peace + all -jb
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

jimmac
Sep 30, 2001, 06:52 PM

The good side : DVD, Speed, Better IE, More Features!

The Bad : DVD even on full screen plays in a slightly smaller window.
Games: Q3 playes in a slightly smaller window ( can't change it and it still says 1024 x 768 ) and Alien vs Preditor and Alice Demo quits after launching a game ( ugh ).

G4 450 ( single ) Radeon Retail AGP/ 640mgs of ram/ Apple studio Display 17". If anybody has any ideas about why this is happening ( ATI drivers ? ) I would appreciate the knowlege.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2001, 06:58 PM

I've noticed a few things in 10.1 that I've found quite cool...

- When you launch an app by accident, and it starts bouncing, right click on the icon in the dock and select force quit I'm not sure if that was there before, but its nice to have.

- I love the modified dock menu things, like what iTunes has. This is very handy..

- You can add your own system prefs to the prefernce panel. I have the Tinker Tool preference panel.

-Scroll Wheel almost works everywhere, but not quite. I few older carbon apps still dont support it, and some aspects of the system dont seem to use it.

Overall, I'm probably using OS X about 75% of the time. 10.1 just isn't fast enough on my Rev A iMac, and I can understand that mmm, I should be upgrading to a tower in january.

Great job Apple. I'd love to see this in action on a fast computer. My jaw droped when I saw how fast it was during the sybold keynote.

Ben

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 07:23 PM

My 2 cents worth. Anybody having problems, especially if you are installing over a previous beta (gotten however), erase you HD and reinstall. Using the reformat option in the installer is NOT ADEQUATE. I tried this 3 times, each time content was left on the HD that affected the installed system, only a low level format (from OS 9) fixed it. All problems were then solved.

It is important to release that the final installer is designed to update 10.0-10.04 not a beta of 10.1.

For me personally, I backed up my users folder, and replaced on my newly formated HD prior to the install, and that worked well for preserving my preferences and data.

-R

Otherwise working great. I am 10.1 full time on two computers (except to play classic games)

Things I want fixed

1) Software basestation (I am using gNAT, and it works well, but his really should be in the system)
2) Right clicking on multiple items in list view is broken (as in command-option dragging)
3) Options for powermanagement (such as separate prefs for AC and battery) need to be replaced
4) I liked spring loaded folders
5) Classic Input Sprockets should at least be able to see through to the right mouse button, for alot of games this is critical
6) Networking needs work, servers whether AFP or Classic Appletalk only appear in lists randomly, and windows file server never.

-R
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 07:57 PM

Picked up the update disk from Homer, the Apple rep at Compooosa in Boulder, yesterday. Had problems with 10.0.4 last week, so I wiped the partition and started all over from scratch: OS 9.1, updated to 9.2.1, loaded 10.0 then went looking for that nasty firmware update.Ha! it's been pulled for the tower... ran the 10.1 updater and this baby flies! Just watched Space Cowboys and was very impressed with the DVD player. Listening to some streamed jazz on iTunes while I do this. OS X has hit the big time. hahahah this streaming station is playing the same Frank Sinatra song that Cowboys finished with... I'm liking 10.1 big time. Scroll wheel even works on my Intellimouse Explorer and my HP 932 prints perfect.

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: zac4mac ]

Archangel
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 09:04 PM

10.1 is great. I like a lot of the new tweaks and the improved speed. My biggest gripe this far is the DVD player. I've had it freeze the entire computer twice now in windowed mode (not full screen); I had to reboot my G4 because of the freezes. I was hoping that windowed viewing would be stable and fast (no skipped frames), but I only got the speed. Has anybody else had this problem?

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 02:16 AM

A pleasant surprise: my UMAX 2100 now works in Classic. Drag & Drop from OS-X Finder to Classic Eudora now works.

Gripe: Wake after connecting an external monitor still broken.

Can't save display calibrations.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2001, 05:45 AM

Hello,
To the earlier poster who was talking about not being able to use 10.1 as a software base station, I just wanted to let them know it is possible to do. I have it set up right now.
I heard people saying that BrickHouse (Firewall) app is capable of doing this. Unfortunately I was not able to make it work. However, what I was able to use was this URL:
http://www.macfixit.com/osx/airportbase.shtml

It gives instructions on how to make it work. Been working great!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 06:07 AM

Bad
  • OSXvnc - running the faceless unix vnc program (resides within the OSXvnc package) causes a menu bar to appear on the login screen. Security risk - from this you can open system preferences, and add or modify users (it the panel was left unlocked) and thus gain access to the system !
  • Wierd keyboard error - all keypresses - even over SSH - were being interpreted as though the ALT (Option) key was held down. I was unable to log in at all !! Fortunately, because of the error mentioned above, I could open the keyboard panel, and see what was causing the problem. I suspect that this is a kernel bug in the code that reads STDIN input. Hard reboot to cure.
  • For some reason, if an application changes the screen resolution of goes 'full screen' (thinking about it, it might be when the menu bar is hidden) I get the speakable items controller and spoken commands window appearing - even though speakable items it turned off Grrr !

Good
  • iBook screen dims to low brightness after several minutes (not something I set in Energy Saver)
  • I'm sure the iBook backlight (glowing Apple) actually dimms to off when I sleep it, rather than just cutting out like it used to. Sublime !
  • The volume and brightness overlays are sweet !

Harald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 06:46 AM

Good: What Steve said. Thanks developers.

Bad: Mount a Windows 2000 Server drive and THE DAMN THING WON'T SHOW UP IN THE FINDER. Nope, it's in /volumes/MyBloodyInvisibleVolume/ and you can open in finder using the "Go To Folder ..." menu, or via the terminal ... but is it on the Desktop? Is it buggery. Is it in the "Computer" window? Noooope.

Grrrr.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by spectre:
<STRONG>I've noticed a few things in 10.1 that I've found quite cool...

- When you launch an app by accident, and it starts bouncing, right click on the icon in the dock and select force quit I'm not sure if that was there before, but its nice to have.

Ben</STRONG>
This is there in 10.0.4 but I use Option click as I am
using a powerbook.

Michael

MickS
Senior User
Oct 1, 2001, 07:07 AM

Good: Speed, it's like having a new machine.

Bad: Still no apparent way to use the IrDA port to talk to the cellphone modem. Come on Apple I can't be a mobile user if I've got to find a land line to dial up!

Mick

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 07:15 AM

My gripes about 10.1 are pretty minor - there's so much more to praise.

the bad
Internet Connect messed up on me once (status was blank and clicking Connect did nothing).
The Speakable Items window did pop up for no reason on me too. Only once though!
No IrDA as far as I can see.
SMB isn't as integrated into the Finder or a intuitive as I hoped.

the good
The fact that SMB is there at all - what a huge step forward in Apple's approach.
Cut & Paste of files
The DVD Player is fantastic - I've been multitasking it with iTunes and Mail and the whole system is ticking along nicely (PBG4/500).
Java works in IE.
My scrollwheel now works in all apps.
Microsoft's Word preview is great.
The Finder feels much more responsive.
I have my Dock pinned to left of the screen.
The login window is lovely.

..and it now feels like it looks - a truly modern-day operating system.

It's seems very churlish to complain 2 days after Apple regained its historic lead in operating systems...

Chris

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 09:10 AM

I forgot one more + point:

* on an iBook you can disable the trackpad whilst typing. This is an absolute godsend, as the iBook's pad is so big my thumbs have a tendancy to bruch against it whilst typing, invariably selecting a background application (I also have tap-to-click selected). Now I can type hapily, and the pointer just behaves like it should. Great !

Can anyone else confirm the speakable items bug ? Try going full screen in something like OSXvnc, Airburst, Quicktime or the DVD player.

dcemt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 09:41 AM

Good: Very responsive. Feels very quick.
Rock solid and stable.
built in windows networking.
All the fun of Unix, with a better GUI and mainstream applications.

BAD: Burning sucks on my machine. B/W G3 350 DVD, Ext Yamaha 16X10X40 Firewire CDRW. The finder won't burn without errors, the finder becomes unresponsive during burns. Even with toast, I have to turn the burn speed way down. Made way too many coasters.

No DVD for me. Note to Apple: you sold me this damn DVD drive, now support the damn thing!!

The SMB support is a bit weak.

Overall, I am very pleased. Not perfect yet, but I have faith that Apple will continue to improve the system. Also, I'm quite sure it will perform even better on my Dual 800 that should arrive in another week or so

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>Can anyone else confirm the speakable items bug ? Try going full screen in something like OSXvnc, Airburst, Quicktime or the DVD player.</STRONG>
I *had* this problem, along with a couple others, with a Carracho-downloaded disk image of 5G64.

I reinstalled from a different disk image and the problem went away.

I'm guessing corrupted image - unless you've installed from your official shrink-wrapped 10.1 updater...

-chris.

milhous
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 09:59 AM

Something that I get in 10.1 that never happened to me are KERNEL PANICS! I mean, I've only had one so far, but I'm hoping that stability has not been degraded with the latest release.

FYI, I was trying to access some AppleShare file servers on my local lan and just as I was going to select the volumes, i got the kernel panic. After rebooting though, all seemed fine. Hopefully, it's just a minor bug.

It runs great though on my Pismo 500. DVD is flawless and application execution is impressive. Dock minimization effects are noticeably faster as well. This is what 10.0 SHOULD'VE been, but we have it now so I'm not complaining!

Keep it up Apple!

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]
F = ma

chengjt
Oct 1, 2001, 10:01 AM

I got 10.1 up on my powerbook this morning and I like it.

The only complaint so far is the use of mouse scroll wheel in Classic applications. Is this not supposed to work in 10.1?

- JT -

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>Something that I get in 10.1 that never happened to me are KERNEL PANICS! I mean, I've only had one so far, but I'm hoping that stability has not been degraded with the latest release.
</STRONG>
Probably should have kept that "s" off of the "PanicS" then.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

-Q-
Oct 1, 2001, 10:53 AM

10.1 has been great so far. A few small quirks on my iBook 2, but overall a very positive experience. My one complaint is that SMB just doesn't work. Couldn't connect it to my windows share at home and can't get it to connect to my Win network @ work.

And of course Dave doesn't work with 10.1. Guess it's back to 9 and DoubleTalk...

Q

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 1, 2001, 01:13 PM

<STRONG>Some complaints: Some of my windows aren't remembering their icon position after a while. Sometimes I'll open my hard drive and it's all jumbled and not arranged by name. This sometimes happens to a lesser exten on the desktop. Sometimes when I put a CD in it doesn't align properly with the icons on the desktop(set to arrange by name).</STRONG>
This appears to be a bug in the Finder of Mac OS X 10.1. I've got around the bug with folders not remembering icon positions etc by deleting the existing .DS_Store file in a particular directory (it then appears to be recreated), but, as I've said in another posting, deleting the com.apple.finder.plist file in my Preferences file results in everything permanently returning to the default settings, as the Finder first of all refuses to recreate this file, and even when it does, it won't populate within anything other than default settings.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 1, 2001, 01:14 PM

<STRONG>Some complaints: Some of my windows aren't remembering their icon position after a while. Sometimes I'll open my hard drive and it's all jumbled and not arranged by name. This sometimes happens to a lesser exten on the desktop. Sometimes when I put a CD in it doesn't align properly with the icons on the desktop(set to arrange by name).</STRONG>
This appears to be a bug in the Finder of Mac OS X 10.1. I've got around the bug with folders not remembering icon positions etc by deleting the existing .DS_Store file in a particular directory (it then appears to be recreated), but, as I've said in another posting, deleting the com.apple.finder.plist file in my Preferences folder results in everything permanently returning to the default settings, as the Finder first of all refuses to recreate this file, and then, even when it does, won't populate within anything other than default settings.

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: kennethmac2000 ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2001, 01:20 PM

Good: Everything that's been mentioned above.

Bad: The DVD player gets the job done -barely- but it has some very significant bugs concerning subtitles and menus (off-center for subtitles and badly-positioned for menus; the bugs appear to be related). Not a Good Thing for us anime fans.

Also Bad: No SCSI CD-R support. Roxio is said to be working on making Toast do this; here's hoping they succeed.

Inexcusably Bad: No Epson Photo printer support. Yeah, Epson's to blame for this, not Apple, I know.

So I'm still booting into OS9 to play my DVD's, burn CD's, and print (and use VGS, but I don't count that because it's a dead app). So 10.1 hasn't affected the need for me to boot into OS9. But overall, a very good update.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

<Techdude>
Oct 1, 2001, 06:46 PM

10.1 is wunnerful.

My only gripe:

No support for analog video or audio harware on any Mac I have tried. Imac 333, BW G3 350, or Beige AV G3 tower.

Whats the deal Apple?

Techdude

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2001, 07:42 PM

10.1 I think is a great update like everyone else has said so far. The DVD player is decent. one thing I did notice on my Powerbook G3 500 PISMO was that the F12 Key now ejects the drive. very cool feature. iTunes is much better.

The only gripe I would have is at Epson for not having dirvers for my 780c yet.

Overall I would give it a 7.5-8.0 out of 10. I'm sure the updates that are coming out will fix some of these bugs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2001, 08:10 PM

Until 10.1 final came out, the last version I had access to was 5G27, and I was very enthusiastic about it.

Now I'm running 10.1 Final, and it's awesome. Quite a bit better than 5G27. It's working very well, and Classic 9.2.1 runs all my software very well.

The DVD player works great for me - much better than the player in OS 9.

My main gripe thus far continues to be with the Finder. Try connecting to a network volume, or your iDisk, and you get the spinning rainbow CD for way too long.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2001, 08:12 PM

Until 10.1 final came out, the last version I had access to was 5G27, and I was very enthusiastic about it.

Now I'm running 10.1 Final, and it's awesome. Quite a bit better than 5G27. It's working very well, and Classic 9.2.1 runs all my software very well.

The DVD player works great for me - much better than the player in OS 9.

My main gripe thus far continues to be with the Finder. Try connecting to a network volume, or your iDisk, and you get the spinning rainbow CD for way too long.

Oh, and F12 on the Pismo - yeah, it ejects the CD, every time I sloppily hit the "delete" key!

Kompressor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 08:15 PM

Experiences on a QuickSilver G4 733 128megs:

Overall, much better than 10.0.4. The speed of launching has been improved; window resizing is better, although it still isn't amazing like everyone seems to claim. One area of irritation in performance that seems troublesome is this: When switching to another window from the active one, there is a short but perceptible lag before I can resize or move the other window. This may seem minor BUT it is annoying. Henry Knorr in his review of 10.1 says that he still sees too much of the spinning wheel (and this on a 867 QS) and I tend to agree. Nonetheless, a very significant update. I can see why Steve says we're at 6 o'clock. Perhaps at 12 o'clock (10.2 ?) things will really be there...

Kompressor

Kompressor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 08:16 PM

Overall, much better than 10.0.4. The speed of launching has been improved; window resizing is better, although it still isn't amazing like everyone seems to claim. One area of irritation in performance that seems troublesome is this: When switching to another window from the active one, there is a short but perceptible lag before I can resize or move the other window. This may seem minor BUT it is annoying. Henry Knorr in his review of 10.1 says that he still sees too much of the spinning wheel (and this on a 867 QS) and I tend to agree. Nonetheless, a very significant update. I can see why Steve says we're at 6 o'clock. Perhaps at 12 o'clock (10.2 ?) things will really be there...

Kompressor

Kompressor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 08:19 PM

Kompressor

Napier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 08:45 PM

The external speakers on this old 333 iMac (288 megs of ram) work perfectly now, I don't have to plug them in the front headphone outlet anymore!
And it is quite a bit faster considering the unsupported display card in this iMac.
The screensaver is worse though.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by spectre:
<STRONG>I've noticed a few things in 10.1 that I've found quite cool...

- You can add your own system prefs to the prefernce panel. I have the Tinker Tool preference panel.

Ben</STRONG>

Realllllly? COOL! But can you tell me how to do it??? I don't see that function. Is it a terminal hack or something?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 10:27 PM

Realllllly? COOL! ....

Wow, my first double post! HowdIdodat?

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: John Tewksbury ]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>

Realllllly? COOL! But can you tell me how to do it??? I don't see that function. Is it a terminal hack or something? </STRONG>
You have to write code to put it there. It's actually documented by Apple with the latest developer tools. I would recommend checking it out at /Developer/Documentation/AdditionalTechnologies/PreferencePanes .
dennis

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2001, 02:04 AM

Moveable dock, ignore trackpad, dvd playback, IE is faster overall, system preferences

Dislikes:

Window resizing is still slow. Better but not good enough. Some apps. still take to long to launch. I had a kernel panic when first starting up. It turned out to be my keyspan USB 19 for my Palm hotsink. I know their is a update but the user reviews on Version Tracker is a one star average and I dont need it that bad as I hotsink on my Pismo via IR Port.

Other than that I'm pretty impressed give me some more time and I'll have a more concise opinon.

<Joe>
Oct 2, 2001, 02:15 AM

My ONLY major problem with OS X 10.1 (Pismo 400/384MB RAM) is that Internet Connect or the PPP menu still occasionally hang the computer (e.g. make it completely unresponsive except to move the cursor) for up to 2 minutes. It's a huge pain.

On the other hand, everything else is great -- speed, stability, etc. Have moved over to it full time.

Zoro
Oct 2, 2001, 03:51 AM

Please, when you have kernel panics, report them to Apple by copying the text that appears on the screen and telling what you were doing.
Panics are some of the worst bugs and I'm sure fixing them is pretty high in Apple's bug fixing list.

[edit: typos]

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Zoro ]

scarab
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 04:13 AM

Pathogen, try downloading the mail import AppleScript from "http://signin.apple.com/?locationurl=http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum]25304" Apple Support (KBase Document 25304). You have to log in before entering the page.
One, have you tried re-installing? I have installed Mac OS 10.x many times and when I experience kernel panics with any particular installation, these problems go away after a nice clean installation.

edit: Apple's url was not playing nice with UBB. Just copy the quoted address.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: scarab ]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2001, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>Can anyone else confirm the speakable items bug ? Try going full screen in something like OSXvnc, Airburst, Quicktime or the DVD player.</STRONG>
Yes, I can. iMacDV+ (192MB). When I run DVD Player and change to full screen mode I get the speakable items thing ("microphone" or what?)too, even though I never turned ot on. If I then open the system prefs it shows that speakable items are off. I then turn them on and off and the "microphone" disappears. Pretty strange. And yes, I installed the official Apple Update from CD, no pirated build sor something like that.

I'm sending Apple a bug report.

Simon

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2001, 03:48 AM

More that I've encountered:

Good
  • iSub works (did I mention this before ?)
  • Belkin hub does work - I don't know why I thought it didn't
  • Iomega Zip CD writer works from the Finder (although it aint fast)
  • Image Capture recognises my Kodak DC 240 - and it works like a dream. Much much faster than it ever was in System 9, and totally stable so far.
  • Lexmark printer drivers - very nice, and great quality prints (note: you have to download the drivers, they are not in the 10.1 update, nor on the CD Lexmark box with the printer).
  • New Dev tools available for download - Note to non-US developers: the US download sites are much faster than the European ones (100K + vs. 4-5K)

Bad
  • Some applications seem to stall for a long time when launching - I think this might be DNS/network related.
  • That speakable items thing is driving me nuts !

I think I've got over that uneasy 'this is different' feeling I get whenever I upgrade, and now I'm starting to settle into the new way pf doing things; it's looking good !

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 09:37 AM

10.1 is nice but not all that I hoped it would be on my B/W G3 350 (640 MB). Scrolling still stinks in things like Acrobat or the Word Test drive. Apps launch faster, which is nice, but other parts of the systems seem to have slowed down. However, on my Pismo 400 it feels much faster.

Also, the menulings wont open the system prefs.

Otherwise, good update. As someone who has used OS X as his main OS since the PB, this is what the first release should have been.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules