Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > More Congressional Pettiness and Stupidity

More Congressional Pettiness and Stupidity
BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 10:25 PM

Just read the link. It's so painfully stupid I can't bear to describe it:

CNN Article

BlackGriffen

Edit:fixed tag

nickdman
Banned
Mar 13, 2003, 10:29 PM

Its not stupid you self indulgent prick. It's about damn time they bring home our soldiers that fought for yours and mine freedom....

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 10:56 PM

...she was approached by a constituent who said he wanted to bring home his father, who was killed in World War II and buried in France.
Sounds like the congresswoman's just doing her job.

BlackGriffen  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 11:00 PM

They've been dead and in the ground for nearly 60 years. It's not like we didn't know where their bodies were all this time. This is congress being petty and small over the politics du jour. Here's what the American Legion had to say about the matter:
Steve Thomas, a spokesman for the American Legion, said the veterans' group would need some time to look at the legislation. He said the American Legion has always respected the wishes of the families concerning those who died in combat, but noted that "a lot of people may not want to repatriate their fallen loved ones, separating them from their comrades, to make a statement about the French government."
BlackGriffen

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
This is congress being petty and small over the politics du jour.
What's petty and small to you may not be to others - notably, the constituent who asked his congresswoman about relocating his father's gravesite.

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by nickdman:
Its not stupid you self indulgent prick. It's about damn time they bring home our soldiers that fought for yours and mine freedom....
Excuse me? OUR freedom? Was the United States being attacked by Germany during the war? Was our freedom being restricted by Nazi Germany, eh? How come that WHENEVER we're going to war, we're fighitn for are freedom? Oh, so we're continually oppressed by every political power except our own, are we? No, my fine friend. Those soldiers fought for the various European nations that Gernmany had invaded, for their freedom. Ours wasn't in any danger, of course we could have been next, but it wasn't like we went to war with them because we were afraid they'd attack us next. They fought and died on French soil, unless I'm clearly mistaken, and thus it is somewhat fitting they be buried on French soil. Moving them for the sake of politics is frankly a dispicable thing. Death is a part of nature and human life, and how we handle the dead part of human custom and sentiment. It should not be subject to an international fracas between toddlers.

And, on a separate note, though I have indulged in a little myself, I feel I must speak out against all of the recent French bashing. I see that their reluctance to become militarily involved during World War II and the US's recent disagreement with them has earned them the name of cowardly surrender-monkeys. As I said, I too have been guilty of this to some extent, but frankly I find these comments are caused by a severe misunderstanding of world history. We quote their actions in WWII, but what about World War I? Remember that little conflict we don't like to think about? What was it called back in the day, "The War to End All Wars?" If you'd like to know, World War I was a long, terrible, wasteful conflict that did much damage to France, as well as the countries that would become Germany, and others. It was really a pointless conflict, an early 20th century Vietnam, a result of entangling alliances and repressed regression between nations. Almost an entire generation was wiped out. Resources were drained, and after the war was over people did not want to fight anymore. Not just France, but all of Europe. That is why appeasement was used at first during WWII. They didn't want another wasteful conflict. They thought, like before, that Nazi Germany was feeling its oats, and giving it a little space to expand would satisfy Hitler. They were wrong, tragically so, but they were hardly cowards. They were just tired of fighting. But we, who have not been invaded since the War of 1812, sit back, comfortably, and condemn them for being such cowards because we don't know what it was like in their situation. SEPTEMBER 11TH WAS A PITIFUL LOSS IN COMPARISON TO THE WORLD WARS. Maybe we do need another Vietnam to remind us just how terrible war can be. Yes, sometimes it is necessary, and it might even be necessary in Iraq, but glorifying it can be a terrible mistake. Blood is a bitter dish. There is a name for those who have a taste for it: vampires.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
What's petty and small to you may not be to others - notably, the constituent who asked his congresswoman about relocating his father's gravesite.
Now, if the family wants the grave moved, that's another thing. You have a good point there. However, considering recent sentiments can make one cynical.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 11:41 PM

I'm just waiting for Colin Powell to send back his Legion of Honor.

Gawd, how embarrassing our government is sometimes.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
Now, if the family wants the grave moved, that's another thing. You have a good point there. However, considering recent sentiments can make one cynical.
What's more, this is about using taxpayer money to send a political message to the French. There's nothing I know of stopping individual families from taking the step themselves, if they deem it necessary. I would guess most have no interest at all. For those who do, I would suggest they band together and raise the money privately.

finboy
Mar 14, 2003, 01:08 PM

I've heard this talked about for as long as I can remember. In fact, I think the French have pressured us at different times to remove graves.

This isn't new, but again, the media doesn't want you to know that.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 01:45 PM

Here I thought this was going to be another thread on the Democrats treatment of Miguel Estrada...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules