Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any CompUSA Employees about?

Any CompUSA Employees about?
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 09:09 PM

I just got off the phone with the local CompUSA, looking for a refurb iBook, as I got an excellent deal there last time. I was told by the guy on the phone that they had a refurb iBook, but couldn't sell it for a week...was that a line of bull, or do they have special rules? I noticed that the refurb iBooks are gone from the Apple Store online as well. This sucks too, because I have $1400 and want to upgrade, and don't need the latest machine, I just want something a little faster than 500MHz

benb
Mar 28, 2003, 10:08 PM

I hae CompUSA. They suck. No offence to anyone who works there, but it does. I had a guy lock the door 1 hour early on me once, and he refused to open it, even though the sign on the door said open till 10. And then I wanted a floppy power cable, and I called them and they said they had one. I went there and they said they didn't. Then the nerd said that I should just buy a floppy drive for $20. Dork. I don't want one, and when do the drives come with the power cables? I hate that place.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I just got off the phone with the local CompUSA, looking for a refurb iBook, as I got an excellent deal there last time. I was told by the guy on the phone that they had a refurb iBook, but couldn't sell it for a week...was that a line of bull, or do they have special rules? I noticed that the refurb iBooks are gone from the Apple Store online as well. This sucks too, because I have $1400 and want to upgrade, and don't need the latest machine, I just want something a little faster than 500MHz
For $1299, you can get a brand new iBook, with a Combo drive; why would you want a refurb?

As far as their "special rules", what can be sold at a discount is usually up to the store manager when it comes to refurbs and discontinued items. If they told you they couldn't sell it for a week, then they probably didn't want to take a margin hit right now, as there is usually no profit in selling refurbs and discontinued machines.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 12:35 AM

gahh sounds like Future Shop up here in Canada they have Macs sometimes.. but they're always like... gahh they never make em look good and junk I gota stop in though cause a friend said they had a 17 inch iMac in there

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
For $1299, you can get a brand new iBook, with a Combo drive; why would you want a refurb?
i want the refurb to save a spot of money, as I would like to get a 60BG firewire drive as a backup too. I bought my iBook there as well, got a very good deal on it, including Applecare. I may just go with the $999 model, I don't need the speed for the iBook, or the burner, save the rest of the money for peripherals

nickdman
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 04:57 AM

I used to be a reseller for CompUSA they had some very unethical bussiness practices

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2003, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I bought a refurb iBook last December (since sold on eBay) and my 12" G4 PowerBook from CompUSA (since sitting on my desk next to me). Both times, the salespeople were less than knowledgeble and once they offered to take a whopping $50 off on an iMac FlatPanel for five burnt pixels. Man, what a...uhh...deal.

The most insulting of all was that I've sold computers for a number of years and their salespeople have no idea how to sell. Today's contemplation: How do they manage to stay in business?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by nickdman:
I used to be a reseller for CompUSA they had some very unethical bussiness practices
Don't forget about the perks.

My friend works at CompUSA. We went to some other CompUSA and some guy was trying to sell a lady a PC (this was a couple years ago or so) and my friend came up and said,"You know in about a week we're going to have a sale on the new iMacs for $1000. You'd save money and get a cool looking computer."

The lady drifted over the Mac section was drooling over the products. The PC guy said that Macs can't open Microsoft Office files. Then we walked around the corner and showed her Office98.

So the lady decided to wait a week and get an iMac.

WHOA SH*T was that guy PISSED! We got thrown outta the store cuz this sale rep was blowing up over how we made him lose a sale, he was gonna make top sales rep with it, etc.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 02:17 PM

hahaha that's a lovely story!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2003, 09:04 PM

You get commission on sales and perks for selling extras. If you sell a warranty (bronze, gold, or platinum) with an item you get perks that you can trade in for discounts on your already 5% discount, or extra money to your paycheck.

At least, that's how they did it in Colorado.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 01:51 AM

What really cracks me up about CompUSA is their apparent policy of not hiring anyone who knows a d@mn thing about computers. While wandering around the one in my area, I've heard any number of howlers. And not just about Macs either.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules