Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Male Circumcision

View Poll Results: Have you been circumcised?
Poll Options:
No 87 votes (50.00%)
Yes 83 votes (47.70%)
Yes, had it done later on in life rather than as an infant 4 votes (2.30%)
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll
Male Circumcision (Page 2)
tintub
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Trust me, gay guys know how those suckers work and I call tell you that all my cut boyfriends aren't stimulated by some of the things that would make an uncut cry scream out to the heavens
TMI!!!

But then this whole thread is TMI.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
TMI!!!

But then this whole thread is TMI.
Prob better if you don't read this thread then

"Barwaraaawww"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
I hate to say it, but if you are talking about the bit of skin on the underside that attaches to the head, then you are NORMAL. Everyone has that. Some people even pierce it (I believe it is called your fremen??)
MUAD'DIB !!!!!

Er...um. It's actually the "frenulum".

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
I'd say that it's possibly because male circumcision loses the foreskin. Female takes off the clit. From what I understand, that's roughly equivalent to losing the head of the penis.
Bent Wookiee's take on male circumcision is a pretty good one.

Loss of erogenous tissues in male circumcision

-s*

nickdman
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 05:05 AM

WAY TO GO MindFad! You so totally ****ing rule

Oswald Defense Lawyer
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 07:18 AM

keep your smug little "30% greater pleasure" theories to yourselves until you are prepared to back them with cold, hard science!
It's seems I underestimated the disasterous effects of circumcision -
"Men who have been circumcised as adults are in a much better position to compare the intact and circumcised states, and many of them tell a disturbing story. (7, 8) These men report the loss of approximately 50-75% of their sexual sensitivity after circumcision. "

The circumcized are tragic sexual cripples, who have been butchered with the consent of their otherwise caring parents. You have to worry about the mental health of a person who is willing to chop off parts of their children's bodies. It's amazing that this primitive form of genital mutilation has lasted so long.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Oswald Defense Lawyer:
"Men who have been circumcised as adults are in a much better position to compare the intact and circumcised states, and many of them tell a disturbing story. (7, 8) These men report the loss of approximately 50-75% of their sexual sensitivity after circumcision. "

The circumcized are tragic sexual cripples, who have been butchered with the consent of their otherwise caring parents. You have to worry about the mental health of a person who is willing to chop off parts of their children's bodies. It's amazing that this primitive form of genital mutilation has lasted so long.
Quite sobering information. Thank your for the link! Wonder how many get the reconstructive surgery?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2003, 01:08 PM

I have never seen a circumcised man. I was therefore surprised that about half of the people that voted here *had* circumcision. Wow.

Is it an American tradition or something?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

Sorry, but I don't share your view that I and other circumcized are "tragic sexual cripples". Considering this:

"The most important sexual organ is the brain. The brain controls all of our sexual responses, releases sex hormones, and gives us the ability to create sexual fantasies. In our minds, we can recall or create sexual experiences that may generate erotically stimulating sensations in our bodies."

It's not surpising that adults that are circumcized as adults feel less sexual pleasure. It's probably not so much as result of the operation but from their self-mental picture that they've been robbed of something. A healthy view of your sexual-self is more key to sexual satisfaction than the presence or lack of a foreskin.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 02:01 PM

Well, you know, people still feel amputated limbs decades after removal and can re-create experiences in their heads as if they were still there.

That doesn't justify chopping off every infant's left thumb.

Read the article I linked to above for an analysis of just what (and how much!) nervous tissue tends to be removed in circumcision.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I have never seen a circumcised man. I was therefore surprised that about half of the people that voted here *had* circumcision. Wow.

Yes. Ostensibly for "hygienic" reasons (where not religious).

-s*

finboy
Mar 29, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Female circumcision, by the way, is abhorrent.
Male circumcision is just as abhorrent. Both are genital mutilations.

finboy
Mar 29, 2003, 05:03 PM

[double post]

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Is that a statistic? Get a dictionary please.
Yes, poptart, that is a statistic. You see, statistics, or stats, are any set of numerical data.

>50% of Americans are female.
1 in 7 people are gay.
Get a circumcision, lose 30% of your sensitivity.

For our next class we'll learn how to interpret humor over the internet.

watch your language and attitude. -DH
( Last edited by Demonhood; Mar 29, 2003 at 05:51 PM. )

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes. Ostensibly for "hygienic" reasons (where not religious).

-s*
Ya guys in the U.S. are dropping like flies from Dirty Dick.

Oswald Defense Lawyer
Banned
Mar 29, 2003, 06:10 PM

Clearly, what we have learnt is that it is American tradition to:
1. Never wash - particularly the genitals
2. Mutilate the sexual organs of children

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 06:11 PM

When I was born and even later it was just the expected thing to do with a male child.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 06:20 PM

Clearly, what we have learnt is that it is American tradition to:
1. Never wash - particularly the genitals
2. Mutilate the sexual organs of children
It's not just a matter of hygiene, but differences in anatomy and the genes. Some people are just more prone to infection. Some people need an appendectomy!

I disagree that with males it's mutilation, it does not change form or function. In females it is mutilation because it changes the anatomy so that sex is painful.

clod
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 08:16 PM

Yes, Canadian too. I was one of the first generations to not automatically get one at birth at my hospital (in Montr�al). It was just the expected thing to do. I know very few people who are not circumcized. Many (maybe most?) still have their sons cut here.

clod
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 08:18 PM

dp

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2003, 08:56 PM

I think I have something to contribute to this, since I had it done when I was 20.

I had phimosis. It was bad enough the foreskin tore one evening. That was REALLY bad... contents under pressure!

First, it (the circumcision, not the tear) hurt way less than I thought it would. They gave me industrial strength pain killers, and they did the job. It was far more uncomfortable to have to lie in bed for a week (standing made it swell-up... no, not that way silly).

I am absolutely less sensitive, but frankly, I was way the hell too sensitive in the first place, so I have no complaints about that.

It also looks good (this is for you skywalker), it's actually one of the best jobs I've seen. I'm pretty sure this is a combo of having a good surgeon, who was also working on a fully developed set of equipment.

Of course... YMMV

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by subego:
I think I have something to contribute to this, since I had it done when I was 20.

I had phimosis. It was bad enough the foreskin tore one evening. That was REALLY bad... contents under pressure!

First, it (the circumcision, not the tear) hurt way less than I thought it would. They gave me industrial strength pain killers, and they did the job. It was far more uncomfortable to have to lie in bed for a week (standing made it swell-up... no, not that way silly).

I am absolutely less sensitive, but frankly, I was way the hell too sensitive in the first place, so I have no complaints about that.

It also looks good (this is for you skywalker), it's actually one of the best jobs I've seen. I'm pretty sure this is a combo of having a good surgeon, who was also working on a fully developed set of equipment.

Of course... YMMV
It's great to hear that you had a good experience. Thank you for sharing!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 04:24 AM

Any moron who calls this mutilation should have their fingers chopped off... two reasons, one they learn what mutilation IS, second they arn't able to type and write ignorant comments on internet forums
Heck lets cut out their tounge so they can't talk and know what mutilation is too!
By the way female cerc is tottaly different from male. Male you're removing a small part that causes the penis to not loose any sensitivity. Where as with females you're cutting out a huge sexual organ it's also generally done with unsanitary instruments and all kinds of stuff, basically it makes it so women won't cheat because after all they can't even enjoy sex.

THAT is cruel, for a guy it's just causing it to be less sensetive... infact now that I think about it maybe I should get mine cut.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 30, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Any moron who calls this mutilation should have their fingers chopped off... two reasons, one they learn what mutilation IS, second they arn't able to type and write ignorant comments on internet forums
What are you talking about?

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 06:24 AM

Heck lets cut out their tounge so they can't talk and know what mutilation is too!
By the way female cerc is tottaly different from male. Male you're removing a small part that causes the penis to not loose any sensitivity. Where as with females you're cutting out a huge sexual organ it's also generally done with unsanitary instruments and all kinds of stuff, basically it makes it so women won't cheat because after all they can't even enjoy sex.

THAT is cruel, for a guy it's just causing it to be less sensetive... infact now that I think about it maybe I should get mine cut.
Surely you just contradicted yourself?

It's not as common here in the UK, unless for religous regions.
Out of my group of friends probably about 1 in 30 are cut.

Edit: Forgot to close the tag! Silly me.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
It's not just a matter of hygiene, but differences in anatomy and the genes. Some people are just more prone to infection. Some people need an appendectomy!
Penile infection is not terribly common in the rest of The Olde Civilized World - it's not really the Silent Death?.

I disagree that with males it's mutilation, it does not change form or function.
Ernm...maybe you should try reading the links above...you're wrong.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2003, 09:31 AM

[snip (har-de-har-har)]

Certainly, female genital mutilation is far worse.

But what you've written above is just a load of bull.

"Ernm...maybe you should try reading the links above...you're wrong."

-s*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2003, 09:37 AM

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 10:15 AM

Ah,...........forget it!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 02:06 PM

Elaine

Have you ever seen one?

Jerry

You mean that wasn't -

Elaine

Yeah.

Jerry

No.. you?

Elaine

Ya.

Jerry

What'd you think?

Elaine

(SHAKES HER HEAD) No...

Jerry

Not good?

Elaine

No, had no face, no personality, very dull. It was like a

martian. But hey, that's me.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

finboy
Mar 30, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Certainly, female genital mutilation is far worse.

But what you've written above is just a load of bull.

"Ernm...maybe you should try reading the links above...you're wrong."

-s*
How is it far worse? In terms of long-term complications in extreme cases? Is that what you mean?

Mutilation is MUTILATION.

finboy
Mar 30, 2003, 07:12 PM

You're not cut? Then SHUT THE F*CK UP. You don't need to restate the obvious -- I know all about female circumcision, infib, etc.

Read the research on that "small part" guys lose, and come back. I fail to see how "just causing it to be less sensitive" isn't a major problem.

Explain how it isn't mutilation, too. Find a solid argument for cutting off the tip of a kid's weiner.

So the limited form of female circumcision, where they just remove a small part of the flesh covering the important parts, would be ok? That flesh isn't NECESSARY for anything, kinda like an earlobe or male nipples.
( Last edited by finboy; Mar 30, 2003 at 07:23 PM. )

finboy
Mar 30, 2003, 07:26 PM

It's soo freaking not barbaric, the only reason I wasn't is cause my uncle had a bad incident with the knife so my dad wasn't and neither was I.
[edit: never mind.]

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 07:45 PM

Well in the USA it was pretty much what you do. Probably up until less than 10 years ago, they would just assume that you wanted it done, and if you didn't request otherwise they'd just do it.

I don't mind that I'm less sensitive (according to the research on this board somewhere between 30% and 75% of it) but I think that if this thing were much more sensitive, I wouldn't last 2 minutes in bed.

I think its a little strong to say that its mutilation. As someone on this very board has pointed out, its no big deal to him. We seem to have completely missed that comment in our discussion.

I went to middle school in California, where they make you shower with all your class mates, and to this day have never seen in person an uncircumsized penis. Out of everyone I know, I only know one person (that I know of) who isn't, and he's just a little baby, whose parents didn't have him cut. It is really very common here.

I'll probably let mine go without circumsition (if I ever have any boys) and let him decide. He'll be in the vast minority, though probably not as much as I would have been.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 07:48 PM

Any moron... ...in fact now that I think about it maybe I should get mine cut.
No, you should just pull it over your head instead (and I don't mean your glans). Might improve your attitude, if not your outlook! Oh, and " "

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
How is it far worse? In terms of long-term complications in extreme cases? Is that what you mean?

Mutilation is MUTILATION.
It's like the difference between losing one hand (still pretty functional) and losing both hands (function almost completely gone). As I said before, to make them equivalent, they would have to take the whole tip, instead of only the skin covering it.

I was a circumcised infant. They fouled it up, too. If I ever have any boys, no sharp objects are going to go anywhere near their wee-wees.

BlackGriffen

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 08:43 PM

Bottom line is that as mentioned previously, the sensation is experienced in the brain. I enjoy myself just fine thank you!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2003, 08:50 PM

Bottom line is that as mentioned previously, the sensation is experienced in the brain. I enjoy myself just fine thank you!
the point is that circumcision can cause damage. it can cause less sensation etc.

it is also an unnecessary procedure unless it is for medical reasons. (religous resons are quite fine, but hardly necessary)

imo, I think it should not be done as a rule, but only when needed. this is the 21st century, not the wild west. (right?)

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 08:52 PM

OK first of all I'm not cut, second of all "barbaric"? What the heck are you people on!? It's foreskin! It's not like you're lopping off a finger, foreskin provides a small bit of sexual pleasure and is a cancer risk that's it.
ROFL cancer risk? what are YOU on? Cancer in the penis is like, less common than male breast cancer. Should we go giving all men masectomies at birth too? After all, men have no use for the breast - it only provides a small bit of pleasure, and it's a greater cancer risk than the foreskin is...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 09:10 PM

Oh, and another comment.

Why are we even debating this? Sure, some people want to be circumcised, and some people don't. That's fine, people have differing opinions. Some people want to be pierced too, and some don't.

But what I don't understand is WHY ARE WE ROUTINELY CUTTING OFF PARTS OF BABIES' BODIES WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT? It is not necessary! If they want to be cut, that's fine, they can do it later in life on their own decision.

I am uncut and have never had a problem with mine, however I would prefer to be cut (I think it looks better and a few other reasons) - and yes, I will probably get it done later in life. And do you know what? I respect the fact that my parents didn't decide for me.

You don't cut parts of people's bodies off in anticpation of a problem! "Oh, there's a 0.02% chance that he could get penile cancer later in life, so let's just lop off his foreskin, that will carry less risk!" I'd like to see some stats on what is more common - cancer of the penis, or botched circumcisions. These can be as minor as skin bridges (little bits of skin that can join the head and the shaft, quite common apparently) to stories of boys that have been "sexually reassigned" as females from birth, because some random doctor accidently cut off the penis in a circ gone wrong! These people's lives have been severely fscked up, all because of a stupid unnecessary tradition.

It's pure insanity.

clod
Senior User
Mar 30, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
I will probably get it done later in life.
Just to warn you, it hurts like ****ing hell. Maybe that was just in my case though. They didn't even pain killers. I wasn't able to urinate without extreme pain for weeks. I even had to wear a cup for a month. If I were you I wouldn't get it done unless medically necisary.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by clod:
Just to warn you, it hurts like ****ing hell. Maybe that was just in my case though. They didn't even pain killers. I wasn't able to urinate without extreme pain for weeks. I even had to wear a cup for a month. If I were you I wouldn't get it done unless medically necisary.
Wise words.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2003, 12:19 AM

A couple of my friends have had it done for various reasons, and they said it was tender for a couple of weeks, and they could even masturbate gently after 3-4. I'm sure it's different for every individual, and I don't tend to feel pain much, so yeah...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 12:46 PM

the point is that circumcision can cause damage. it can cause less sensation etc.

it is also an unnecessary procedure unless it is for medical reasons. (religous resons are quite fine, but hardly necessary)

imo, I think it should not be done as a rule, but only when needed. this is the 21st century, not the wild west. (right?)
Point well taken. No surgery should be done unless medically necessary, and then after a 2nd opinion.

I still want to speak up for those of us 50% that have the circumcision already done. You can't really miss something that you never had.

Forum Links
Forum Rules