Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari V74

Safari V74
DAlex
May 15, 2003, 04:17 PM

Anyone noticed any probs or interesting changes? Just got it from software update and wondered if anyone had any issues with it.

It's meant to fix some ssl issues, not sure if anything else.

DAlex

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 04:19 PM

I think it fixes those security issues mentioned a few days ago.
This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 04:57 PM

Well it appears that they chose not to include the spell check persistence fix.

Oh well.

OAW

darkhawk64
May 15, 2003, 06:02 PM

What does the number mean? The last public release of Safari was v73 and the new one is v74. This implies to me that they haven't had a new build in about a month now. Does this seem odd to anyone? Just an observation.
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 06:26 PM

They probably use something like CVS and branched for the v73 release... When they discovered this problem they most likely just applied the required patches to that branch, instead of patching whatever the current development HEAD is. Less Q&A and faster turn around for the security release.

mishakim
Forum Regular
May 15, 2003, 06:49 PM

is there some trick to adding Safari to software update? It's never found Safari updates for me dispite the claim on Apple's site that it should.

There's also no sign of this update on Apple's site, the banner on the OS X page still says v73 is the latest.

edit: I downloaded anyway, despite the lack of evidence that it is a new version, and it is indeed v74. So they've updated the download, but not the web site.
( Last edited by mishakim; May 15, 2003 at 06:55 PM. )

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 15, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by mishakim:
is there some trick to adding Safari to software update? It's never found Safari updates for me dispite the claim on Apple's site that it should.
if it didn't show in software update for you it is probably because you did not have it in the applications folder....if you put it back in there the software update will find the new version(s) just fine.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
if it didn't show in software update for you it is probably because you did not have it in the applications folder....if you put it back in there the software update will find the new version(s) just fine.
This is true. It is the above mentioned kind of moronic behavior that makes it quite clear that "Mac" OS X is no Mac OS.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by ophion:
This is true. It is the above mentioned kind of moronic behavior that makes it quite clear that "Mac" OS X is no Mac OS.
I actually agree. We should be able to put stuff where we want! But I always just keep mine in Apps folder, but still...

of well... I guess we will have to wait for Panther
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 08:04 PM

Do I sense some animosity from you? Boy talk about a depressed Mac User.

Man, they take away OS 9 and all heck breaks loose. I dunno man but MY Mac feels more like a Mac than it ever has and I LOVE IT.

As for the afore mentioned 'bug', why does it not make sense that the APPLICATIONS Folder is where APPLICATIONS go? I don't understand this need to put things wherever you feel like it, it just causes chaos in the long run.

What do you want apple to do? Pull an OS 9 where it says "This is an Application, I will be moving it to the applications folder now and there's NOTHING you can do to stop me!"

Ugh, people and progress

Mac Guru

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:

Man, they take away OS 9 and all heck breaks loose. I dunno man but MY Mac feels more like a Mac than it ever has and I LOVE IT.

As for the afore mentioned 'bug', why does it not make sense that the APPLICATIONS Folder is where APPLICATIONS go? I don't understand this need to put things wherever you feel like it, it just causes chaos in the long run.

What do you want apple to do? Pull an OS 9 where it says "This is an Application, I will be moving it to the applications folder now and there's NOTHING you can do to stop me!"

Ugh, people and progress
No animosity here. That the Installer/Software Update doesn't search for the application is just a bug. Independant of what the OS 9 behavior was.
There are maybe no good reasons to keep an application out of one of the Applications folder, but there are good reasons to organize the Applications folder with sub folders. The OS should support that.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mindwaves
May 15, 2003, 08:18 PM

Seems maybe 5% more Snappier(tm) to me! :-D

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2003, 08:19 PM

I have always put my applications in an "Applications" folder in Mac OS. I do, however, make subfolders that smartly divide applications by type. This technique often breaks Software Update, which is not a Mac OS behavior. It has never mattered where applications lived in Mac OS, even if one chose to place them outside of an "Applications" folder.

Progress is moving forward, not moving backward, BTW.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
Seems maybe 5% more Snappier(tm) to me! :-D

Your not alone it is def faster notibly. More than 5% on my machine more like 10-15%...I like when they sneak in those speed increases.

otter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2003, 12:28 AM

Progress is moving forward, not moving backward, BTW.

I guess the OS isn't backward compatible with the prior states of everyone's brain.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 02:06 AM

Mac Guru
Major Apple Apologist Alert.

You should be able to organize your applications - not being able to do so is a step back. PERIOD. How can you even say otherwise with a straight face?

ANSWER: YES - I *do* feel I should be able to create a folder called 'Internet Applications' and still have Software Update work as expected.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2003, 05:29 AM

People often bring up the software update 'problem', and I can sort of see what they're talking about.

As I understand it, certain people want the update to look throughout all mounted drives for the app to update.

Now there are a few installer updates which do this (Macromedia?), all well and good when you've got a sixty gig drive on a relatively new mac, but when you've got 320 gig RAID as well, and also any networked drives it's ridiculous. I often have to force quit the crappy installer after I think it's done.

Maybe not that common, and maybe they're is a better way, a more intelligent installer, but as far as I'm concerned all applications go in the applications folder, from there I can have aliases where ever I want.

We have a kind of deal, I hardly ever go in there (applications), and it (the mac) just works.

dice
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
...but as far as I'm concerned all applications go in the applications folder,
The application folder is a logical place to install apps but the installer should at least search the subfolders inside the Applications folder and also in ~/Applications/.... at the very least.

Giano
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by dice:
The application folder is a logical place to install apps but the installer should at least search the subfolders inside the Applications folder and also in ~/Applications/.... at the very least.
it's useless try to show, to explain...
"there's no bug in X, all that X do is the right thing, you are a man of the past, this is the future, the os is not your os, the os is Jobs' os, is Apple's os, it is the Os of the Truth..."
amen

renpar61
Forum Regular
May 16, 2003, 09:51 AM

Maybe it's not so tragic, but I can't remove underlined links with Safari Toolkit anymore...

fivelittlefish
May 16, 2003, 09:53 AM

I updated and now half my cookies are missing.

Which is irritating...

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by ophion:
OS 9 wasn't better. StuffIt Expander always had to remain in the same folder in order to get updated. If it wasn't there OS 9 just reinstalled it. Even if the newest version was already installed.

The only thing that behaviour makes clear is that software update should be better programmed and able to find the applications wherever they are.

moggy
May 18, 2003, 03:27 AM

There is a little lock on the very top right of the browser when you've entered a secure site.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

OpenStep
Senior User
May 18, 2003, 05:26 AM

I've noticed this version of Safari likes to eat up swap space. After using Safari for a couple hours and I quit it the drive grinds a lot and some disk space disappears. Once I restart the disk space comes back. Wierd...

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2003, 05:59 AM

I have had it 'unexpectedly quit' 4 or 5 times since upgrading a couple of days ago. Something that never happened with the previous rev. Other than that it does seem a bit faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules