Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is My Computer Dead?

Is My Computer Dead?
moggy
Jul 14, 2003, 07:35 PM

Hi there,

I've got a Blue/White G3 and a week ago I backed up all of my stuff and reformatted the entire hard drive. I was running in OS 9.1 at the time, but I started back at 8.6 since it originally came with that CD. I was able to install OS 8.6 correctly, but I cannot install OS 9.

The computer constantly freezes, and when I try to boot off from the CD it just freezes and tells me that "InterfaceLib--FSpGezFInfo" could not be found. The only way I can launch into 8.6 without it freezing at startup is by turning off extensions. (The thing is that I started clean so I don't have any new extensions) So when I startup in 8.6 with extemsions off and I try to run the OS 9 installer, it freezes and says Bus Error. I ran Norton Disk Doctor and everything seemed fine, and I ran Apple Disk Repair and it was ok as well.

I just want to get a clean 9.0 on there so that I can move up from there.

Thanks for any advice!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

reader50
Administrator
Jul 14, 2003, 08:02 PM

Are you using the original video card, or something later? A card designed later than your machine might not be recognized correctly by the system on the original CDs.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 09:34 PM

firmware updates? OS9 hard disk drivers? Everything yup to date? Can you install OSX?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2003, 12:32 PM

Try booting off the OS 9 CD and doing a clean install. If that don't let you boot into the machine, post back for more options.

moggy  (op)
Jul 15, 2003, 03:58 PM

Well, I got the original ATA Rage graphics card in there.

I did the firmware updater on the OS 9 CD, but I can't seem to be able to install OS 9 (I'm on 8.6) because it just tells me I have bus errors.

Would it be wise to install OS X on top of everything. I'm so used to getting OS 9 up to at least OS 9.1 and then I'd put on OS X. For some reason it seems like there are some serious errors.

I'm gonna try to wipe out the disk again from the OS 9 CD.

( Last edited by moggy; Jul 15, 2003 at 04:10 PM. )

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

moggy  (op)
Jul 15, 2003, 07:08 PM

Ok, I spent the day trying again. So here are the results.

The only way I can boot from 8.6 is with extensions off but whenever I click on anything in Finder it crashes.

I cannot boot from the 8.6 CD nor the 9.0 CD. They both crash and tell me I have Bus errors.

However, now, when I startup in 8.6 it started running Disk First Aid (hasn't for a long time) and the strangest thing happened where one of my desktops showed up (not an Apple desktop). But I totally wiped out the disk! Did the clean initialization.

Oh, and I can't boot from Norton CD, nor can I install it. And if I boot from 8.6 and try to install 9.0 from there, the 9.0 installer crashes.

I'm a bit lost now.

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by moggy:
Ok, I spent the day trying again. So here are the results.

The only way I can boot from 8.6 is with extensions off but whenever I click on anything in Finder it crashes.

I cannot boot from the 8.6 CD nor the 9.0 CD. They both crash and tell me I have Bus errors.

However, now, when I startup in 8.6 it started running Disk First Aid (hasn't for a long time) and the strangest thing happened where one of my desktops showed up (not an Apple desktop). But I totally wiped out the disk! Did the clean initialization.

Oh, and I can't boot from Norton CD, nor can I install it. And if I boot from 8.6 and try to install 9.0 from there, the 9.0 installer crashes.

I'm a bit lost now.
I had a similar problem on a performa 6400 and I finally traced it back to a bad ram dimm. Changed out the ram and viola. If you are using 3rd party ram I would change that out. The other thing you could try is removing some of the ram and then try to restart. If it starts it was the ram, if it doesn't heck you can at least sell the ram on ebay.
Hope this helps.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 11:31 AM

hardware CUDA reset... little grey button on motherboard

power down
open up
press & hole - 30 sec
close
reboot

reset date/time

might fix it... its fixed alot for me

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules